The Trip of a Lifetime

Submitted into Contest #209 in response to: Write a story about someone going on a life-changing journey.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Historical Fiction

" So what you're saying is, that you sold me to a farmer, in Kansas?"Screeched Anna.

"Well not exactly sold you. The farmer needs help and we have the opportunity to help him." replied her frustrated father.

"WE Do you mean your'e going too?"

"Well, not exactly"

"Well, what is it exactly?'

"Well you know we've been having financial problems and I'm going to have to sell the house, and this will be better for you."

"What you mean is you spent all my mother's money, so now I'm on my own!" Anna's face was turning from red to purple.

"You went to finishing school, and we thought you would have found a husband by now. You are twenty five years old. I can't afford to support you anymore." Offered father.

And you've made a deal with some farmer so far away you'll never have to see me again!"

"Now calm down. The farmer is paying for your passage, and you'll have a nice place to live, a chance to make new friends, be married and have a whole new life."

"When is this supposed to happen.?

"The ship leaves the day after tomorrow." Anna left the room without another word, she couldn't let her father see her cry. She climbed the stairs to her room. She wondered what the going rate for daughter's was. Father married her mother for the money, but she didn't know her mother would die and leave her alone with him. It was true most people thought she would never get married. Perhaps she could start over, but marry a stranger and leave in America? What would she pack. Her dresses and shoes weren't designed for milking cows and plowing fields.

She packed her belongings resentfully. She took a few things that reminded her of her mother, and she sneaked into HIS room and took some jewelry her mother had hidden for her. If she decided to run away from the farmer she would have enough money to start over.

Early Thursday morning, her father took her to the docks. She hadn't spoken to him ever since his edict. As the ship came into view Anna's nervousness turned to curiosity and then to excitement.She joined the line of passengers handing over their luggage She climbed aboard the huge ship. Her cabin was tiny but beautiful. She hung up her clothes for the six day journey, then laid down on the bed to mull over the past three days. She was awakened by a steward knocking on the door to tell her dinner in one hour.

She entered the magical dining room. Each table had flowers and candles like her mother used to do for Christmas! She was enthralled. They had sat her at table twelve. The was another single woman named Marcia, An older married couple, the Beesleys, and a young married couple the Parkers and their baby. They were all very hospitable and they all chatted and laughed together. The knot in Anna's stomach loosened. The waiters flirted with the two single women and life on the ship became a routine. She and Marcia met everyday; walked on the deck, sunned on the deck chairs, ate meals together. One night it was quite stormy. everyone seemed to be sick and scared, but Anna and Marcia went to dinner and giggled when the table slid and they had to hold onto their food. They night before they disembarked, they cried together as Marcia was heading to New York and Anna to Kansas.

As she filed off the ship she saw a stranger holding up a sign with her name on it. She followed him to a carriage drawn by horses, and made herself comfortable and he got her luggage. He dropped her off at a nice looking hotel, and told her to be ready at five in the morning.Dinner was ready for her upon arrival. She went upstairs exhausted and took a nice hot bath then fell asleep reading her book.

Still yawning she arrived at the stagecoach station. There were three stages ready to go. One to California, one to Kansas, and one to Ohio. She had this last chance to run away. She had the jewelry to start over, but maybe the farmer was nice, handsome, and had servants. She could live like a princess. Well, she should at least find out.

The stagecoach was another new adventure. It rocked back and forth like the ship but but also bumped on the dirt roads. And the dust was unbelievable, and the flies! Lunch was a picnic by the side

of the road then back on the road. When it was almost dark, they pulled into a station. Something smelled delicious! Anna hurt everywhere, was covered in dust, and could barely get out of the coach she was so stiff. She limped into the station where something smelled delicious. She was shown to her room; the smallest one so far. Then she heard the dinner bell. Dinner was basic but delicious.

Anna talked with other travelers, about their destinations. The driver told her they were leaving at dawn so get up early enough to have breakfast. The bathroom was down the hall, so she just did the basic clean up and went to bed.

She climbed aboard the stage with most of the dust still clinging to her body. Today there was a young man riding with her. He was very handsome and she wondered if maybe she should try to find her own husband instead of one who had purchased her.

Day after day the dust got thicker, the scenery more boring, and the heat was oppressive.

Tonight they would arrive in Abilene. She would be picked up by her farmer and she would begin her new life as a farmer's wife.

WHOA was her clue that they had arrived. She peeked out the window and was amazed. Main Street was dirt, there were no women she could see, and the biggest building was a pub. Everyone rode horses; but she didn't know how to ride.

Out of the background came an old man. He looked about sixty. She shouldn't have come. This was a nightmare.

"Are you Anna?', croaked the old man. She would not choose to marry this man, not in a million years. All she had to do was say No and she would be free of any obligation. She could hear her mother's voice say, "Don't rely on first impressions."

"Yes, I'm Anna."

"You're a pretty one. I'll help you climb up onto the buckboard, then I'll get your luggage. The cook sent you a box lunch, she knew you would be hungry." The cook? She had a cook? She ate her dinner quickly. Her first glimpse of the farm was twinkly lights in the distance. Her stomach started to knot up again. The tiny farm was

way off in the distance. Thousands of cows were in the fields on both sides of the road. They didn't smell very good, but their mooing was quite musical and calming.

"How big is this farm?" Anna ventured.

"About three hundred acres, and we call it a ranch not a farm."

Her farmer was rich. The closer they got the bigger the ranch house became. As they pulled up to the house, a very handsome young man came out to greet them. "Hello, Anna, I'm sorry I couldn't come into town to meet you, but the baby has been sick, and I didn't want to leave her." Did he say baby? "My name is Bill. I"ll introduce you to the rest of the staff tomorrow, you must be exhausted. I'm sure you want to get to bed. We'll be getting married a week from Sunday after church. We've fixed up a guest room for you until then. I hope you'll like it here.

The guest room was beautiful. She even had her own bathroom. She took a nice warm bath, washed her hair, and climbed into bed.

He's rich, has a household staff, a baby, lives in the middle of nowhere surrounded by cows, he's handsome, polite, kind, getting married in a week. This truly is the beginning of a new life. Thank you father, for shoving me out of the nest.

August 02, 2023 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michał Przywara
20:43 Aug 07, 2023

A classic dilemma. "I know what's best for you" is generally a terrible attitude, and Anna's initial reaction is completely understandable - but sometimes, it does prove true. (Although I wonder if it wasn't just coincidence in this case, as the father did seem to squander all the money, and it did seem like he was just liquidating a liability.) What I like is that her change in attitude was gradual, and it was the little excitements that started changing her mind. Things like the ship, like meeting Marcia. I think focusing on these serv...

Reply

Joan Wright
22:23 Aug 07, 2023

Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate your suggestions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.