A Beautiful Smile

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Set your story on (or in) a winding river.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Drama Suspense

This time of year was never fun. It is just a constant reminder of how everything has changed and there is no going back. The cold crisp air would burn my lungs with every breath. The clear blue sky showed no signs of clouds, yet the air was filled with falling frost. These extreme temperatures freeze the little humidity there is in the atmosphere. Any small breeze cuts through the smallest opening in your clothing. Exposed skin can freeze in minutes. Moving water becomes solid on the surface, but it still moves underneath. This moving water causes uneven thickness on the river behind the barn. We were always warned not to play there but a dare was a dare. 

We agreed to meet behind the barn after dinner, sneak out after chores. There were seven of us that evening. The night sky was clear and the full moon made it almost as bright as daytime. You could see for miles across the bare frosted prairie fields. The ground was as hard as stone and the grass would crunch beneath your every step like dry straw. I was the first to show, then came Violet and Steve. We waited a long time before the rest showed up. Edward and little Tommy arrived next, then Willow and Frances. We were all bundled up to eyeballs. We were good at interpreting our muffled language through the layers. Steve and I built a fire to warm us up before the challenge.

The dare was simple. How many times can you cross the river. We did it every cold snap and without fail little Tommy was always the first to go. He would chicken out half way across and his older brother Edward would tease him about it the rest of the year. Not this time, little Tommy made it all the way across. I don’t know who was shaking more, Tommy or Edward. The far side of the river had a small grove of trees with a large maple close to the river. That is where we would carve our initials when we crossed our first time. Little Tommy was the only name not on it. He proudly walked up to the tree, pulled out his penknife and added his to the list. We saw him jumping up and down down in triumph. We all cheered and whistled. Edward pulled his scarf from his face and yelled out to Tommy. “I guess we can’t call you little Tommy anymore!” Tommy pulled his down and yelled back. “That’s right! No more little Tommy! Wooo Whooo!” The highlight of the evening, Tommy gained a new level which gave him bragging rights.

The rest of us crossed one by one with no problem, until it was Violet’s turn. She was three quarters of the way across when there was an ungodly rumble from beneath the ice. We all froze in place as we watched her fall through. She screamed and managed to catch herself on the edge of the hole. I was the first to move, followed close behind by Steve. We formed a line and made our way out to her. I got on my belly and inched my way out to her, Steve held my feet. I could see the terror in her eyes as she desperately clawed at the ice. When I was within reach, she grabbed coat sleeve with both hands. I grabbed her and started pulling with all my might. I could hear her teeth chattering as she slowly crawled out of the hole. I heard Steve yell “Pull!” and I felt Violet slip from the sudden jerk. “Stop!” I yelled, “Nobody move!” I locked eyes with Violet. “Violet, listen to me. Are you listening? You have to climb over me, I will help you.” Violet was shivering and half nodded, unable to speak. I could feel her grip fading and I shouted at her, “Violet! Now!” She started sobbing but inched her way forward out of the hole and onto my back. Her wet coat and legs soaked my clothes and I could feel the cold creeping in. She continued along the chain until she reached the bank. I looked over my shoulder and saw her sitting by the oak tree with Tommy and Frances. We had to get her warm fast before she lost consciousness. “Get her over the bridge and to the barn! Now!” I yelled at them. “Don’t wait for us! Go!” Steve chimed in, “Move your asses! Now! Go!”

I saw them get up and hurry to the bridge. Willow followed close behind. I saw them go into the barn. There was only Edward, Steve and myself left on the ice. “Ok, slowly back up. Keep your weight spread out.” I called back to them. “Say when you are clear. We have to go help them.” One by one we inched off the ice. “Clear” Edward shouted and ran down the bank, over the bridge and to the barn. 

There was only Steve and myself left on the ice. I looked over my shoulder at Steve and yelled, “Keep moving, they need us, go!” I didn’t tell him that the hole in front of me continued to grow and visible cracks spidered out in every direction. I could hear the roar of the river beneath, like it was calling me. Violet got away and it still demanded a sacrifice. Steve let go of my legs and then shouted “Clear!” That was when the ice gave way beneath me. The water stung and burned against my face. The deafening roar of the river filled my head and I saw nothing but black. I knew they wouldn’t find me until spring thaw. It is amazing how many things pass through your mind in seconds. The beauty of a sunrise, the smell of fresh baked bread in the morning, the smile on Violet’s face when I say hello. Someone grabbed my legs and jerked me out of the water. He grabbed my belt and dragged me to the bank. I could barely breathe as he hauled me up across his shoulders. “You are not going anywhere Willy, Violet would never forgive you. She wouldn’t be able to forgive herself.” I bounced on Steve’s shoulders as he ran me across the bridge and into the barn. They had Violet stripped down and wrapped in horse blankets, Tommy was stoking the fire in an old cast iron potbelly stove. Steve dropped me next to the stove and called out, “Come on , help me strip him down!” I heard other voices questioning what happened. Steve repeated himself and suddenly hands were all over me stripping off my wet clothes. They bundled me up in a couple blankets and propped me up next to Violet. I looked at her and said hello, she smiled back.

June 18, 2021 02:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.