1 comment

American

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

  Billy has been taking care of his son by himself for the last eighteen years. Ever since his wife passed during the child-birth of their son Bobby. Billy was a successful lawyer that did very well for himself, and when Bobby was born he decided to stop working and put all his focus into his son until the day he leaves home. It’s the day Billy has been fearing time for the young man he had raised to be on his own in college and Billy now having his house to himself didn’t know what he would do. Bobby since his dad was feeling blue so he told him “why don’t you go back to work dad”, which Billy wasn’t even thinking about, Billy replied “I might just do that son”. Billy and Bobby arrived at the college and said their goodbyes, when Billy got back to the car he emailed his old partner Andrew if he had any positions available at the firm for him. Andrew told him he would always have a place at the firm for Billy. The next day Billy woke up, took a shower,made a cup of coffee, and even ironed his best suit. Showing up eager to work in his best suit, which he was lucky it still fit after eighteen years, Billy couldn’t wait to jump back in and distract his mind from his empty house. Andrew was waiting in his office for his old friend where they talked about the good ol days and how much they missed each other. Billy eagerly asked Andrew “So what big cases did you want me to start on”. Andrew had a confused look on his face and then he replied “Billy you can’t be serious you haven’t been working for eighteen years, I would be a fool to throw you in a major case without letting you work on something more simple first”. Billy was shocked so he asked what would Andrew have him do then, Andrew told him he can start off by helping the paralegals with the paperwork. Billy couldn’t believe he was doing grunt work, he didn’t complain, at least it was better than being in an empty house. 

 A few months go by and Billy is still helping the paralegals with filling forms with the courts and picking up the office. but he gets calls from Bobby once or twice a month where Bobby tells him how he is enjoying college life, which makes Billy feel overwhelmed with joy and make the mountains of paperwork bearable. Andrew called for Billy to come to his office, Billy asked him in a joking manner “how can I help my boss today”. Andrew told him he needed Billy to set up the conference room for the meeting which was like a smack in the face to Billy because that’s what interns do. He did it but as he was setting up the table he got a little light headed, he sat down for a little bit and shook it off. Billy was just trying to keep a positive mindset but he can’t help the big whole in his heart keep weighing him down. He thought that getting a job would help him forget that when he goes home it’s just a house of memories of the better days when he and Bobby would hang out all day long. Billy’s been working hard and every now and then he would get light headed but he didn’t do anything about it, he would just sit down and wait for a little bit and then get back to work. One day Billy got the chance he was waiting for to help Andrew and the partners on a major case. Andrew was briefing everyone and asked Billy to come up and finish the presentation since he helped make it. Billy leaned forward to get up. He felt a little lightheaded but continued to give the presentation. His palms started sweating and he felt his collar was getting tight. In the middle of him finishing the presentation Billy collapsed and was rushed to the hospital.   Billy has been in the hospital for a few days. The doctors said they sent off for some lab work and will be in touch with the results, but they don’t see any reason to hold him longer so they let him go home with Bobby. When they got home Bobby asked his dad what happened. Billy said he felt lightheaded and that was it but told Bobby not to worry and how are your classes going. Bobby told his dad that his classes were good and he was thinking about staying home for a semester or two until his dad gets to feeling better. Billy couldn’t believe his ears he yelled at Bobby you're not going to miss school because I got a little lightheaded, you work so hard to get to where you are now I could never forgive myself if you did that. Bobby nodded knowing if he didn’t agree it could make his fathers health get even worse. Bobby asked his dad since I’m going back to school, can you promise me that you won’t work so hard since I’m far away, Billy said I can do that no problem. The next day Billy went into the office and when he got to his desk there were a bunch of gifts and cards waiting for him from all his coworkers. Billy couldn’t believe his eyes when he was about to cry, all of the sudden he got a phone call. It was the doctors they told him he had a rare heart condition and that he had a heart attack. Billy was trying to hear what they were telling him but he couldn’t quite make out what they were saying he could only hear a ringing in his ears, his palms were getting sweaty, light-headed, and his collar was getting tight. He knew what was happening because of all his emotions going on a roller coaster he was having a heart attack but it was to late he collapsed and banged his head on the corner of his desk causing him to bleed out to death.

October 05, 2022 16:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cathryn V
18:18 Oct 09, 2022

Wow, I didn’t see that coming!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.