1 comment

Mystery Suspense Thriller

In the quiet midst of Natalie's world, a soft veil of loneliness surrounded her like a cloak. Her life, once a tapestry woven with the laughter and love of her parents, had unraveled into a shadowy abyss. Her mother and father, those beacons of light that had illuminated her path, were gone, leaving behind an emptiness that gnawed at her very core.

The days grew long, each moment stretching into eternity as she grappled with the overwhelming sense of loss. It was as though the world had conspired to steal her happiness, leaving her with only fading memories and a heart weighed down by sorrow.

But in the midst of her grief, there existed a glimmer of hope—a distant connection to her great uncle. He had always been an elusive figure in her life, appearing sporadically, like a wisp of kindness in the wind. His fleeting presence left lasting imprints on her heart, a promise that kindness still existed in a world filled with pain.

When word came of his death, Natalie found herself in a contemplative mood. She felt a sense of nostalgia, recalling the fleeting moments of connection with her uncle. His passing created a unique void, an absence she couldn't quite explain. Thus, she decided to attend his funeral.

As she stood amidst the mourners, the warm sun casting a gentle glow upon the gathered faces, Natalie was taken aback by the realization that her uncle had touched the lives of many. He had an extensive network of friends, a community that came together to celebrate his memory. Their heartfelt stories and laughter merged with her tears, painting a picture of her uncle she hadn't fully grasped.

The funeral proved emotionally exhausting, and Natalie returned home, seeking relief in the familiar comfort of her cozy little apartment. She longed for a nap to ease her weary mind and lay down on the familiar couch that had witnessed countless moments of solace and reflection.

Natalie is awakened from her nap by a man saying, “Are you hungry?”. She is scared because she does not recognize this person and had fallen asleep somewhere else entirely. Her heart pounded in her chest as fear gripped her. She had fallen asleep on her couch in her cozy little apartment, but this place was nothing like that. She couldn't remember how she had ended up here. The room was full of moving boxes and misplaced furniture. Her eyes darted around, searching for an escape route.

With a jolt, Natalie springs from the couch and darts toward the door. Weakness sets in after just steps, her legs swaying beneath her like limp noodles. The stranger’s voice booms through the room - “Natalie, honey please lay back down. You promised me you were going to rest.” His heart sinks as panic flashes across her eyes. "Who are you and why did you bring me here?" He takes a deep breath and answers her question - “It’s me, Andrew! Your husband!?! We just moved to Rosehill remember? Are you okay?” Fear strikes his heart – she doesn't recall his name or their new home. She shakes her head emphatically, denying the reality of his words - “No I have no husband and I have never been married!” His muscles tense as he struggles to stay composed. Andrew reaches for her, desperate to help. His arm encircles her waist, and he guides her gently but firmly back to the couch. He searches for the right thing to say but says nothing instead as he wraps her in his arms and watches helplessly as she descends into darkness.

He dials 911. Natalie briefly wakes up in the ambulance. All around her, she can hear the sounds of paramedics talking and evaluating her health. Hours later, when she regains consciousness again, Andrew is slumbering in a chair next to her hospital bed. She attempts to get up and leave but finds herself too weak. Just as she manages to reach the hallway, the nurse enters to check on her. “Let me help you back to bed, Mrs. White," the nurse says. White? That's not my last name, Natalie thinks to herself. "I don't belong here! I must go home," Natalie tells the nurse. Andrew quickly wakes up and speaks out: “Natalie, allow us to help you, please. If the doctor gives the okay, we can go home." Natalie starts to realize there is no way out of this situation and decides to go along with them until she finds an escape route.

The doctor enters the room to speak with Andrew and Natalie. “Natalie,” he says, “I believe your disorientation was caused by dehydration and exhaustion. We need to keep you in the hospital overnight for observation, but you can go home tomorrow.” After her discharge from the hospital the next day, the doctor ordered her to rest for a few days.

After arriving “home,” the neighbors John and his wife Lily come over to introduce themselves and bring over dinner. After chatting for a while they offered to help unpack and clean the house. Lily and Natalie talk. “I got worried when I saw you taken away by ambulance. I am glad you are feeling better. I am here to help you with whatever you need.” Natalie hopes that she will be able to trust Lily and John when the time is right for her to make her escape.

Right then there's a knock on the door. Andrew says, "Oh that must be my sister Heather." Heather was there to help take care of Natalie and to take care of things around the house until Natalie was better.

As days pass, Natalie can’t quite shake the feeling of being weak and tired. She finds herself softening to Andrew, as he seems genuinely concerned for her well-being. But why did he bring her here? What does he really want from her? Her mind races with questions and suspicions, yet she plays along, not daring to rock the boat, at least until she discovers what his true intentions are. Heather is friendly enough, but Natalie rarely finds herself alone long enough to truly relax.

One evening, as Andrew tenderly tucked her into bed, he asked with concern, "Natalie, are you feeling any better? I hate seeing you like this." Natalie, still feeling vulnerable and disoriented, nodded weakly. "I appreciate your help, Andrew. I want to feel better. "

He gently stroked her hair, offering comfort. "Honey, just know that I'm here for you, and we'll get through this together." Natalie's mind was a whirlwind of doubt, but she replied with a hint of sincerity, "Thank you, Andrew. I don't know what I'd do without you."

