0 comments

Coming of Age Crime Fiction

Money is always a bit tight, but they are ok. Still, Mya is a 15-year-old girl and has a lot of growing wants and needs. She loves fashion, but her mom is not so supportive. That is part of the reason she dresses so slutty, she isn’t allowed to buy new clothes. She has a huge crush on this boy in her class, Darius. He looks like a Greek God, with olive-toned skin, and a chiseled jawline. Darius is a bit mysterious, but that only adds to his attractiveness. Who doesn’t like a good mystery to solve? Teehee! ^_^ As most high school-aged kids do, she has this crush she swoons over, fashion that she is trying to figure out, and trying to define herself all while trying to pass her classes and raise her siblings. Mya’s plate is full, to say the least. Contrary to common thoughts, she is still a virgin.

Homecoming is coming up, this is a normal high school dance and a right of passage for many teens. Mya originally wasn’t going to go. She had no date, no one to watch her siblings, and no money for a dress. Plus her mom said no. No surprise coming from Luna, picking up another odd job to pay for her drinking.

One day while she was standing at her locker getting her books for her next class she gets the surprise of her life. “Hey, Mya.” A deep voice resonated from the other side of her locker. She slowly closes the locker and she about faints. Darrius is standing there. She has a fangirl moment. Their eyes lock, her eyes swell to the size of a large peach, her cheeks are brighter than the sun, and she drops her books. If her heart could beat any faster it would fly out of her chest. “ H h h hi” She finally manages to squeak out. Darrius swoops down and picks up her books. On the way back up an untamed lock of hair falls into his impeccably transfixing s eyes, he quickly tucks it back behind his ear and gently puts a hand on Mya’s clammy cheek “Are you ok gorgeous?” She eagerly shakes her head in rapid motions, she is unable to speak from her shock that this God is talking to her. “Well, I’m glad you’re ok. I wanted to ask you to be my date to homecoming next week. And maybe on a date?” By the time he finished his speech, his hand had moved from her cheek to under her chin, gently lifting her face to look at his. Mya’s eyes were glistening like the stars in the sky. She couldn’t believe this was happening! Lost in the moment and still unable to speak, she closed her eyes and kissed him on the lips. This hallmark moment was brought to a sharp and screeching halt by the clanging and whining of the school bell signaling the end of lunch and the start of the next period. Pulling away just enough to speak, foreheads touching and still wrapped in serenity and serendipity, Darrius wipers “I’ll take that as a yes. See you after class beautiful.” He gives her a luscious kiss on her forehead, hands her the books, and fades down the hall to his next class.

Mya is beyond herself and can’t believe what just happened. She is affixed to her spot, as if, if she were to move all of the past 5 minutes would disappear and be a dream. Reality could not be as perfect and terrifying as that dream was. It had to be a dream! A few moments pass as she tries to comprehend all that just happened. She barely blinks, breathes, or moves, she simply can’t think. Suddenly she feels an urgent tap on her bare shoulder and screams! Well, that brought her back to reality. While she jumps out of her own skin and spins around so fast it would make you dizzy...it was just the hall monitor reminding her to get to class. She nods, thanks him, and runs to her English class.

Class drags on and her mind wanders to his soft supple lips and the silkiness of his touch. After class, she drags her feet back to her locker to grab her gym clothes and head to PE her last class of the day. Darrius is waiting for her. “You know no one has ever kissed me to say yes before. But, I’m really glad you did. I’ve been wanting to ask you for a while. Here is my number. I’m so glad you are my girlfriend.” He gives her another smooch, tucks his number into her bra strap, and runs to his last class, Chemistry. Mya quickly programs his number in her phone and runs to PE. Nothing registers for her, or him. Their thoughts are solely on each other. After school, she heads home to do homework and watch the littles. Once her mom came home she bolted out of the house and ran to the mall, hoping to get in a store to try on dresses for Homecoming. Her heart drops when she sees the price tags.

She comes home defeated, she looks at her savings, and it’s not nearly enough for any of the dresses, or makeup, or anything she needed for the dance. She calls Darrius to tell him that she can’t afford it. She is bawling on the phone with him. But he won’t take no and says that he will love whatever she wears. The rest of the week passes in miserable bliss. They fall for each other quickly. Typical high school lovers. With Friday quickly approaching, Mya decides she has to get a dress, no matter what. She sneaks into a shop that looks like it has no cameras and has no one at the register. She goes into the dressing room with a huge bag, stuffs the dress she likes in it, and runs the whole way home.

Homecoming is magical. She dances the night away in Darrius’s arms. She excuses herself to the restroom. After about 15 mins Darrius starts to worry. He decides to leave the dance and see if she is ok. As soon as he turns the corner… his eyes turn to flames and his soul becomes a black pit of rage. Neither of them remembers much more from that fateful night. They both came to in the back of a cop car, handcuffed and dazed.

July 15, 2021 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.