A fortune in freedom

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Set your story in a casino.... view prompt

0 comments

Urban Fantasy Fantasy Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The wheel turned, the awful lights flickered and the beeping sounds of the device were merely an afterthought at the sight of that pin. “Come on, green.. come on.” I whispered between my lips, twirling the stick of that free lollipop. I wasn’t alone but I was next, win or lose, this twirl was gonna be my last. I could see his eyes, those unnatural red eyes.. a mere cosplay that fit the scene to most but no to me, no I knew the truth and they knew that I knew that my time was either about to get bright, or very dark. The spin became slower, time became slower, or was it my heart that beat faster? Who even knew at this point. I could try and run, but there’s no point really. Come on Jeff be real, old man like me gonna outrun these pricks? Besides I got nowhere to go, and the outcome hasn’t been decided yet, not yet… not.. “Shit!” I stood there looking at the outcome, four chances at green, 8 chances at the others, but black? Here they come. “Right right congratulations one and all, as for you sir, you know the deal, you signed it yourself.” arrogant prick, but yeah there it was, my signature. I shuddered and looked down to the ground, this is it then.. ah well I suppose the house never loses.. “Come on sir don’t be so sour, It’s not a complete lost cause.” the croupier said as two of the casino’s big muscles came standing behind him. He clapped again “Right my fellow wheel of fortune seekers, please make way for this brave gentlemen so we can give you folk another shot!”

And like that I had no choice but to do as I was told, I held up my hands and broke a smirk “Ah that sucks, I know the drill, lead the way..” and off we went towards that black door the crowd will never notice. “That’s the spirit Jefferson, you’ve learned well and I’m sure I’ll see you back some day… or not a-hahaha” I’d keep my smirk on though I hated his guts, damn prick. The two guards were quiet as ever as they led me to my suffering. They opened the door, I stepped through, and with a slam it was dark. I couldn’t hope to see anyone but I knew they saw me, and just like that day it first happened my neck was grabbed by that cold familiar iron… at least they didn’t jerk me around like that day, I wouldn’t resist and they knew it. Screaming wouldn’t make any difference, the room was sound proof and those awful pretty colors and sounds would hide it even if it did came through. Before I knew it I was tugged along till I finally saw some light again, that same light I’ve seen over and over again, that damned light… “Aww it’s crying…” “hehe well sis I think he’s been pretty lucky having survived this long.” “hehe yes it’s avoided the more dangerous clients so far..”

It didn’t take long to arrive at the elevator where they wrapped me up and loaded me in like cargo, the little old metal thing went down into the depths and it took as long as it ever did. I counted the seconds, but I would drive myself weary before I’d reach the bottom. It felt like hours had passed but I doubt it actually was. After a while the heat and pressure of the deep earth made me drowsy, I would always pass out but I’ve begun to wake up sooner than before, I was so glad when I saw that crystal light again, the pressure finally dropping and the air becoming cooler. If anything was a solace it was that this domain unknown to most of Humanity on the surface still had it’s beautiful sights. Those pretty lights, the colorful air that danced through the enormous cave systems. The music… that music.. below me was the other side of the establishment, pretty lights and loud cheerful music escaped it despite their efforts to keep it hidden. Here it came, down down down and… darkness.

“Ohoho looks like ol' Jeffy still didn’t manage to buy his freedom, I’m starting to feel truly sorry for you pal.” I sighed. “Thanks Luth.” I couldn’t see him but it was always the same Luthi that received the victims. He was alright for his kind, I mean he was still a rat man but he wasn’t as vicious as the others I’ve gotten to know. Luthi was gentle to the victims under his care, after a while you don’t even hold it against him that he prepares you for the next bit. There I stood again, stripped naked. I crossed my fingers as I heard the music boom through the walls, then Luthi patted my back “I’ll pray to your god for you, we got some nasties today” and with that he pulled the lever, the door swung and I stepped out to stare down at the crowd of cheering abnormal beings. Vampires, rat men, creatures I don’t even know what they are!

“Step right up and witness your next prize, not a hot dame but a familiar face, I think he broke a record because this is his twelfth time standing here!!! Give it up for Jefferson!” the announcer was a vampire dressed as fancy as a black and golden peacock, the crowd cheered on at Jefferson as a female vampire in the back shouts “Damnnnn looking good Jeffy you slippery fox!” the announcer twirled his mustache before he spoke again. “Yes, now this thirty-something year old survivor came in years ago when he was but a young lad betting his freedom for a larger than life sum of dollars, he’s survived eleven masters, I’ve seen him go with seductive mistresses, mighty lords and cruel beasts and yet here he stands! Known for doing exactly what you tell him to he could be your perfect slave. This time his last game was the wheel of fortune! So that is exactly what we’re going with. Twenty-four slots! Twenty-four contestants! Pick a slot and gamble the highest bid! Go on now!”

Quit a lot was happening down there, I couldn’t tell who bid what but I knew there were contestants who came here to buy expensive snacks… contestants I hoped to avoid. Then it started, The wheel turned, the awful lights flickered and the ticking sounds of the wooden device were merely an afterthought at the sight of that pin. I didn’t know what to root for, but I hoped the outcome would spare me, tick tick tick tick… it slowed down… it pointed to the unlikeliest of colors: Black. I heard a “Yes!” from the crowd but could not trace it. Luthi pulled me back from the stage and helped me with my suit, I could have asked him but it didn’t matter, besides he wouldn’t know either from backstage. The next victim was being brought forth, she was spooked and shivering. Just like I was back then. I was bound with ropes and brought to the cargo lift to be handed out as a prize at the bottom. There I went… down down down.. till it opened and I came face to face with my new owner.

The End.

January 13, 2023 22:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.