1 comment

Friendship High School Teens & Young Adult

"Karma"

As with any high school, those at the top of the social rung have the most influence amongst their peers.  Some strive for more than simple influence.  Some…desire complete control.

A group of three would make up the most popular students at Polaris High School.  Fey would be the athlete.  Track, tennis, basketball--there were very few sports she did not play.  Dom was the brains.  There was no subject that he feared.  Zack, the last member, was known for his style and good looks.  The entire school as well as themselves were quite aware of this.

The trio would meet in their usual spot after school.  Fey's father owned a parking garage that, at the top level, overlooked the city.  "They're so pathetic," Zack said as he scrolled through the loving comments on his post.  He was leaning against the railing while Fey and Dom sat across from one another on the floor.  They had recently become obsessed with a new game.

Each of their phones made a different chime.  Feyla smacked her lips and locked her phone.  "Whatever.  I was close that time," she said, frustrated.

"Closer," Dom corrected.  "What are you talking about?" he asked Zack.

He showed them his phone.  They had taken and posted a picture a few hours ago. "Everyone.  Look at how obsessed they are with us.  Could you imagine?"

"What's up with you?"  Feyla asked.

"Nothing.  Doesn't it just urk you how stupid this popularity crap is?  All I have to do is put on a cool set of clothes, make a few jokes and sure enough, people can't go a day without thinking about me."  He returned his phone back to his pocket.

"Then don't be popular," Fey said with a shrug.

"I don't have a choice," Zack said, now turning to the city view.  "You think I want to be this popular?  If I could be a fly on the wall like the others, I would jump at the chance.  I choose to be because what happens if I don't?  I should just be like the rest?  Another number who just does what other people do?  No thanks," he said, sliding on his sunglasses as the sun began to set.  

Fey simply shook her head and took the spot next to him.  Dom on the other hand, seemed to be in deep thought.  "...Actually…I have to agree."  

They both turned to him in surprise.  "Y--yeah?" Zack asked.

"I do.  Why do you look so surprised?"

"I mean…usually you're the one who tells me I'm wrong about everything."

"Well regarding school subjects, yes, you're usually wrong," Dom said. Fey would get a good laugh.  "Same with you," Dom said, making her stop immediately. "Like I said, I agree.  I suppose for different reasons though. When I was younger, my smarts actually put me in an opposite position than what I'm in now.  They used to bully and pick on me to no end…and now they all beg me whenever there's homework or a test.  It's satisfying to know I'm far more intelligent…but it just never feels worth it.  It seems that all people want…is for someone to use."

"Exactly!" Zack agreed.  "People use me for my popularity all the time and call it friendship.  It'd be nice to be the user for once."

"You two sound like serial killers," Feyla said, now stepping away from the rails.  "I'm going home."

"And what about you?" Zack asked.  "You talk non stop about how men use you for your body.  Or what about all of those precious teammates of yours?  They use you every game to feel better about themselves by getting another win.  They should be bowing to you after every match.  But what do they say instead?  'Good game.'  Is that really enough for you?" 

Fey would eventually sigh and turn back around.  "I…guess you have a point.  Most boys at school think of me as some item they all have to compete for.  When I finally bring my guard down and let them in, no one actually cares. I…also think about what would happen if I suffered any injury that stopped me from playing.  No one…not even my parents would care about me.  All my life I’ve killed myself trying to become someone worth loving…and I am that person now…but only because I had to work for it.  In a way, it is all their fault for turning me into someone so obsessed with self improvement.  You're right…I deserve to be celebrated for all the success I bring them!"  She would then notice her two friends staring at her in disbelief.  "What!?  I can't speak my mind too?"

Zack pushed his sunglasses back up while shaking his head and his other hand.  "Nahnahnah you're good!  Talk yo' shit!"

"It's exhausting…we deserve to use them too," Fey said.

As if blotted by a dense cloud, the sun would vanish.  Zack lowered his shades and curiously examined the sky.  "The hell--?"

In each of their pairs of ears, they would hear the voice of a woman whisper a single word.  None of them would be able to make it out.

