THE RICH, NEXT DOOR

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

6 comments

General

When he opened his eyes, she was sleeping next to him. Jackson looked at her face. She was drooling and looked like ugly. He thought why did he married her. Once she was pretty and attractive now she is looking ugly and no more attractive. He wake up from the bed. And moved toward his window. He moved his curtain. Opposite to their small building a mansion was there. Evelyn was standing on her balcony, sipping her coffee. She looked so sexy and attractive. He was amazed by her gorgeous look. Then he looked back at her sleeping wife, she was sleeping like a pig. It annoyed him.

                                                                    Suddenly, Evelyn saw him. She waved her hand and smiled at him. He smiled back. On that moment, her boyfriend came and he hugged her from back. And they kissed. It made him jealous he hide that view by closing his window’s curtain.

         They moved to this city last month. Her boyfriend's name is also Jackson. And he is so rich. Last month his family was invited to their house warming party. And Jackson’s father presented a heart touching speech about his son. Mr. George is so proud of his son. He really was disturbed by rich Jackson’s presence. But the main reason was his jealous.

                  After that, he really thought about his life. His mother died when he was a little child. He grew up with his strict father. And his father always criticized him for each and every mistakes. He was a brilliant student when he was in college.  But he is trapped in his middle class life, and he believes that because of his situations he is still living a middle class life. Living with a boring wife. When he dated Scarlet, he didn’t have a thought of getting married to her. All of his friends were dating at that time. So he also dated someone, who was not at all bad looking at that time. But when she got pregnant he asked her to abort that child. Because he want to set up his career first. This decision paved way to their separation. Because she wanted to have her baby. But when his dad heard about this, he was really devastated and asked him to marry her. His father was an orthodox catholic and was against abortion. And he also understood Scarlet's situation to look after a baby as a single parent. So he put a deal in front of his son. He will only give his properties when he marry Scarlet. So he haven’t more options. So he married her. Now their daughter Olivia is 4 year old. But he also haven’t a great relationship with his daughter too. He hated children. But he had a fondness for Olivia even though he never accepted that.

                                    But he really hated his life. He was fed up with doing same things all day. Waking up early morning. Going to office. Work whole day. Coming back from office and watch Netflix and go to sleep. Having sex rarely. Because most of time Scarlet spend time with Olivia. And he haven’t any interest to have sex with her anymore. After seeing Evelyn he was completely into her.

              “Aren’t you going to office today”, Scarlet break silence. She was already awake, and she was folding blanket. He looked at clock. It was 7:20. So he went to get ready. When he was at the door step his wife remembered him that Olivia’s school anniversary so don’t forget to come school after work. He said OK by shaking his head and shut the door close without saying anything.

  After his office time he took car and went to super market to buy some chips and juice items for Olivia. When he came back to parking area Evelyn was there near her costly car. He looked at her amazingly. She was taking out her groceries from her car.

     “Hey….”

 She looked back.

     “Hey... Mr. Jackson”

     “What happened?”

     “Some starting trouble with my car. I have already called a mechanic. So he is on the way. And I was planning to call Uber[WU1] .”

     “Ooh… I see. If you are okay you can come with me. I am on the way to home.”

     “Oh really…… Thank you so much.”

She took her groceries and shifted into his car. At that moment, he felt he was the luckiest person in this world. They travel led together and when he stopped car in front of Evelyn’s house his heart was beating like a high school teenager on his first date. She asked him to come inside. He politely turned over that request. But she compelled him. So he followed her. They talked about many things. And he noticed that she was more beautiful and sexy. She opened a wine bottle and poured red wine. He was enjoying her beauty at that time. Her red lips temped him. When she came near him, and passed wine glass. He touched her fingers and he couldn’t control himself. He grabbed her hips. And their lips were so close. Their lips touched barely but suddenly calling bell rang. Both of them, moved back. When she opened door, her boyfriend was back from job. They hugged. Jackson got consciousness. Somehow he said bye to both of them and came out of that place. He didn’t look back.

    When he entered into house Scarlet was welcoming him with an angry face. Olivia seemed gloomy. They only he was remembered about Olivia’s presence. Because his phone was in the car he didn’t heard when it rang. After a long fight she went to sleep.

