2 comments

General

One clear summer night, there was a teenage boy laying on the ground looking at the stars above, his favorite pastime. He was content observing the stars and trying to figure out which college he wanted to attend. It was a big decision and he was wanting to make his parents proud. Suddenly his father approached him, asking, "What are you doing?"

Startled, the boy jumped up, but relaxed when he saw it was his dad. He was lost in thought about which college to attend and didn't here his father come up. "I'm just observing the constellations above. Look, up there, it's the big dipper and there's Sirius the dog there. Orion's belt is over there. The North star is right up there. That's the Little Dipper over there," Said the boy pointing at each of the constellations as he said their names. "Dad, I was just wondering about which college I will be applying to in a year's time, once I finish my senior year of high school. I'm glad to be nearly done with high school. You know it is my ambition to be an architect," came the boy's response.

The father smiled and said, "I know. You have always liked building things. I for one am not surprised by your desire to be an architect. I will only advise you to have a couple of colleges in mind as a just in case. Now that you are nearly done with high school, your life will be changing. You are close to completing a life event with your graduation coming right up. This year will really fly by for you."

"You aren't?" The boy asked, amazed. "How come? That's a smart idea there, having a couple of colleges in mind. Thanks for the advice. "

The father replied, "I remember you always liked playing with legos and Lincoln logs when you were little. Plus you always had a knack for designing new buildings and letting your imagination run wild. When you went to camp, you excelled in arts and crafts. It's a part of who you are. I often wondered how long it would take you to decide on being an architect. I was just thinking of suggesting that as a career path for you. I had my father tell me exactly the same thing when I was your age."

"Really? How did you choose which college to attend? Was it a difficult decision?" Asked the boy.

"It was easy. I knew I wanted to be a lawyer. That helped my search for the right college. It narrowed down the search to help me find the right place. I do not expect you to follow in my footsteps. I think being an architect would be the right thing for you do."

"I was always afraid that I would not have any support as an architect. I often wondered how I was going to bring it up. I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the guidance on choosing colleges," said the boy.

"Son, thats what I am here for. When you found some colleges that stand out to you, ask them questions. It will help you get a feel for them. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. When you go to college, it will be an adjustment for you. Just give it time and you will settle. Don't forget you are one of the most important people in the world to me. You are second only to your mother, and your sister. I think you will make a great architect one day. Don't lose sight of what you have. I really think you have talent," said the father in a kind, loving voice. "You will be great. And if you decide to go into a different career path down the road, go for it. People change their minds about their majors all the time."

The boy, feeling relieved, said, "You really think so? Thanks Dad. The building designs always seem to come naturally to me. I don't know how to control it yet, but I want to nurture the talent."

Father and son hugged tightly, when the father said, "I know so. The best thing to do is to nurture your talent. It can make it even better for you. Don't outdo yourself now. There are a lot of colleges out there. Don't worry about college right now. Take everything one step at a time. It will help you get there faster. Just keep doing what you have been doing. Keep studying, working hard and you will be fine. I'm proud of you son. You will never disappoint me. Just do what makes you happy."

"Thanks, Dad. Having your support really means a lot to me. I don't know how to make it up to you."

"You don't have to worry about making it up to me. Knowing that you are happy is enough for me. I am proud to be your father. Noone will ever take that away from you. I love you dad."

A moment later, the son asked, "Would you like to join me in looking up at the stars for a little bit? It really is mind blowing and I feel amazed at seeing so many stars up there, Dad."

"I would love to, for a little while," said the father. "It never ceases to amaze me how extensive the galaxy really is. You know, I used to love observing the stars too. It is really mind blowing isn't it?"

"It is. And just think, a lot of those stars are lightyears away from us. It would take a long time to get back to any of those," said the boy.

His father agreed and said, "Yes, it would. Let's just enjoy the view. It is an incredible sight. I love you son."

"I love you too Dad. Thanks for the advise and everything. It helps to make my decision easier," replied the son.

Soo, the two of them were stretched out on the ground looking at the stars, and naming the constellations to each other.

July 19, 2020 03:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Spirited Wings
21:27 Jul 29, 2020

It's an awe-inspiring story... you have talent in dialogue. I believe that this story is like a carpet: threads interweaving, telling tales that excel human memory. Like the tapestry of Bayeux. Your story shows the need for support, the beauty of strong bonds between father and son. This wisdom isn't like knowledge that can be passed on in history books, but through speaking: communicating through expressions of feelings, emotions, tone of voice. A connection. Your story shows the importance of connecting with others, to express openly, be t...

Reply

03:17 Sep 04, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.