The story of the Shadow's

Written in response to: Write a story about a late bloomer.... view prompt

0 comments

LGBTQ+

In the city named Reflection, there are people who have powers and they allow them to have the two classes. High Class; those with trained power. Middle Class; those that obtain power but don’t use nor control it. Low Class; those without power. Echo someone who was born into a High-Class family who doesn’t have the power making her just dead weight within her family. Echo grew up like every high-class family till she was five and didn’t have her power yet, after a few doctor’s visits it was confirmed she was a powerless girl. From then on out she was treated as a maid, her father liked the thought of that because it meant he could make her do her dirty work. When she would go to school she was bullied by all but one middle-class girl named Midnight, she helped her afterward but wouldn’t stop it due to not wanting to be attacked outside of school. Not many people were born low class because it was slowly dying out. Echo went home one day before Midnight could patch her up because she was already late. When she got home it was the first time her family cared that she was attacked because she was so badly injured that she had fainted right in front of the gates. Her father saw this from his office and ran to get her when he saw her face she shrieked because it was so bloody as if her skin was gone.  When she woke up in the hospital she couldn’t feel the side of her face, her father was suddenly by her side, but he looked different. He had told her she was in a coma for 6 months, he also told her that the side of her face was so damaged that it had to be replaced. When the bandages came off the side of her face was white with an empty eye socket. She looked horrified till her father cupped her cheeks telling her that he was going to take her to get eyes for her eye socket. She was confused why he suddenly cared but didn’t question it. When they arrived home she was greeted by everyone, she didn’t like the attention and tried to go to her sleeping area but was stopped. You will be staying upstairs so your vitals can be watched, is what she was told. That night she had snuck out to get food and overheard her parents fighting. Her mother hated the thought of her living upstairs with that face. After that, she closed herself from everyone when she went back to school everyone stayed away from her. 

A few years later

Echo had grown up a lot in just a few years while in her last year of middle school she had gotten attacked by someone that was known fo causing pain among citizens. When she awoke there was a policeman trying to wake her, when she did he had asked if anyone else was here she answered no kinda confused he then told her that when they arrived there was a mint-colored fire surrounding her. After a few days she had felt warmer, it was the middle of the winter she also noticed small streaks of white showing up in her hair. Many people asked if she was turning old just to try to get her attention. She never gave them what they wanted many people kept pulling at her hair causing her to get mad and felt heat in her lungs but bit her tongue, she never would let anyone into her mind or life. When she was walking home Midnight had seen her and grabbed her causing Echo to trip her making her fall to the ground making her scream. She had looked down with wide piercing eyes make her coward under her. She told her stay out of my way, you’d be safer. Midnight then told her that she saw what happened that day she was attacked. Echo looked at her with fearful eyes horrified that someone she knew about that day. You wouldn’t believe it, you have power. It's nothing like your family. You should come to the gala my father is putting on, here's the invite your whole family is welcome. With that, she leaves with a skip in her step. Echo looked at the invite giving it to her father as she headed to her room. Then noticed that Midnight never told her what her “power” was. Once at the gala she was wearing one of her sister's old dresses since she didn’t own anything but a few sleep outfits and two uniforms. Midnight pulled Echo aside and told her to run up the stairs, when up there she saw a maid holding some clothes very dark-colored. We are running away to the ‘nameless’ city, neither of our families takes our existence for granted. Being in high-class families but being middle and lower classed. There we can restart and live true lives. 

At the ‘Nameless’ City

While there they got their last names removed from all info in the world about them while running through the streets looking for somewhere to stay. They ran into a couple who were fighting about something random. Well look at these cuties, they look lost. That was the last thing they could remember from that night. The next years the girls lived with the man serving as bodyguards and sidepieces. He would have women in and out of the house, none of them ever liked the thought of the girls being within 10 feet of the man. The girls ended up falling in love making work much easier to hide in public. Not many people would care within this city ut when the man said they had to go to a city for work, it was their hometown good thing the girls had changed their looks by training their powers. Midnight's hair had turned a smokey blue and had grown wolf ears and tail. Echo’s hair was now a full white with mint tips and a few pink streaks. During the meeting the girls were to sit on the arms of the chairs this wasn’t the first time, the man had scars because he had been attacked while in meetings. The people inside the building were horrified to see the three of them. They were known as the ‘Shadows’. Their name was all over the place making people fear them all they had to do was to walk in the doors and anyone would do what they were told. The girls were given outfits just for meetings holding hidden weapons and keeping them appealing to the eye. The girls don’t need to be modest for work. Another part of their job is to bring in people to make them owe something to them. The man has this one lady that likes the girls and wants to be a part of their lives but hasn’t asked to see him. Midnight got a call from her and answered she asked if her boss was available, unfortunately not. Making her sad, they would be back that night and could get her a meeting set for that night. She was delighted to hear that. After the meeting, they headed home right away, when they got there the lady was standing at the gate waiting for the man. Well, this is a surprise my lady what is it that you ask for. That was the last thing that got said that night before everything changed.

December 24, 2021 05:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.