Life, As I see It

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Set your story on (or in) a winding river.... view prompt

2 comments

Speculative Fantasy

Some people say that life is like a video game, where we are the main characters inside our own stories. Others say life is like a walk down a path that's both ugly and pretty. While others say that life is merely a play and the world a stage and us the players. 

Meanwhile, some folks say that life is like a tuna sandwich on top of a rainbow-colored hill, getting chewed by a sunglassed feathered viking goat that yodels.

No questions, please.

However, life, for me, is but a rusty boat traversing down a winding river...

"Approaching shallow waters!" yells Tom, one of my crew. He stands at the bow. "We're still winding"

My name is Tom. I own the rusty boat. No. There is no one else on it but me. Multiple mes. I (we) keep the boat afloat, but from different perspectives.

I am my own crew. 

So is everyone. I can see their boats in their own different rivers. 

All rivers are winding. But some are calm. Others wild. Others have waters that harbour dangerous creatures. Others dried up and their boats are stuck in sand. Unable to move on unless someone else invites them to their rivers. But that would take a lot of risks and sacrifices. It rarely occurs. 

I guess that's life.

My boat is rusty and on the verge of capsizing. My single engine moans and groans. I had to let go of some goods to lessen the labour. Everyone does it, at some point. Those who don't...I saw their stern lastly as it submerged into the waters. 

I can still see my hard earned possessions, now jetsam, sadly floating away behind my boat. What a waste. But what's gone is gone. I can't go back for them. The river is too narrow for a turn. I've seen people trying to turn their boats even in wider sections of their rivers. Their boats weren't up for the task of pushing back upstream. The rivers flow in one direction. And going the opposite can be nobble, but fatal. 

I guess that's life. 

"How shallow?" I ask Tom. A long, screeching sound comes up and the boat trembles.  

"That shallow." Tom answers. "Not too much though. We should make it through."

"Oh no no, Tom" I say. I get up from my chair. The sun is up. I was basking while jamming on to "Swift Drift" by "Trojanns". I love that band. I down my champagne. I require this to stay sane. Taking some time off the normal boat errands is a necessity. But the limited time off usually comes in measure. Just enough. If you indulge too much in leisure, I don't have to mention that your boat will sink.

But then I did. 

"You know the Titanic?" I ask, as I walk towards the lower deck to inspect the damage. Tom follows me.

"Hi Tom." I say to the cook as I pass by.

"Hello Tom." He answers back. "Don't forget, tonight's all greens."

"Oh come on, Tom." I protest. "We just had greens yesterday."

Chef Tom simply shrugs his shoulders. "Whatever mate, your boat, your call."

Chef Tom. Such a pleasant nutritionist. He advices me on what to eat. I can choose to abide. Or eat what I want...if it's available. 

Every boat in these rivers each has a chef. The owners have one simple job of heeding to their suggestions.  

But, to fulfil the human nature, some wise guy throws theirs overboard just because he didn't allow ice-cream for breakfast.

Since then, his river has been empty. Apparently, after two weeks minus his chef, his boat gave up on the weight and sunk.

I guess that's life.

"Of course you dummy, I am you" Tom says. I am briefly embarrassed.

"Right. So you get my point?" I ask. 

We only share memories and experiences with my other selves. Ideas, discernments, comprehension ability and such come uniquely from each one of us. 

"Yes." He answers. I reach my berth and notice water flowing in through a small fissure on the metal floor. I fold my arms and turn to Tom. 

"And what code might this be?" I ask.

Tom pulls out his Convertometer and scans the crack. 

"The Mustard Seed." He says. "Will grow to become something huge."

"Specifically?" I ask. 

"An obsession that'll lead to a habit and then addiction."

"Patch it up quick." I say. 

My my, if I had ignored this, my poor boat could've slowly sunk without me noticing. Sure, there is a point I could have noticed the water, but now there's the trouble of spending my precious sleeping hours scooping water off my boat just to keep it afloat. 

I guess that's life.

"Handy Tom will be on it in a couple of seconds." Tom says. I stand with him on the bow, watching as the boat swerves and turns with the winding narrow river.

"How much fuel have we left?" I ask. 

"For the millionth time, Tom, we don't know." Tom says. "Nobody knows. Not even the bloke with a Yatch."

Tom sighs. "The fuel will end when its time comes."

