A Ripple in Time

Submitted into Contest #168 in response to: Start your story with someone looking out a train window.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Contemporary Mystery

Corey awoke to a bump as his train came to a stop, and his coach car settled against the cars on either end and glanced outside the cabin window. The sun was cresting, and the early morning frost still covered the ground. Wooden rail carts with steel wheels laden with steamer trunks sat on the platform, and domed lamps with opaque glass chimneys hung from the ceiling of a white clapboard station. “Shasta Springs station, Shasta Springs station,” the conductor announced, “Three hour water stop, the local time is Seven-fifteen and the temperature is thirty three degrees.”

Arching his brow, he stood and leaned towards the glass, ‘watering stop?’ he shook his head and turned towards the cabin door. He stopped and glanced around, confused. The cabin looked much different. He reached out and ran fingers over the brass door handles and polished stained-wood doors, shaking his head… ‘What’s going on?’ He opened the closet and stood stunned, looking into the mirror inside the door, “These aren’t my pajamas, and I don’t remember owning or even putting them on.” He ran his hands down the sleeve, feeling the quality and texture. He looked inside the closet and noticed a red robe hanging next to his garment bag.

He pulled the robe off the hook. It was thick, with a lambs wool collar and an embroidered Southern Pacific Railway over the left breast pocket. He pinched his arm, “Ow! … OK… I’m awake.” He shook his head, thinking, “There has to be an explanation…..” He put the robe on and started to walk out when his foot hit a pair of slippers on the floor. He slipped them on, “Wow, these feel great! The railroad thinks of everything.....”

The door opened into the corridor. More finished wood ran the length of the passage area, and brass labeled plates, with arrows indicating the car number and the cars fore and aft. Corey noticed a conductor rounding the corner and walked towards him, “Sir, maybe you can tell me what’s going on?”

The conductor smiled, “Just a routine water stop, Sir, to replenish the water reservoir of the Daylight and fill the oil tank. You’re more than welcome to enjoy the stations amenities, but I’d change clothes if I were you…. It’s a bit chilly out there.”

“No, no um I mean what’s going on here, what day is this and where am I.”

He smiled, “This is Shasta Springs Mr. Thomas. We stop here for passengers going up to Portland and back again on the way to San Francisco.”

“No, I mean, how did I get here?”

“You’ve been on board since we left ‘Cisco…. are you OK, Mr. Thomas?”

“I don’t remember any of this; I’m headed for Boston, and I have a business meeting there in two days. And why are you calling me Mr. Thomas? My names Hendricks, Corey Hendricks.”

“Well, you registered as Mr. Thomas when you boarded, just like every other time you traveled with us, and The Southern Pacific line doesn’t go to Boston. Are you sure your feeling alright? Did you have difficulty sleeping?”

Corey shook his head, “Yes, I feel fine… what do you mean every other time I traveled with you? I’ve never been on this train!”

“I’m am sorry, Sir, but…. you make this trip every week. Your a regular passenger on the Daylight. You once told me your business in Cisco was important, but you said you would never live there. You even showed me a picture of your wife and children in your billfold. Pardon my saying so, but they seem like a really nice family.”

“Family! I’m telling you, you have me confused with someone else, I’m not married, and I’ve never met you!”

“I think your just pulling my leg.... I’m Rutherford, Sir; I’ve -been your conductor on this line for ten years, and I’m pretty sure that ring on your finger means that your married.” He laughed, “That picture of the kids in your bilfold you showed me sure look a lot like you.”

Corey sighed; “I need to find my cell, and I have to call my secretary.”

Rutherford looked at him perplexed, “I’m sorry, sir, I don’t know what a cell is, but if you’ll describe it, I’d be happy to help you look for it.”

“It’s a phone, a mobile phone.”

Rutherford laughed, “You’ve been reading too many Dick Tracy comics. I don’t know what a mobile phone is. But there’s a phone at the station, and you can even call long-distance for 35 cents.”

Corey shook his head; “This has got to be some kind of dream, right? Last night I boarded the Amtrak from Williamsburg, and when I wake up, you tell me I’m in Oregon? This just doesn’t make any sense. What day is this?”

