0 comments

General

They were twins but you wouldn't have guessed. One glance at them and you would think they were strangers to each other. Sure they dressed the same, had the same taste of music and had similar hobbies but their relationship was the very opposite.


The older brother, Mike hated everyone and everything. Even his younger brother. He felt nothing towards him except hatred and spite. His fist clenched, his blood boiled just thinking about him. Mike did not care if he hurt people's feelings. He locked himself in his room most of the time, isolating himself. Straining his relationships especial his and Lucas.


However the younger brother, Lucas was completely the opposite. He looked up to his brother and cared for him. Even though he was younger, he still tried to help him with his A levels math or his A level physics homework (but Mike was not having it). Lucas did not care though. Even if he did not understand it. Even if his brother did not want his help, he still did. He only felt love and compassion towards mike but yet him and mike differed greatly from each other still.


However, it is weird how relationships and feelings can change over time. Some feelings may never change but some do. Love and compassion may change to hatred and spite. Hatred and spite may change to caring and sympathetic feelings. No one can predict what will change and neither could the brothers. Ever.


Mike now tries to understand why he had so much hatred for Lucas but it was not because he had done anything to him in. In fact, he had only ever been kind and compassionate towards him. It was his stressed-out brain. From when he isolated himself from everyone that was trying to help him. It was covered with a cloud of thick fog, his brain thought everyone was against him. Now, Mike realizes that he really does care for Lucas and that not everyone is against him. Mike would do anything for him. Even though he's not perfect and does bad things sometimes he will still stand by him until death do them apart.


Lucas looks back at when he was little wondering how he could have had feelings of sympathy or love towards such a disgusting person like Mike. He hates him with every fibre of his body. His blood boils just thinking about him but yet he has done nothing wrong or could he be resenting the past. We will never know. 

Perhaps Lucas mind is covered in the same fog as mikes mind once was. I mean you would go crazy if you were trapped in a small cold box 24/7. Anyone would, no matter what your past was like.


Their relationship will never be stable. one will always hate the other and one will always love the other. Emotions and feelings are difficult so there no surprises that they are distanced from each other. 


Just like strangers

However, there may be hope. Finally, the brothers are trying to reconnect with the help of their step-sister, Rachel. She is kind and caring something both the boys need to have in their lives. She tries to understand them both and come up with reasons and resolutions for each of them. Sometimes it is draining for Rachel but she knows it will be worth it in the end. Yes, she has a slight disadvantage of being younger and not knowing them their whole lives but that does not matter to her. She will try he best to pick up the shattered piece of their hearts and slowly but surely fix them to form an unbreakable bond between the three of them. The late-night calls and early mornings will all be worth it. That's why she does it because for her family is the very, very important and she would do anything for the people she loves.

It has been a few years since Rachel came into both of their lives and they would not change it for absolutely anything. The hatred and spite they both felt towards each other once have now disappeared and all they feel for each other is love and kindness. There is no more late nights or early mornings for Rachel. No more shattered pieces of hearts to pick up and carefully repair. Just a big loving and caring family.

The brothers still wear the same clothes, listen to the same music and they still have similar hobbies. However now you would think they were brothers, the smiles they share. The strong loving hugs they give one another. Nothing could break this bond. Ever.

The same goes for Rachel. She loves seeing the strong unbreakable bond the twins now have. She did not think it was possible but now she is ecstatic that the brothers are getting along. Family gatherings are totally different now then compared to before. The awkward silence is no more. Happy laughter fills the air all around them. Conversations flow like wine at a hen party. No more hateful comments are exchanged from brother to brother and no more staring competitions.

Lucas now realises that he was just resenting the past but then realised, with the help of Rachel, that resenting would not solve anything. Mike was extremely happy when Lucas told him he wanted to repair the broken relationship. It took dedicating and time but now they are inseparable. Shopping? They go together. Sport? They do it together. Listing to music? They share headphones.

They thank Rachel every day they see here. She is happy that they are a true family now. A strong unbreakable bond between the three of them. Let's just hope that does not change because soon they will have to help raise Becky, their new step sister. The bond will soon be four kind and caring people supporting each other and no of them would change a thing.

Finally, they are no longer "strangers" but now truly a big, kind and caring family.

September 28, 2019 12:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.