The Bird's Feather

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Write a story about someone finding acceptance.... view prompt

0 comments

Sad Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

In the midst of an unending void, a white bird fluttered silently, its glowing feathers reflecting the faint, silvery light that filtered through the darkness. The bird was a small beacon in the oppressive darkness, its gentle glow casting a soft light around the girl standing beneath it.

And wow, what was she ugly. 

A face you have seen many times before, a face masked by fear.

The bird took a look at the girl and fluttered towards her. It dived through the void like it has done many times before, hoping for acceptance. As it neared her, the girl’s face began to crack and crumble, like she was wearing a mask. Each inch the bird closed, a piece of the mask fell away, revealing glimpses of her true self.

The girl made eye contact with the bird, her revealed right eye briefly shining with hope. However, a thick fog began to rise from below her, curling around her legs and slowly enveloping her, causing her eyes to change to fear. In response, the bird’s glow began to flicker and dim. Realizing it couldn’t proceed further, the bird retreated, its light growing stronger once more as it moved away.

She turned her back to the bird and picked up the fallen pieces of her mask. As she reattached them, her face appeared even more cracked and …broken.

Her movements were hesitant, perhaps because she wasn't entirely sure if she wanted to proceed. Yet, she knew that behind her was something she couldn’t reach, forever hidden behind a wall of fog by her fear. A wall waiting to be broken by someone who cares enough to tell her how amazing she is just the way she is. But no one has stepped forward, for no one knows who lies behind the mask.

She kept walking until she reached a swing, so dark and shadowy that it was easy to overlook. She always came back to it, drawn by the memories of her past. She still remembered the countless hours spent soaring high into the sky, feeling free and joyful, even though she couldn't quite remember why she felt that way. Whenever she felt sad or scared, she would retreat to this swing.

As memories flowed back, she recalled how her father and mother used to push her, their laughter mingling with hers as she soared higher. Those moments were filled with warmth and love. Joyfully, she looked back, hoping to see them again. But there was only fog, thick and impenetrable. The swing slowed and came to a stop, the joyful motion replaced by stillness

Her parents would always be there for her, and they still are, but she doesn't know them anymore. No matter how physically close they are to her, the mask is always in between, making their connection feel a million miles away.

The girl reaches out, her fingers brushing against the cold, damp chains. Why does she fear them? Why does she hide from them? She doesn’t know.

Taking a deep breath, she stood up from the swing, which faded away right after. In front of her was only an expanse of void, resembling the emptiness within her and offering no clear direction to follow. She looked up at the sky and saw the glowing white bird, the only contrast to the surrounding darkness.

Could she ever reach it? She wondered that every day. Silently, she watched the bird. As she gazed, something caught her eye: one of the bird's feathers had detached from its body. The feather floated gently downwards with noticeable grace, almost as if it were alive and had a purpose, guiding her eyes towards it. She watched as the feather descended, leaving a shimmering trail in its wake. With each passing second, it seemed to grow larger. Finally, it reached her, and she caught it in her hand. It was now just a bit smaller than her palm, glowing softly against her skin.

When she took a closer look at the feather, she saw a reflection. It wasn't just any reflection—it was herself. But it wasn't the frightened, uncertain girl she often saw in the mirror. This reflection showed her true self: strong, determined, and resilient. Two figures appeared behind her in the reflection; they were more recognizable than ever. It was her parents, putting their hands on her shoulders, feeling closer to her than ever. With tears in her eyes, she turned around to look them in their eyes, but they weren't there.

Her heart ached with the longing to feel their presence again, not just as the mask, but as the girl behind it. But she knew that the feather wasn't a literal vision but a message. She clutched the feather tighter, its warmth spreading through her, merging with the courage she now recognized within herself. She looked at the bird again, this time with a determination in her eyes that hadn't been there for a long time. She started running towards the bird, reaching out her hand. The bird noticed this immediately, diving through the sky towards her, its glow even brighter. She came closer and closer to the bird, but it didn't take long for her to be surrounded by a wall of fog, this time larger and closer to her than ever.

The fog thickened around her, making it almost impossible to see the bird. She tried to avoid the fog, but it was all around her. Two figures came out of the fog; even though still covered by fog, their bodies were visible. It was her parents, but all she could see was fear, judgment, and rejection. She could hear their voices and those of others she knew.

"You'll never make it." Desperate, she turned around, but of course there was again a wall of fog.

"You're not strong enough." She dropped to her knees.

"Why even try?" The determination in her eyes was replaced with fear.

"Everyone will judge you." Trembling, she covered her eyes with her hands.

"You're all alone in this." Why doesn't it stop?

"You're a failure." Why won't it stop???!!

"They will never understand you." Is all that they're saying true?

"You'll always be stuck here." No, she thought, trembling, clutching the feather even tighter.

A steady flame seemed to appear by her side, changing her eyes back to courage. Quickly she stood up and ran towards the fog. As she moved forward, the ground beneath her feet lit up, each step illuminating the path ahead. The fire beside her made a clearance in the fog, and she could see the bird again, its light dimming and flickering. She ran through the smoke. 

The fog tried to close in around her, but the flame burned brighter, creating a path of light through the darkness. The voices grew louder, and she heard mocking laughter coming from all directions, making her feel as if she were the subject of some cruel joke. But she shook her head, refusing to be intimidated, focusing on the warmth of the feather instead.

She could see the bird more clearly now. The ground beneath her feet continued to light up, guiding her forward. The flame beside her flickered and danced, pushing back the fog and silencing the voices.

She could feel the presence of her parents, not as figures of judgment, but as symbols of love and support. Their hands on her shoulders, their encouragement in her ears. She knew they believed in her, and now, she believed in herself. 

She could make it. Why? Because she is strong.

 A soul so strong and beautiful that I found it worth writing a story about. 

With one final burst of energy, she sprinted towards the bird. The fog parted, and the path ahead became clear. As she closed the distance, the bird twirled around, chirping happily, filling her with warmth and light. She reached out her hand, and the bird landed gently in her palm. Its feathers were soft and warm, reminding her of the courage and strength she had discovered within herself. They looked into each other's eyes for a moment, before the bird faded away and entered gently inside her. 

The fog dissipated entirely, and instead of being surrounded by void and darkness, she was in her garden, bathed in light. Flowers began to bloom around her feet. She looked around and saw her mother putting wet clothes on the clothing line, her father mowing the grass, her little brother playing with his toy airplane. Her neighbor, with a cup of coffee, waved toward her while taking the mail out of his mailbox. Happily, she waved back.

It may all look so normal, but the eyes behind the mask hadn't seen this simple beauty in a long time. Everything around her, every direction she could go seemed to have a destination worth reaching. But no matter what she reached in her life, today she achieved the biggest accomplishment imaginable: becoming who she truly is.

In front of her feet was dust, from the mask that had fallen apart. She reached out her hand to feel her face. She walked towards a pond, and in the reflection, she again saw not a scared girl hiding behind a mask, but her true self. 

And wow.

What she saw was beautiful.

June 21, 2024 21:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.