Contest #212 shortlist ⭐️

River, Mountain and Valley Floor

Submitted into Contest #212 in response to: Write a story in the form of a letter, or multiple letters back and forth.... view prompt

8 comments

Fiction

Dear Majestic Mountain,

I pray this letter finds you enjoying a clear sky and warm temperatures. I apologize for being so presumptuous that you might want to hear from me. You and I have been entwined for so long I felt it was time I told you how I feel. I have worked my way down your slopes, through your forests,  and around your rocky shores all my life. I come from a source deep within you. I am intensely connected to you. We breathe together. When you are covered with bare trees, snow, and ice, I get low. When the snow melts, the ice drips, and leaves return, I swell. In storms I darken as your outcrops weather with such majesty. I feel sad when cruel Wind whips around and turns your forests brittle and burns in blazing heat. I silently remain cool and constant at your feet. I feel everything changing in me. I am weaker with less life in me as the fish and other river creatures disappear. You and I are tied to each other. We can be stronger together. I have always loved you. Because of these things I am writing to ask if you will see me.

Please tell me how you feel.

Love,

River

Dear Aspen Grove,

I got a letter from River today. I know that sounds crazy since he is always coming and then quickly going to the sea. But it was a sweet letter about breathing together. He suggested we meet and stated clearly that he loves me. What do you think? I trust your intuition about these things, and you seem to know him better than I. Should I write back?

Love,

Your friend,

Mountain

Dear Mountain,

I am so happy to hear that River reached out to you. From my perspective the two of you are meant for each other. All the Groves know how much he loves you. We can all see it and often wonder why you cannot. You do not need my advice on this, and I am not going to give it. What are you going to do?

Love,

Your friend,

Aspen Grove

Dear Mountain,

It has been a while since I first wrote to you. I am sorry you have not responded but I understand and wait patiently. You have always been a little distant and hard to reach. Anyway, I hope you are well. You look lovely in your new dusting of spring snow.

Love,

River

Dear Mountain,

Just wanted you to know I saw River. We talked about you. He was admiring your lush green dress. He said he felt naked with his rocks showing in places and hoped you would not judge him when he is at his lowest. He seemed sad. I know I said I would not advise you on this, but I do think you should respond to him.

Love,

Your friend,

Aspen Grove

Dear Mountain,

I am concerned not hearing back from you. It has been a long time since my first letter. I hope all is well. There is a rumor that you were injured on your north side last year with all the blasting. I feel colder and cloud over when I come around your foothills on that side. Please remember I am always here if you need anything. Stay warm under your winter blanket for as long as you need to. I will be here when you wake up.

Love,

River

My Dear Friend Mountain,

You may have heard the Groves have all been suffering under this drought. River, who we all depend on, is at his lowest point ever. We do not have enough water to stay here. It has been much warmer than usual, and this is affecting us. Wind blows strong. We will not be here when spring comes. It has been wonderful being with you all these years. Goodbye for now old friend.

Love,

Aspen Grove

PS: River still loves you. Valley Floor is jealous.

Dear Wind,

I know it may seem odd to hear from me since that last stormy break up we had, but there is something happening I want to ask you about. You may have heard the Groves have all gone now. Aspen, before she left, had advised me to get to know and understand River and try to love him. I feel he belongs to Valley Floor. What do you think?

Love,

Mountain

Dear Mountain,

It has been a long time. Thanks for reaching out. I was sad to hear about the Groves. I always admired them. I loved the way they shimmered and quaked whenever I came by. You may not know this yet, but it seems the Oaks, the Elms, and even the Cedars may be leaving also.

I don’t know what to tell you about River. I can say he always seems a little rough when he is around me. He and I have worked together on many projects in the past. I am sure you remember the great gorge we carved together that so many humans now travel great distances to see. Of course, you remember because it is known as one of your timeless virtues. Anyway, River is very powerful. He is always changing though. He seemed happy with Valley Floor in the past. Maybe things have changed with them. Maybe he just feels responsible for her. You will have to figure this out on your own.