I guess that's life.

I remain silent and watch as the river winds on and on. The boat swerves, rocking on and on.

"Sharks!" I suddenly turn to the source of the scream. A Tom comes running in. He's missing an arm. I can hear thuds as the large globules of blood hit the wooden floor. 

I rush to the Tom. He falls into my arms. He was in charge of bringing in supplies. He's dead.

His body vaporizes through my arms. The wooden floor is left clean. 

"Get the guns!" I yell.

One of the large sharks, the size of a van, rams into the side of my boat. The boat shunts to the left and scratches on the wall-like banks. 

A Tom is thrown off the helm and goes rolling across the floor and overboard. Poor guy doesn't get to splash in the water. The sharks devour him in mid air.

That was the Steering Tom! 

The boat crashes into the winding river bank and makes a sudden turn with the bend. The helm spins rapidly. The long, deathly sound of metal tearing occupies the atmosphere.

I can see the dark figures lurking around under the water. I rush to the spinning helm and grab it. My arms almost rip off. I spin it on the opposite direction and the boat leaves the bank. I begin to navigate in the winding river.

The sharks keep on hitting and it seems that they won't quit till my boat capsizes. 

"Tom, what the hell is this!" I shout.

A shark pops out from the water in front of me. Time slows as it goes airborne, directly towards me.

"Bankruptcy!" He shouts back, looking from his Convertometer.

We are so sinking.

"Hey!"

I turn. 

On the river to my right is another boat. The rocket comes hissing into an explosion with the shark. Blood and flesh splatters all around me. 

"Tom, look! Up ahead!" Tom shouts. His voice is filled with merry. I don't change my gaze. It remains solid on the boat to my right. Madelene. Deux ex Machina. Every boat has it. Usually comes at a timing of its own.

I guess that'slife.

I've seen this happening to others. Them meeting their other halves. I guess this is mine. I smile back.

I look up ahead. Joy.

Our rivers merge. Her waters flow into mine and mine into hers. 

But there is a condition.

We have to stick to the shared river until one or both of our fuels run out. Her problems will be mine and mine hers. My fortunes will be hers and hers mine.

But then, if there is a true bond between us, just as I feel with Madelene, the conditions are unexisting. They'll not be conditions, rather than a priceless gift.

I guess that's life.

"Just in case you haven't noticed, your boat is sinking." Madelene shouts from her boat. Her river has no sharks. But it's winding though, just like the rest. One of her Madelenes is at the helm.

The rivers merge. Her boat approaches mine. She offers a hand. 

This is one of the most rarest of occasions. A lady offering a hand to a gentleman.

I like her already.

Ahead, my waters are clear. I only have to deal with the sharks and I'll be back to the normal winding. 

But Madelene, up ahead, has a waterfall. 

My boat can sustain the shark hits just a few more times for me to gather enough firepower to shoo them off. And I won't have to join Madelene in the waterfall. 

I have no idea what lies after the waterfall.

I am curious though, because I can't seem to resist. And if I did, I can't just oppose the current, which leads straight to Madelene. 

I guess that's life.

No one sees what will be coming after the merge. It's just a leap of faith and trust.

I guess that's life.

I let go of the helm and my boat drifts into the merged waters with Madelene. The sharks vaporize. 

I'm not sure of how to explain it, but, our boats merged to one, but I was still in possession of mine. And she could still steer hers.

I'm still at the helm. Madelene steps next to me. She holds my hand. I look into her green eyes. I can hear the waterfall. The breeze gently slides past my skin.

"Together, till our fuels run out." she says.

"Together." I say. 

We face the waterfall.

Madelene turns to one of her Madelenes. "Would you please run the scan?"

I turn to Tom and nod. He runs the waterfall scan. 

They turn their faces away from the scanners and onto us. They're smirking. 

"Well, out with it." We both say.

"Marriage." They both say.

The boat reaches the waterfall. I sigh.

Well, I guess life happens in many different ways. And this is how mine happens. Whatever awaits down there, at the foot of the waterfall and beyond, I have no idea.

All I can do is brace for the worst but still hope for the best. 

The boat descends into the waterfall.

June 14, 2021 16:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

V Sage
06:12 Jun 24, 2021

I like the euphemism used to describe life.

Reply

Martin Mururu
07:04 Jun 24, 2021

Thank you V!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.