0 comments

Speculative Inspirational

“Just another day at the office,” she said as she planted her feet on the floor. I stood in the doorway. “Nevertheless, go and have a healthy breakfast, you’ve got time.” She stretched and yawned.

“Why am I so tired?”

“You didn’t sleep as well as you could have last night. It probably didn’t help that you were still looking at your phone at 11:30 pm.” I don’t think she heard the last part of my comment as she headed into the bathroom for her shower.

“You look lovely, very fresh,” I said but she was looking in the mirror at her face and investigating the start of a pimple. “Try not to worry about it. I promise you you look great and you are loved just as you are.”

While she ate breakfast. I took a walk around the house and garden. It was a gorgeous day, another day to be grateful for life. Some of our neighbors were already out and about. I nodded at my friend across the street. He looked busy, so I left him alone to prepare for the day. After my full swoop of our part of the neighborhood I headed back in. She was fortunate to have a home office. I didn’t mind where she worked, but I was grateful in a sense that she didn’t have morning traffic to contend with. Or afternoon traffic for that matter.

Minty, the dog greeted me in the hallway, sometimes he’s happy to see me and other times he just ignores me. “Why are you barking Minty?” she asked, I patted him and he calmed down. “It’s just me.” I said but she wasn’t paying attention anymore. She was reading the morning news. “Ugh,” she said, “What is the world coming to? Honestly, will this ever end?”

“It will end. In time there will be peace.” I assured her. I hope my words were of some comfort. I understood her despair, I wasn’t thrilled about the state of the world either but I wanted to impress on her that ultimately things will all work out.

“Why don’t you put some music on? That always soothes you. What about Van Morrison, you love listening to him during the morning.”

Bright Side of the Road was playing on the Bluetooth speaker and she was singing along while she stacked the dishwasher. I smiled, delighted that her mood had improved. I knew her so very well, and I always felt a personal thrill when she followed my guidance. I noticed a little wet patch on the floor, “Let me help you with that,” I said. She managed to side-step the danger and carried on with her task unfazed. The plates rattled in the dishwasher and one wineglass was precariously close to getting broken - I gave it a little nudge, a cut from a broken wine glass would not be helpful right now.

“It’s time for work.” she said and I agreed with her as she stepped into the office we share. It has all the comforts of a home-based office. A warm and inviting room has a large desk with everything she needs. Photographs of her parents and artwork adorned the room. Many other accoutrements I personally didn’t need but she enjoyed. She sat down for work and settled in. I in turn, set to work, which involved communicating with my colleagues in our local zone and checking in with our boss. As much as I love talking with my co-workers, catching up with my boss is always the highlight of my day. Michael is far and away the best boss anyone could ask for. He is patient and always trusts me in my role. He never allows me to become discouraged even under the most trying of circumstances. He really is a super star, the G.O.A.T of all of us who work in our profession.

I turned to look at her. “Looks like you've made progress,” I said. She stretched with a satisfied look on her face and turned to where I stood. “Time for a walk,” she said and I agreed that it was a good idea. She ran up to her room to get changed into active wear. Then grabbing the dog’s lead she called for the dog, “Minty, walk?”

“How about the beach?” I suggested and we headed off.

Two doors down our neighbor was putting out his rubbish and said “Good Morning.” She wasn’t paying attention and he looked annoyed. I gave her a nudge and she looked over at him. “Good morning, Simon,” she said, smiling politely. I knew she didn’t like him very much, but she had been taught to be kind from an early age. I was grateful, Simon was essentially a good man, but he had a tendency to be nosy and that made him unlikable. To make matters worse, she’s very private and finds it hard to let new people in. I have tried to help her over the years and have had occasional successes to get her to open up. However, I do realize that this trait is embedded in her introverted personality. As much as I try to encourage her to grow, I never meddle with her essential self.

The house we live in is only ten minutes from the beach. I did a quick sweep to check to see what was going on. I had heard it was quiet today, indeed, there were only a few others out on the beach. Minty enjoyed catching up with some of the local dogs. I personally took great pleasure from observing the ocean. There was something about its all encompassing enormity as it stretches out towards the horizon that never fails to remind me of my life’s work. I know she still loves the ocean too, but nowadays it’s only from a distance. The days of swimming and surfing were over since she’d had a near miss with a drowning incident five years ago. She had been out surfing with her friends and of course I was also there. Usually she knew how to handle the water but on this day she floated into a rip and was separated from her board. She was dangerously close to drowning and calling out for help. In the meantime, I was desperately doing all I could to get her to safety. It was a close call like none other.

“I know what you’re thinking,” I paused and said ‘and I understand, but one of these days, it would be good if you could just make a start. Put your feet in, let them get wet. Realize that it won’t hurt you. I’m with you. I’ll look after you.” She was deep in thought, I hoped that she was giving my words due reflection. I didn’t expect her to act on it today, but I did hope in time that she would make a full recovery and return the pastime she once loved.

“Time to head back,” she said and we headed off.

“What else do you need to do today, apart from work?” I asked

“Gosh, I’d better phone Mom and Dad.”

“Always a good idea, they’re getting on and you never know when it’s their time to go. I wouldn’t like you to have regrets about not reaching out regularly. Checking in. They were wonderful parents to you, still are, and you owe them a great deal.”

“I’ll do it after lunch,” she said and I was satisfied by that. I knew something she didn’t, her Mom wasn’t doing as well as she thought but it wasn’t my place to tell her.

We sat at the table for lunch and said a prayer of gratitude for the food. Sometimes she did it out of habit and sometimes she was more earnest in her attitude. I didn’t judge her, I very well know the weaknesses of the human spirit. Reminding her to pray and trust was the hardest part of my day. It was harder even than the day I saved her from drowning. Speaking reminders of God’s love into her soul and prompting her to respond, well that very much depends on her free will. The gift of free will was the most profound and challenging thing that I had to work with but it was a privilege. I especially love it when she chooses to pray right after she wakes up. My personal favorite prayer, the one she had said this morning before she planted her feet on the floor, was one of the many she had been taught as a child.

Angel of God

My Guardian Dear

To Whom God’s love entrusts me here

Ever this Day

Be at My Side

To Light and Guard

To Rule and Guide.

I have never failed to be moved by it.

April 27, 2023 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.