Rutherford started to laugh but held it in, still unsure if Mr. Thomas was pulling one of his usual well-contrived jokes on him. “Mr. Thomas, are you aright? Perhaps I might summon the Railroad physician?”

“I’m fine, I just don’t understand what’s going on! Why wont you tell me what day it is and why I’m in Oregon?”

“I apologize Sir. I didn’t realize you were serious and thought you were pulling my leg. No, we’re not in Oregon. We won’t arrive there until the usual time of five-thirty-three this evening. We’re still in California, and it’s now Seven twenty-three Railroad time. Today is still February 17th, and it’s Nineteen Hundred Thirty-Six, just like yesterday when you came on board.”

“Nineteen thirty-Six!” Corey shook his head, confused. “That’s not possible. I boarded the train in Virginia last night, February sixteenth, two-thousand twenty-two, and I booked passage on Amtrak nonstop to Boston, Mass. I have to be in Boston to make a meeting in the morning.”

“Boston? Mr. Thomas, I don’t recollect any Amtrak line, and the only train that runs coast to coast from ‘Cisco is the Transcontinental line, but that would take better than a week to make it to Bostaon. You might could have booked a flight this morning, but the plane from San Francisco, would take twelve hours and doesn’t leave Cisco until around four in the evening.”

“Twelve Hours? No, you’re wrong, I’ve flown from California to Baltimore and the jet took less than six-hours with a layover in Chicago.”

Rutherford smiled, “You mean like a Jet Aireo-plane? Boy Mr. Thomas, you really had me going. That must have been some dream you were having last night. You need to eat something. Why don’t you change clothes and head to the dining car. It’s the car ahead of this one. Cookie will make your breakfast and maybe you will feel better.”

Corey, though still not sure what was going on, nodded. “Maybe you’re right, um… thanks.... Rutherford.” He stepped into his cabin and closed the door. ‘Hot water, maybe that will help,’ He walked into the lavatory and turned on the water, then opened his shaving kit. “What’s this?” he remarked and pulled out a straight razor. “This isn’t mine…. I don’t even know how to use one of these….” A knock came on the door. “What now?” he sighed and set the razor down. When he opened the door, a man was standing in front of him in a white tunic, holding a towel over his arm, with a chair on wheels.

“Good morning, Sir. You scheduled a gentleman’s Gentleman, I’m Charles, I’m here to get your morning started.”

“A gentleman’s?….um, OK…. yes, please come in.”

Charles rolled the chair in and walked into the lavatory, “I see you have your razor out, but if ‘in you don’t mind, Sir, I’m more comfortable with the way mine feels in my hand. I’d Just as soon not nick you.” he smiled, “Now if you’ll be so kind as to have a seat.”

Corey nodded and sat on the chair, “Then, by all means….”

Charles pulled a long stainless-steel box from under the stool and opened it to reveal steaming hot towels. He took one out, and placed it over Corey’s face, then set the box on the vanity. Afterward, he took the shaving cream mortar from underneath and began stirring it into a full lather. “So, are you enjoying the trip this time, sir?”

“Yes…um I guess so. Are you my usual barber?”

“Lord, no sir, Rufus took ill and couldn’t make the trip. I hope you’ll be please with me.”

“I’m sure you’ll be fine….”

Charles removed the hot towel and covered Corey’s chest and shoulders with the dry one he had brought in. Then, he began to spread the shaving cream over his face and neck. “Now then, let’s get you all shaved and cleaned up so’s you can get to breakfast.” He pulled his razor from the top pocket of his tunic and began running the blade up and down the razor strap hanging from the chair. “Recon, it ought a be sharp enough for a shave now.”

Soon, Charles had him shaved and dressed. Corey rubbed his face, “Wow, that’s the best shave I’ve ever had.”

“Thank you very much, Sir; I do try….”

Corey looked into the mirror and just stared; Charles dressed him in a blue pinstriped suit with a pressed white cotton shirt and tie. His hair was combed back, with hair tonic Charles had brought with him. “You know Charles, I’ve never had a man dress and shave me before. It was a relief when you showed up. I’m sure I would have butchered my face with that straight razor, and I would have never thought to wear my hair this way. This suit looks great; How did the railroad know my size?”

