1 comment

Coming of Age Drama Inspirational

The train station was dead silent. The daytime activities of coffee vendors, families rushing to get to their trains and the sounds of roaring train engines were that of an older time. The only sound that echoed throughout the empty station was that of a clock posted by the arrivals and departures. The board appeared empty, all except for one departure.

 

Shelby looked at his pocket watch he dug out from his vest pocket. 11:50pm. He glanced up at the departure board.

 

“10 minutes. Guess it’s time.”

 

Shelby grabbed his suitcase and got up from the bench that sat in front of a now closed coffee shop. He knew that this was a now-or-never situation. This was his last chance to make things right.

 

Shelby made his way down the stairs of the station into the lower atrium. His footsteps echoed through the halls. Trudging down the stairs like a child dreading dinner and their family. A feeling he was all too familiar with. A feeling he had been running from for years.

 

The loading dock of the station was decayed and grimy. The tile walls coated with a thick layer of grime that covered up what was once a bright and beautiful marble white. Advertisements for beverage products vandalized with vulgar graffiti and torn. The overhead lights busted and flicked on and off. The lights hummed a soft tune that comforted Shelby. In a weird sort of way. The humming was overtaken by the sound of rapid footsteps.

 

Someone was coming.

 

“Shelby!”

 

Shelby glanced back and spotted Calvin coming down the stairs.

 

 “Shelby, you better be picking up someone here or I swear to God.”

 

“What do you want, Calvin?” Shelby muttered, turning back around to face the tracks.

 

 “Well, considering the fact you ditched all of us at the party, I was worried and came looking for you. You left in a hurry and by the looks of it, you seemed pretty upset. What the hell are you doing here anyway?"

 

Calvin looked down at the suitcase in Shelby’s hand. His eyes lit up.

 

 “No. No, no, no!”

 

 “It’s happening Calvin.”

 

“Fuck you it’s happening! Seriously? After everything that's happened, you’re ditching us?

 

Shelby let out a heavy sigh and hung his head.

 

“It’s for the best Cal. It’s in everyone’s best interest that I leave.”

 

“Is it in everyone’s best interest you leave, or is it in your best interest that you leave?”

 

“Calvin, I’m not going to entertain this conversation. Tonight is my last night here in this town and that’s final. End of discussion. You get in my way to stop me from getting on the train that is coming, then I will not be responsible for my actions.”

 

Calvin balled his fist and approached Shelby.

 

“You see this as an act of selflessness, like some sort of sacrificial event, but that’s not what this is. This is by far, the most selfish thing you could do Shelby. It’s fucking selfish!”

 

Shelby turned and faced Calvin. His eyes wide, burning with intensity and anger. But something else was there, lurking deep behind his irises. Behind the build-up of tears, a shade of sorrow and regret.

 

"Calvin, you’re like a little brother to me. I’ve seen you grow up in these environments. I’m telling you right here, right now. None of what we do, is good. I’ve seen it for a long time and now is the time for change. You have absolutely no concept, no idea of what I feel every single day, what I feel when I wake up. What I see when I look into the mirror, or how the people of this town see me. I’m sorry to say this, and this is not an attack on you. But you will never, ever be able to grasp the slightest idea of what I feel every day.”

 

Calvin sucked his teeth, letting out a laugh at the statement.

 

“I knew it. I knew it! You’re a coward.”

 

“Watch your mouth when speaking to me you little brat.”

 

“This is about the family, isn’t it? This is your solution? You’re running from it. Like a coward!

 

Shelby’s face brightened red.

 

“Calvin, this has nothing to do with the family. This is my personal choice, and you have the choice to either respect it or leave. Either way, this ends tonight.”

 

“You’re making the choice to run from the issues that have plagued this family and town since the day we moved here. Not only are you leaving so you don’t face the consequences, but you’re also hanging out everyone to dry. For what you did nonetheless!”

 

Shelby closed his eyes and turned his head slightly.

 

 “I can see it in your eyes Shelby. You’re hurting. You’ve been hurting since you were a kid. Why can’t you just get over it? Why are you still hanging onto that hatred? Why are you hanging on to that bitterness? What good is it doing to you? It’s killing you!”

 

“Because Calvin, this is reality. This is the way the real world works. I learned from a young age that I was going to be treated unfairly and I needed to make sure I made it out alive. You’re living a delusion. Life is not a pretty thing, and you playing pretend and not acknowledging the harsh truths of this society we live in is going to be your downfall.”

 

“So, me not being a miserable sack of shit my entire life is going to be my downfall? Why the fuck should I take advice from you when you’ve clearly done so well in that department?”

 

“I want you to realize the truth about life and know that there are terrible things out there that will hurt you.”

 

“So, what, so I end up like you when I’m older?”

 

The sound of a train horn pierced through the conversation. Shelby looked towards the sound, then back to Calvin.

 

“So that you don’t end up like me.”

 

The train grew louder and echoed through the tunnel.

 

“What the hell does that even mean?”

 

The train came to a halt at Calvin and Shelby. The door to the passenger cabin opened revealing a man. He held out his hand.

 

“Tickets please.”

 

Shelby brushed past Calvin, handing his ticket to the man.

 

“Calvin, I wasn’t made for this life. I’m past the point of change and repair. It’s too late for me.”

 

Shelby stepped on the train and turned back to his brother.

 

“Unless you learn from me, and succeed where I have failed, nothing in this family will chance. Nothing in this town will change, and none of our lives will change. Unless you try to be something better.”

 

“So, you’re placing the responsibility on me?”

 

“No, I’m giving you a warning of what things will be unless things change.”

 

“Sir, please take your seat. The train will be departing momentarily.”

 

Shelby nodded his head.

 

“Calvin, don’t fuck up like I did. If not for the family's sake, then for your sake."

 

The two locked gaze, waiting for one of them to make the next move.

 

"Goodbye, Calvin."

 

Shelby headed into the cabin and disappeared. The ticket collector extended his hand out to Calvin.

 

“Ticket, sir?”

 

He hesitated, but shook is no.

 

“So be it.”

 

The train sprang to life and slowly rolled down the tracks . The station was empty, once again. The warning echoed in Calvin's head.

 

Unless...


October 22, 2022 00:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rob Lees
12:50 Nov 04, 2022

I liked the thrust of this story. However if I could just say some changes in the talking would add more tension and add in some more detail on surroundings mannerisms. Keep going you are on track to writing the piece that will surprise you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.