She continued to play her part, not yet ready to expose her suspicions and uncertainties. She needed to find a way out, but the web of deception was complex and tightly woven.

Lily comes over one morning wanting to take Natalie out for coffee. “I think it would be good for her to get out of the house for a bit.” Heather hesitates but agrees saying, “We don’t want Natalie to be out too long because she will get too tired.”

At the coffee shop, Natalie grabs the chance to open up to Lily about the situation. Knowing it sounded too outrageous for anyone to believe, Natalie creates a false story of Andrew's abusive attitude towards her. At first, Lily can't accept it due to how loving and attentive Andrew usually is. But she can tell from the fear in Natalie's eyes that there must be some truth in her words. Just then Andrew appears and says, "Natalie you're supposed to be resting, let me take you home."

As soon as Andrew and Natalie stepped through the door, he asked how things went with Lily. She smiled, her eyes lightening briefly at the thought. “It was great. We had a really nice time. It felt good to get out of the house for a little while."

Andrew's eyes narrow, and his voice drops an octave. "What did you two talk about?"

Natalie's heart is pounding, she can't help but feel like Andrew already knows what she said to Lily. He stares her down for a few moments before he finally takes a step back. "I think you should go take a nap," he says in an eerily calm voice. Natalie silently agrees and heads up to her room while Andrew stays in the living room with Heather.

In the dimly lit room, Natalie lay in her bed, listening intently to the muffled voices beyond her closed bedroom door. At first, it was just a low murmur, indistinct and filled with tension, but gradually, the voices intensified.

Andrew's voice boomed, his anger palpable. "Heather, you let her out of your sight? Do you understand how important this is?"

"You promised this would be easy," Heather hissed, her tone icy with anger.

Andrew's voice grew even louder, and it was filled with a mixture of impatience and fear. "We can't afford any mistakes, especially with the inheritance on the line. Do you realize what's at stake here?"

The word 'inheritance' sent a shock of recognition through Natalie. It was her own inheritance that they were talking about, but she had no knowledge of it. The room seemed to close in around her, and she felt like a bird trapped in a cage, unable to escape. The desperation to break free surged through her, and she knew she had to find a way out of this nightmare soon.

Lily could not stop thinking about Natalie and how truly fearful she seemed. Not sure how to help her she speaks to John about her earlier discussion with Natalie, seeking guidance. With his past as a law enforcement officer serving him well, he tenderly speaks in response: "We have to get Natalie somewhere safe where the authorities can apprehend Andrew. We must think of a way to separate Heather and Andrew from her while still ensuring that she stays secure." He carries out some research on Andrew and discovers that he is not married to Natalie and is really an infamous con artist and thief wanted by the FBI. Thinking that preserving Natalie alive is essential if he desires her to transfer the inheritance to him, they come up with a plan for getting her to the hospital: separate her from Heather and Andrew while at the same time keeping her in a secure location.

Lily and John visit Natalie. John distracts Heather and Andrew while Lily informs her of the plan. “We have one shot at this, are you ready?” she inquires in a whisper. Natalie takes a deep breath and nods, brimming with both fear and determination, though she is really not feeling well. Lily swiftly alerts the others to her state: "I'm really worried about Natalie; I think she needs medical attention." Andrew feigns concern for his "wife", yet remains aware of the consequences should their plan be exposed while he urgently dials 911. The situation is so overwhelming for Natalie that she passes out.

Natalie's eyelids fluttered open, and she found herself in a sterile hospital room. The memories of the past weeks rushed back with startling clarity. She was overwhelmed, her eyes wide with fear as she gazed around the room, not entirely certain if the nightmare was truly over.

Lily took Natalie's trembling hand, her eyes filled with empathy. "You're safe now, Natalie," she said, her voice soothing. "We were so worried about you."

Natalie swallowed hard and nodded, tears pooling in her eyes. "Thank you, Lily. I can't believe what they were planning to do to me. It's horrifying."

John, standing beside Lily, continued the explanation. "When we ran a background check on Andrew, we discovered the truth. He's a dangerous con artist, and they had sinister intentions. We couldn't let them succeed."

Natalie's hands clutched the sheets, her mind still racing from the revelations. "I had no idea about any inheritance. They were drugging me? I... I can't believe it."

The doctor, who had been quietly observing the conversation, stepped forward. "Yes, Natalie, they were drugging you to keep you weak and compliant. It's a miracle you're safe now. We'll make sure you get the care you need."

A sense of relief washed over her, but it was mixed with the haunting reality of what she had narrowly escaped. She looked at Lily and John, gratitude filling her voice. "I can't thank you both enough for saving me from this nightmare. You've given me a second chance."

With newfound determination, Natalie closed her eyes, feeling their support and the weight of the world slowly lifting from her shoulders. She knew that her fight wasn't over, but she was no longer alone in it. She finally allowed herself to drift into a deep and tranquil sleep, secure in the knowledge that she had guardians by her side, and a brighter future awaiting her.

October 19, 2023 16:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wandy Bly
18:24 Oct 19, 2023

I liked the storyline, I appreciated the human need for warm hearted trust in others. In the midst of Natalie’s turmoil, she was able to reach out for it.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.