0 comments

Fiction Horror Mystery

Are evil spirits real? Oh no no, not like that, on second thought it is like that. Evil possession? Does it exist? Do not get me wrong, I am a Christian and quite religious, but the events of that day stuck in her mind like it were yesterday. Her roommate Bev had not spent the night in their hostel room on that particular night. She'd always been afraid to spend the night on her own but this was a different type of scary. Little did she know what the night had in store for her or what awaited her on that particular night.

At first she had totally brushed off the feeling concluding that it was absurd and that nothing serious or wrong could happen in literally one night. But wait, was she right to do that? Should she have taken action? Invited someone over for a sleepover? Spent the night elsewhere maybe?

The night started okay, she went to bed not so late, started falling asleep but later woke up having this awkward yet really bad and frightening feeling. She went back to sleep but ended up waking up again, this second time to her roommate's voice. How could that be possible? She wasn't in tonight.

How did she get in? They literally lived on the third floor! No one could even climb through a window that high. Things were not adding up. She remembered shutting the door and the widows from inside before falling asleep. There is no way she could go back to sleep now. Curiosity mixed in more or less equal proportions of fear gradually took over.

The bed they slept on was a double-decker bed so she slowly climbed down from the top bed since she usually slept on the top decker. It was pitch black, the mosquito net, dangling from the ceiling, had covered the whole bed so she could barely see. She could barely perceive anything but swore she saw something, or maybe just a shadow. But what had she heard? The voice calling her? Her roommate's voice? It was definitely her roommate's voice. She could not have gotten it wrong. It was so scary but she was also determined to find out what was a miss. She wanted to know what was really going on.

"Bev!" "Bev!" She called out to her 'roommate'

"Yes?"

At this point she could hear her own heart beat and chills running down her spine. Her forehead was suddenly filled with dints of sweat. She had to stay composed.

'Jesus Christ of Nazareth, am I dreaming?' bounced back and fourth through her mind like the DVD logo hitting left and right on a blank TV screen.

She kept calm and started talking to her 'roommate' normally. She then slowly walked to the switch and turned on the lights. The door was perfectly intact from the previous night when she had locked it before retiring to bed. Since the switch was right just next to the door, she could see this clearly. So how...? She did not want to think about it. Her knees weakened and wobbled and her voice disappeared.

She took alot of time to turn around from the switch, gathering all her strength, or at least what was left of it.

"Let's talk" was heard from behind before she could fully turn to the opposite direction. She had been standing at the switch for close to five minutes straight, head as blank as an idiot's mind. What should she do? Was that really her roommate? Did she know her?

The sight she turned to was the most horrifying and regrettable ever! Something was certainly off. Her 'roommate' looked "different". Her eyes were somewhat dark and seemed lifeless, her size was different as well, she looked way bigger than her normal size.

What on God's name was happening? Was she dreaming? Drunk maybe? But she didn't drink so was it passive smoking? No way that's impossible.

The strangest thing was that her "roommate" just sat there, not moving, not even blinking, just staring at her,in an ominous way apart from the talking of course. Was she conversing with a ghost? Was she seeng her things? Is this how hallucination felt like? Or perhaps was her roommate possessed? But how did she get in? Was this entirely on her? Could she have sleep walked and opened the door for Bev?

She began praying silently, then louder and louder when 'Bev' attacked her. Only God could rescue her at that time, not even her own self could save her. 'Bev' was animal type at that time, aggressive to the extent of biting her! Her teeth felt like a cat's! She prayed even louder till her roommate fell face down on the floor.

The first impulse was to run. She quickly opened the door and ran outside. It was so dark since the security lights have not been functioning for some days now. Where would she get help? She remembered where her roommate was to spend the night but on arrival the door was locked. Wait, from outside? At this time? Where could she have gone so late? Who was she with? She quickly ran for the security guard who escorted her back to her room. She stood outside shaking like a leaf with her hands covering her mouth.

"I see no one inside the room" The guard said.

This raised more doubt lmk worry that satisfaction. Where did she go? We had not met on the staircase and the hostel gate was locked! No one could get through. Was the security guard lying? Was he in this too? Where was her real roommate? All these thoughts made her light headed and she immediately ended up collapsing.

She woke up the next morning in her room with the door closed from inside and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Was it all a dream or do evil spirits actually exist? Does possession by these evil spirits exist?

She heard a sharp knock on the door and all the thoughts from the previous night came flooding in her mind.

July 21, 2021 22:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.