Then, a powerful, chilling gust of wind would suddenly sweep over the entire garage.  It was so intense that it pushed all three of them to the ground.  By the time they got back to their feet, the sun was back.  "What the hell was that!?" Fey said, now frantically looking around.

The usually emotionless Dom would wear a rare look of surprise. "That voice…did you all hear it?"

"I did!" Feyla said.

Zack quickly wiped away the speckles of sweat on his forehead to hide his panic.  "You guys are trippin'.  Let's just get outta here."

The next day would be Fey's big tennis game with their rival school.  It was predicted to be a close game, however, Fey had pushed herself to new limits and completely crushed the opposing team almost single handedly. After the game, however, she would receive the usual slap on the back and more than enough "good games" to last a lifetime.  As she watched them all walk away back toward the school, the conversation they had yesterday would come to mind.

None of you deserve me.  Her anger began to climb exponentially. So once we get the win then I'm worthless? That's all you want from me?  Her hand tightly clenched her racket until her veins began to bulge.  Using me to make yourselves feel better…you all…you should…

"YOU SHOULD ALL BE PRAISING ME!" Fey suddenly screamed.  

The room fell silent…and her entire team would halt in their tracks.  As they each turned back around, they would all share the same expression.  An expression…of joy.  Every team member would suddenly begin to cheer as they approached Fey like a group of diehard fans.  Eventually, they even lifted her up and carried her to the locker room.  The entire time, Fey would be appalled.  What…what is happening?

The reaction she received from her teammates bothered her for the entire school day.  Not to mention the strange voice she had heard yesterday.  

As she left school, her eyes scanned the sidewalk next to the pickup area.  "Fey!"

She turned to find Zack running straight toward her.  When he caught up, he tried speaking, but had to catch his breath.  "Hey.  Jeez…you're outta shape."

"Shut up," Zack said.  "Have you noticed anything weird?"  

Fey quickly scanned the area before answering quietly.  "Actually, yeah.  I sorta had a…blow up in front of everyone after the game.  Out loud I said that they should praise me…sure enough--."

"They did it!? Holy--!"  Zack clasped his head with his hands and blurted a slurry of curse words.

"What?" Fey asked.

"We can be the user!" Zack exclaimed in excitement.

Immediately after, Fey gently palmed his face and told him to hush.  "Do not talk about our conversation in the open," Fey whispered.  "Do you want people thinking we're sociopaths?"

Zack moved her hand to reveal a devious smile.  "People are suddenly just doing whatever I tell them.  No matter how crazy.  I jokingly asked mister Krasinski to get me lunch…and he literally left in the middle of class!  Also, I asked Claire out!"

"Claire?  But she thinks you're an idiot--and a bum."

He tilted his shades down to look at her clearly.  "She…she said that?  WHATEVER!  It doesn't matter!" He placed his glasses back before speaking.  "She said yes!  This Saturday!  I've been trying to get at her all year!"

"Gross.  Do you think the same happened to Dom?"

He had noticed since yesterday, but was not sure until he came to school. Ever since middle school, Dom would have an unshakable crush on Yui.  She was the only one to be kind to him back when he was frequently bullied.  For years he wished to have the courage to at least ask her outside of school.

Thanks to Zack and Fey, he increased his confidence through exercise and learning to dress fashionably.  Of course, after finally gaining the confidence, she began dating another.  They had been together for a few months and Dom knew she was no longer happy. Mark, her current boyfriend, was incredibly disrespectful and treated her in ways that infuriated Dom.  Every time he saw him apologize with some flashy gift and watch them make up, it would ruin him.  But no more.  

The thought of simply using his strange ability to date her crossed his mind, but his morals would not allow it.  Instead, he found Mark and told him to break up with her and be sure to inform her it was because he was toxic for her.  He would now find Yui outside waiting for her ride. He could tell by her rosy face she was crying. "Hey, Yui," Dom greeted. 

"Sup," she greeted before sniffling.

"Everything okay?"  He took a seat next to her.

"My useless boyfriend is now my useless ex boyfriend.  After all the shit he put me through…he breaks up with ME?"  She chuckled to herself. "I feel like a joke."

"Trust me, he's the joke," Dom said. 

