0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Romance

Rubi Isle is part of planet tellus (earth’s twin, 800 years behind, evolving) and was prosperous due to fertile land and systematic cultivation. Fez was the son of a big landlord of RI who was very rich. Though Fez was about 20 he wasn’t married: He was longing for Liril.

RI had a culture group which gave performances of music and dance for entertainment. The ace dancer of the group was Liril, a very beautiful woman of only 16. Fez was Liril’s ardent fan. He had been courting her since long sending her gifts and even costly jewellery. He had paid an artist to make Liril’s portrait and would keep mooning over it.

Minki was the daughter of Fez’s neighbour Havcon. She was quite attractive though slightly wanting when compared to Liril. Minki’s close friend was Violi who was part of RI’s culture group. Violi would tell Minki about the happenings in the group. That day Violi came for a casual chat with Minki.

Violi said “I’ve told you your neighbour Fez is head over heels in love with Liril. He has met her a few times and sends her gifts and even costly jewellery but she doesn’t seem interested in him. As I see it Liril seems to be in love with Jig. He is a solid hunk of manhood tall, broad and handsome. He dances well opposite her.”

Minki said “I understand.”

“But he has a weakness. He is a gambler and expects to win all the time. He expects fortune to favour him all the time.”

Minki said “I’ve heard about it. It is also said he is an excellent charioteer and takes part in every chariot race. There is betting on the winner and Jig usually wins.”

“But what is the use? He is a spendthrift and spends his earnings in no time. They say when he has huge debts, he might even flee elsewhere.”

Minki asked “How does Liril view his ways?”

“She is hopelessly in love with him and overlooks his weaknesses. I’ve some shopping to do. I’ll be in touch later.”

Minki went and met the witch Wizma, an old woman known for her ability to study cosmic asterisms  and guide people to cope with the future.

Minki said “Wizma, you forecast that I would get a good man for husband. I had hoped I would land Fez but he is head over heels in love with Liril.”

“I’ll again cast a spell over you. I’ve no time to talk to you now as the chief minister has summoned me to discuss matters regarding the coronation-memorial day celebrations. Rest assured that my spell will turn the tide in your favour.”

Minki knew that as part of the coronation-memorial day many events would be arranged like boat races, chariot races, fencing rounds and so on. Minki went home in deep thought. She had known Fez since long but had never considered him a match. But now love for him suddenly flared probably due to Wizma’s spells. She wished she had cultivated him so that he wouldn’t hanker after Liril. Her jealousy was now aroused and she wished Liril would vanish. I’m nearly as good as Liril. Only I don’t know dancing. I shouldn’t allow Liril to grab Fez. She seems to favour Jig. I wish she settled with him. In that case I can perhaps get hold of Fez. Nearing her home she saw a disfigured old woman and her jealousy flared into thinking that if someone would inflict a serious injury on the dancer, Fez would abandon his pursuit of her. However she knew it wouldn’t happen.

Meanwhile Jig was planning ahead of the coronation day memorial competitions. He knew he could strike it very rich in a chariot race. He consulted the chariot maker who said “I’ve a design to make a super-speed chariot. It will be practically weightless and there will be minimum rubbing which will give it speed. It will cost money.”

Jig sat in contemplation: I lost to the gamblers and have an acute shortage of money. Who will give  me a loan?Jig went and consulted Wizma. She said “You have nothing to offer as collateral. Just your reputation as a winner in the past.” She thought a bit and said “You must have heard of Havcon. He is a rich man and might just advance you the money in a gamble. Try him.”

Jig decided to try his luck with Havcon. He spoke convincingly to the man and sought the loan. Havcon said “Let me think it over.”

In his mind Havcon was convinced that a loan to Jig would not be returned. He spoke to Minki and she said “Dad, you’ve to take risks in lending money. The fellow needs the money to get a super-speed chariot  built.”

Havcon laughed and said “Minki, suppose the chariot crashes and the fellow dies? It would be very risky.”

The father had expressed his fear about debt being repaid. The daughter was hoping that with success in the race and big money reward, Jig would marry Liril and release Fez so that she herself could get him.

Havcon advanced the money. The chariot was ordered and was ready in time to take part in the coronation memorial day celebrations. A huge crowd had gathered to witness the events. Havcon and Minki were seated in the forefront watching the proceedings. The chariot race was the most eagerly sought event to be watched as the super-chariot had been publicized.

The race was flagged off by the king after the competitors were ready and lined up. Jig’s chariot was in the lead when after moments a wheel got lose and the chariot crashed throwing Jig to the ground. There was commotion as Jig was lifted up. A bone setter examined Jig and said “He seems to have dislocated his shoulder. With my treatment he should be normal again in about 12 weeks.”

Havcon said “Minki, I think I’ve to write off my loan to this fellow.”

Minki said “I’m also shocked. Most unexpected occurrence! You must put enforcers to collect the loan amount.”

“I’ll do it tomorrow.”

The next day however, Havcon said “Minki, Jig has fled to some unknown destination along with Liril.”

Minki said “Good riddance.”

Minki was happy that Liril had disappeared.

Fez who was deeply disappointed sought Wizma’s advice. Wizma said “That Liril was very haughty and you wouldn’t have been happy with her. Now that she has vanished, you could consider taking your neighbour Minki as your bride. She will suit you very well.”

Fez started wooing Minki who accepted.

END

August 02, 2022 04:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.