  He couldn’t sleep because of that incident. He was thrilled. So he turned on TV. A show was running on the TV named “SECOND CHANCE”. A celebrity was angering that show.

   “If you want to change your life please call to this number and ask your wish….We will there for your need”

When he heard this ad. He felt it like a funny thing. So he took his phone and typed “ I want to live my neighbor’s life.”

After a sometime, he fell in to sleep.

SECOND CHANCE

When he opened his eyes, he couldn’t believe himself. He was in rich Jackson’s house. Lying in his comfy and costly bed, near to Evelyn. He get up terrified. And look around. Evelyn wake up from bed.

 “You wake up early….”

She came near to him and kissed on his cheek. And went outside. He couldn’t believe himself. So he pinched.

Then a servant came inside “sir, your coffee”. And he handed over coffee glass.

Then also he was stunned.

He went to the balcony and looked at his minion house. Other Jackson was looking at him through the window.

Then also he couldn’t believe that his wish came true.

He get ready to go to office. His girlfriend came in and helped him to put on his suit. He was really thrilled and happy. When he was ready to go he kissed her and said good bye.

His driver drove him to office. When he entered in his room Mr. George was there and he was really angry at him. Because their client doesn’t liked his presentation work, and was really at its point to close their trade relation. Only because of George’s intervention they were ready to move on. He was really angry and treated him like substandard.  Jackson couldn’t say a word. He was devastated. Then his office phone ringed his manager was on the other end.

So Mr. George showed some action and asked him to be quiet.

When the manager entered into the room he was a different person. He was like a caring father and acted like nothing happened before. This made him really surprised. He couldn’t believe his eyes.

After work returned to home she he have already decided to give Evelyn a surprise. So he bought a bouquet and went home. He reached there earlier than Evelyn, and prepared to give her surprise. So he hid near the pillar.

Evelyn entered into the room. But she was not alone she was with some other man. And they were kissing. He felt like losing his full power. He understood that she was a gold digger. He ran against that person and hit him. Jackson smashed on his face. Evelyn pulled him away and that man ran away.

He called George that moment. And explained everything. But George sounded like normal. He said Evelyn is her business partner’s daughter and he haven’t no more options but to marry her to build up his business. Without saying anything else he hung up phone.

Jackson went into his bedroom, he busted into tears. And he understood his real life was better. He remembered about his wife and child. And their love, which he was not ready to accept. He understood his mistake and prayed hardly to go back to his real life.

After a long time he slept tired. When he opened his eyes he was on his sofa, in that old minion home. He woke up happily and pinched himself to find out if he was dreaming. But it real. It was his real home.

He ran into his bedroom. His wife was sleeping there, with the drooling mouth. He went near to her and hugged her passionately. Scarlet woke up from sleep. He asked her sorry for everything and cried. She affectionately caress on his forehead and said “it’s okay”.

Suddenly a message popped on his phone. He read that “YOUR SECOND CHANCE IS OVER…..”


 [WU1]

August 14, 2020 17:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Charles Stucker
10:19 Aug 18, 2020

Charming story. You're a student, so take English composition classes- they'll help with the little tricky odds and ends which crop up and cause trouble in writing. One trick you can use is to write from first person, "I went to the store" instead of "He went to the store." Then, as long as the main speaker is from India, any little errors are just a way the character speaks. The moral of the story, you never know how lucky you are, is nicely embedded in the tale and presented without fanfare. That's a good technique. The end is good....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pragya Rathore
05:57 Aug 18, 2020

This story was beautiful! There were a few grammatical errors, but I liked the theme and concept. Great!

Reply

Santhra F
06:38 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks for your reply.. I will try to improve myself.

Reply

Pragya Rathore
08:02 Aug 18, 2020

You're doing great!! Keep writing:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
05:39 Aug 20, 2020

The theme was great. There were few grammatical errors but, it didn't stop me from enjoying your story. Nice story. Great job. Welcome to Reedsy. Would you mind reading my new story "Secrets don't remain buried?"

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Kingston
19:09 Aug 18, 2020

Nice story. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.