"Wish I believed that…and what do you want?  Is this the part when you scoop me up while I'm down?  Promise me you'll be better than the last?"  It took only seconds for her to regret her words.  "Dom, I'm so sorry.  I just really hate men right now."

"...Actually…yes."  Dom turned to her with an even more serious expression than usual.  She would look back at him in shock.  "Since we were in elementary school, you are the only person I have ever known to show others the true meaning of kindness.  You are good to others not because you want something in return, but because it's the right thing to do.  I have admired this about you for quite some time and I hope you believe me when I say that I would never take such kindness for granted."  Then, without any wish or intention to force her will as he did Mark, he asked, "While you process your break up…will you consider me?"

She would stare into his eyes in disbelief. At that moment, her mother pulled in to pick her up.  "You ready, Yui?" she asked.

Yui nearly jumped, just noticing her mother had arrived.  "Oh!  Hey!  Um…do you think maybe I can walk home?" She asked as her eyes would sporadically go between her mother and Dom.  

Yui's mom knew very well who Dom was.  With a nod and a smile, she drove off.

Her eyes would happily return to Dom.  "You wanna walk me home?"

For five days, they would enjoy their newfound ability.  Dom would be the exception. He hated the feeling of that day and how he used his ability to date Yui.  Sending Mark off would be the last time he would use it.  

Fey would have the entire school groveling at her feet.  She would literally have her team kiss her shoes after every game that they won and would have them frequently give her pre and post game massages.  

Zack would not hold back from the beginning.  He would have countless other students run errands for him, take money from others, would have teachers pass him in classes and even had Claire publicly humiliate herself on social media when their date went horribly wrong due to Zack's poor manners.  

They would meet at the parking garage again, each happy about their new lives.  Together, they sat in a circle.  

Zack laughed as he replayed Claire's humiliation.  "Hilarious," he said to himself.

"A bit much don't you think?"  Dom asked.

"Who cares?  How's Yui?" he asked.

Dom smirked.  "She's good."

Zack punched his shoulder while laughing.  "My man!"

Fey laughed as well.  "You deserve it.  Everyone she dates is a complete ass.  And good job for actually asking her out instead of making her," Fey said just before slugging Zack's shoulder

"OW! Daamn!"

Once again, the sky darkened. They would all jump to their feet.  "Is it happening again?"  Zack asked.

Just like before, a voice would whisper in their ears.  Before, they could not make out the words. Now, however…

"...Karma…"

A gust of wind nearly knocked them over…and the sun would return.  

"THATS IT!" Fey said as she walked toward the exit.  "I'm done hanging around here!  Let's go--wha!"  A small hole would give away and collapse under Fey's foot.  It locked her heel in place as she fell forward, snapping her ankle. She screamed in pain while her friends ran to her side.  "FEY!" Dom cried.  When he observed her destroyed ankle, he shuddered.  "This isn't good…we should call someone."  He looked over to Zack who was about to call an ambulance, but was now glued to his phone.  "Zack!"

"Claire…she got into my cloud…she's posting everything. "  

Dom had never seen Zack in a state of shock as he did now.  "What did she post?"

"Messages, videos nudes…everything…" The very same people he called pathetic would describe him as just that.  

Dom reached for his phone and quickly called for an ambulance.

Zack was so upset that he would not follow them on the way to the emergency room. While Dom waited for Fey in the waiting room, he would receive a call.  "Hey, Yui--whoawhoa what's wrong? You…you said you're moving?"

With their lives now "ruined,'' the trio would have much time to think about just who it was to blame for their problems.  Perhaps if Fey vocalized her feelings, her team would have given her the recognition she felt she deserved.  Maybe if Dom had the courage to ask her sooner, he and Yui would have been together long ago.  Now feeling even more "pathetic" than the students Zack ridiculed, he wondered if he too was just like them.

All three would be left with an unshakable feeling of their experience. A feeling…as if they were used to make some sort of point.  Not by a person…but by a force of nature.

September 30, 2022 17:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Graham Kinross
21:37 Oct 03, 2022

I like the playground politics, like it matters who broke up with who. The relationship ends either way but people get caught up with their pride about who ended it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.