Love,

Wind

Dear Wind,

Thank you for your thoughtful letter. I think I will write back to him.

Love,

Mountain

PS: You do not need to always remind me of the gorge project. I hear you whistling through often.

Dear River,

Thank you for your letters. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I have been dealing with some important issues including the loss of my dear friends, the Groves. You and Aspen Grove were friends too. I know you must feel the same sadness.

I kept your letters and reread them often. It is very flattering to read those kind words you wrote. I believe we should meet.

There is a place where my rocks are flat, and you are blue and deep. If you know that place, meet me there.

Love,

Mountain

Dear Mountain,

I know the place. Your rocks are lovely and slippery there. I can only get there in the spring. Wait for me.

Love,

River

Dear Mountain,

I am writing to tell you that as the waterfalls are a trickle and the creeks are dry, River will not be up this year. He is staying here with me. Do not contact him again.

Valley Floor

Dear Valley Floor,

Watch out for River. He will change you. He does not love you. I know you are trying to hold onto him, but you must know he has been unfaithful to you. Perhaps you have seen him writing to me.

Mountain

Dear Mountain,

I apologize for my last letter. I know it was abrupt and very rude.  The truth is I love River so much. I yearn for him as he gathers and engorges himself flowing down your sides. I love the way he twists and turns, the way he moves, first rapidly then slow as he travels over me. When I heard about him writing to you, I became afraid I might lose him. You and I share the same white winters, spring greens and autumn reds, but there is no way I can compete with your majestic beauty. In quiet pools, River loves to reflect you to Sky. Please do not take him from me.

Broken, I am forever,

Your humble servant,

Valley Floor

Dear Valley,

I was rude too. Please forgive me. It was very thoughtless of me to not consider your feelings regarding River. He is fickle, always changing as he rages in flood or gently meanders, pausing in meadows. There is something about him that confuses and satisfies simultaneously. You and I both allow River to refresh us.

Love,

Mountain

Dear River,

I have changed my mind about meeting you. You belong to Valley Floor. She loves you desperately.

Love,

Mountain

Dear Mountain and Valley Floor,

Matters of the heart are never simple. The fact is I love you both. I worry about losing either of you. My life would be over if Mountain falls or if Valley Floor changes. I feel intensely committed to both of you.

We must live together. We need each other. Especially now as the changes are coming so quickly. We can survive the fires. We can expect humans to change us with tunnels, bridges, mining, and dwellings. We can outlive their factories and their dams. All will be fine if we stick together for the long haul.

Mountain, I will always love you and yearn to flow down your slopes. Please be gentle with me as we grow old.

Valley Floor, I am forever a part of you. You define my journey to the sea. You have me for all time, and I love that I help make you what you are.

Valley Floor, I will wind my way through you forever.

Mountain, I will reflect your beauty to Sky with every season.

I will carry nutrients from both of you to revitalize the sea.

For as long as we can, let’s dance together every spring at that low place where slippery rocks and deep pools join.

Lovingly at peace,

River

August 21, 2023 14:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Amanda Lieser
21:55 Sep 17, 2023

Hi Paulette, Congratulations on the wonderful shortlist! I loved how creative it was. It was nice to witness all of these different personalities within this story. It was such a beautiful image-all of the writing to one another. I loved how it painted such a vivid picture. Nice work!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
05:58 Sep 04, 2023

Congrats on making the list only in your two attempts. Fine story here.

Reply

Paulette Lundy
15:43 Sep 06, 2023

Thank you Philip.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
15:35 Sep 07, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
22:35 Aug 30, 2023

There is true romance in nature. I loved this so much. You gave life to the things we often forget are already alive. Thank you for sharing !

Reply

Paulette Lundy
23:46 Aug 30, 2023

Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rabab Zaidi
07:21 Aug 27, 2023

Absolutely mesmerizing !! Very innovative! Well done !! I loved the story!!

Reply

Paulette Lundy
18:31 Aug 27, 2023

Thank you Rabab for reading the story and your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.