Charles laughed and shook his head, “Rutherford said you was a prankster. I pulled that out of your garment bag. It looked like a beautiful suit, and I thought it might fit the gorgeous day outside. I apologize. I should have asked, would you prefer the black one?”

“With everything that’s happened since I woke up, I’m not sure that is my bag, but the suit fits so….”

Charles smiled, “Now, Mr. Thomas, whose bag would you suppose it were…. it has your name on the tag.”

“Yes, well, Rutherford thought the same, but nothing today makes any sense to me. He told me I was married and had kids. He even said I had a business in San Francisco.”

Charles shook his head, “Recon, a man should ought know if ‘in he was married or not.”

Corey nodded, “I would know if I had kids or not. I think someone is playing an elaborate joke on me, and with all this detail, it had to cost them a fortune.” he paused and looked at Charles, “OK,?” seriously…. Is this all some kind of setup? What’s really going on?”

“I’m sorry, Sir, I don’t understand. Is what a setup?”

“All this, the old steam train, the old fashion station, these clothes. Someone has gone to great effort to pull one over on me. I mean, it’s all really great and all, but you can tell me.”

He laughed, “If’n it is, nobody let me in on it. I just come to work, and they handed me your cabin number, and here I am.” Charles stepped back, “Well Mr, Thomas, you look ready to set the day off. Those white toed wingtips really set off the pinstripes in your suit. Let me get your bowler and walking stick, and you can head on up to the dining car. I’m sure Mr. Cookie can set you up with a nice breakfast.” he handed him his hat and cane.

“I’m not one for breakfast, but I could use some coffee.” He glanced at the hat and shrugged, placing it on his head. Glancing in the mirror, he smiled…. “Like dapper Dan….”

“I’m sorry, Sir, I didn’t catch that?”

“Nothing, thanks, Charles, thanks very much. This looks great.”

“Wait just a minute, Sir, you bout run off and left your watch lying on the dresser.” Charles picked the watch up and looked back at Corey, “Do you mind, Sir?”

He glanced at the watch, “That’s not mine either, but go ahead, I guess.”

Charles opened the watch and smiled, “That’s a right nice family you have, Mr. Thomas. You must be really proud.”

“I told you…. I’m not married!”

Charles chuckled, “Well, the man in this picture sure does have a strong likeness to you.” He tucked the watch into Corey’s vest pocket and hooked the chain on the third vest button. “You’re ready, Sir. The station master will put this on your bill. “Have a nice day now.” He smiled and closed the cabin door behind him.

Corey smiled and shook his head, “If this were real, I could really get used to this.” He pulled the watch from his vest pocket and opened it. The time was eight forty-three. He had never been this late getting up and ready, and he really needed that coffee now. He glanced at the picture on the watch cover and sat back on the bed. The picture was of a family of four, with him, an attractive woman, and two children that resembled him. He stared at the picture, shaking his head. “This can’t be…. I need to get some coffee.”

Corey walked into the dining car. It was bustling with other travelers. He glanced around in awe. The tables were covered in white linen cloths with folded napkins and silverware. It looked like something out of an Agatha Christy Novel. “Good Morning Mr. Thomas,” a portly man in a white uniform addressed him. “

Cookie, right?” He hoped at least he got that one.

“Now you know I am,” Cookie grinned. He turned and called to another man in a waiter’s outfit. “Stanley, show Mr. Thomas to his table.” then he looked back at Corey, “The usual, sir?”

“Um….yes, I guess so. What is my usual?”

“Mr. Thomas, I’ve been fixin’ your steak and eggs, with Juice and coffee every Saturday for a good long while now. You just have a seat, and Stanley will bring your coffee and newspaper. I’ll have your breakfast straight away.”

“That…..sounds great. I guess,” and Stanley showed him to his table. He didn’t understand anything happening to him. its as if he had walked into a new life. Everyone knew him, but they were all strangers to him. He put his hat on the seat next to him, leaned his cane against the wall of the car, then picked up the linen napkin and placed it in his lap. he glanced around the car. It felt like he had stepped back in time to a different life, but maybe…. a better life. He pulled the watch out of his pocket and opened it. Corey smiled, staring at the picture inside. “I have a wife now….. and kids.” he shook his head, “This is going to be a very different day… like some kind of ripple in time.....”

October 18, 2022 11:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.