0 comments

Drama Sad

A woman sat at an outdoor table at a Los Angeles restaurant called Bistro le Bouche. A waiter had approached her table with a serving tray with a basket of bread chunks and a pitcher full of iced water. "No, thank you." said the woman.

This woman was Lila Preston, and she was the wife of Dirk Preston, famous Football Star and Movie Actor. When Dirk was offered a role in an upcoming Action Movie, Dirk and Lila moved from Portland, Maine, to Southern California and Dirk signed on with the regional Football Team, whereas Lila was working as a beautician at an upscale salon for actresses, models and pop singers. When they settled in and Dirk started his career in Hollywood, Dirk got swept up in the fame, the parties, the spotlight, the Drugs, and, unfortunately for Lila, the women of Hollywood.

Lila had felt like she had been pushed aside for her Husband's fortune and fame. When they first dated and got married, Lila was the center of Dirk's Attention, but once he made his first game winning Touchdown for the Portland Narwhals at last year's Super Bowl tournament, Lila became his second most important priority, next to his Football Career, and then later, his movie star career.

Twenty days earlier....

Lila had since found out that Dirk had been unfaithful to her behind her back, and was heartbroken about it. She talked to him about it one night at the dining room table of their mansion.

"Dirk....Have you been cheating on me?" Lila asked.

"What? Why would you ask that?!" Dirk asked.

"Who's Chanelle?" Who's Rhoda?" Lila asked, holding up Dirk's phone, which had elicit text messages on it from two contacts named "Chanelle" and named "Rhoda".

"....You know what, Lila? I'm sorry. I am cheating on you, but I'll make it up to you. I'm done with Chanelle! Rhoda and I are over! Tomorrow I'm telling Rhoda and Chanelle that I never want to see either one of them again. At the end of this month, I'll have the day off, so I'll take you out to dinner at that bistro on 3rd street and Mojave avenue, how does that sound?" Dirk said.

"If you really mean it, then...That sounds nice. I'll put it down in my calendar on my phone." Lila answered.

So Lila put the date and time on the calendar on her phone.

On the last Friday of the month, Dirk Preston told Chanelle and Rhoda he never wanted to see her again, just like he promised, and made reservations at the Bistro le Bouche. Earlier that evening, Dirk drove his car to the Restaurant. On his way, Dirk had the option of either driving on the interstate or driving on the freeway, so he mulled over whether he should drive on the interstate or drive on the freeway. He finally decided on taking the Freeway. Once he was the Freeway he had gotten stuck behind a Traffic Jam that spanned a block and a half.

The Traffic on the Freeway moved at a Snail's Pace. By the time the Traffic Jam finally cleared up, Dirk was already 30 minutes late. 

Dirk then had to take a detour due to ongoing road construction, which took Dirk an extra 10 minutes just to find an alternate route to the restaurant.

For as long as Lila had waited at the Table for her husband to show up, the Candle on the table had burned all the way down to the bottom of the candlestick, and her husband still hadn't arrived at the Bistro yet.

Hot tears dripped down her face.

"I knew it. He IS over me after all...I might as well go home..." Lila muttered to herself.

Crushed, Lila paid for her water and bread, wrote a note on a sheet of notepad paper, and hailed a nearby Taxi Cab.

"Take me to the Airport. I'm going back home to Portland..." Lila said to the Taxi Cab Driver.

About 5 minutes later, Dirk arrived, only to find that Lila wasn't there. A Waiter gave him the note Lila left.

"I can see that you chose Rhoda over me, so I flew back to Portland. Hope she was worth it. Your soon-to-be-ex-wife."

Distraught, Dirk called Chanelle

"Hey, Chanelle. My wife and I split up. Would you like to get back together?" Asked Dirk.

"Well maybe you should've thought of that before you said you were done with me!" Chanelle then hung up on him.

Dirk then Rhoda on his cell-phone instead.

"Hi, Rhoda. My wife and I split up. Would you like to get back together?" Dirk asked.

"It's too late, Dirk. You had your chance and you told me you never wanted to see me again!"

Rhoda then hung up on Dirk.

Dirk wiped tears from his eyes, and as he walked out, he bumped into an up-and-coming Pop Singer named Stella.

"Hey, you're Dirk Preston! I loved your movie! You look down, is something the matter?" Stella said.

"Well, I could talk to you about it over dinner, how does that sound?" Dirk asked.

Lila flew back to Portland and filed for Divorce. A couple of weeks later, Lila sat at the docks, staring absentmindedly at the sea when she met a Fisherman on the docks.

"Hello, ma'am. You look sad. Is something wrong?" asked the Fisherman.

"My Husband left me." Lila said.

"That sucks. Would you like to join me for a Lobster Roll? It'll be my treat!" said the Fisherman.

Lila looked at the Fisherman and smiled. "Sure. I'd like that.... Say, what's your name?"

"My name is Francis." said the Fisherman.

"My name is Lila." said Lila.

Dirk had ended up getting remarried to Stella, while Lila had ended up getting remarried to Francis and working as a Hairdresser at a local Salon.

Author's note: This is sadder than my usual work. Sorry for the sad story, but I promise to make a happier story later to make up for this.

May 28, 2021 00:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.