1 comment

General

John awoke with a gasp. He was out of breath and it felt like someone was pushing down on his chest. Mornings start early on the farm but this morning he awoke an hour earlier than usual. As he caught his breath, he realized he must be having a panic attack. Today was his son, CK's 18th birthday. More importantly, CK would be leaving tomorrow for college. Unless John did everything he could to make today perfect he knew he would never hear the end of it. Still, the animals needed tending to and he could not neglect any of his daily chores. I might as well get up. He thought as he began to catch his breath. He was a little dizzy but nothing would prevent him completing the morning chores and birthday preparations for his son. 

As John picked up the first bag of feed it felt much heavier than usual. The missing hour of sleep must be taking it's tole, he thought. Can't rest before I get started. He continued his chores willing his sluggishness to go away. He enjoyed the sweet smells of the farm mixed with the pungent aroma of animals. They were the smells of home. As the sun began to rise so did his energy. He soon finished and made his way back to the house.

Approaching the front door, he called out, "Mattie, you in there?"

"Shh, you'll wake the boy!" she hissed in a whisper. "You know he has ears better n' a fox. I swear, sometimes your brain isn't fit for a humming bird."

"Well then, it's a good thing I have you my sweet petunia." he responded with an oversized grin wrapping his arm around her and trying to kiss her on the cheek and settling for her neck as she leaned away.   

"You call me Petunia again and you'll be sleeping with the chickens. No amount of sweet talk will get you out of what you need to do today." she said with the slightest beginnings of a smile.

"He's not here anyway." said John. "I saw him and Lana sneaking out the window right before dawn. I suspect we have a few hours while he walks her home and then sneaks back in to act like he is sleeping.

"Well, at least he has the decency not to parade her in front of me. Said Mattie. "She is a sweet girl even if a little innocent."

"Not so innocent anymore I suspect" replied John.

"Watch your manners John. What if he could hear you?" she reprimanded with a smile showing in her eyes. "By the way, how are we going to hide his gift this year?   

"The same way we would hide any other kids gift I suppose." said John. "I gave up worrying about surprising him a long time ago. Besides he always seems surprised."

"I know. I really thought we had him last year when we gave him the truck. Then, as soon as we gave him the keys, he pulled it around to the new car port he had built for it behind the barn. It is just down right impossible to keep a secret from that boy." Said Mattie.

Mattie straightened her dress and fussed with her hair and began rattling off the list of tasks. She stressed John was to finish by midafternoon so they could all have an early supper. John assured her he would do his very best. Mattie made clear that as long as his best meant he finished on time that would be fine by her. 

John did finish his tasks with a few minutes to spare. He still felt tired and had a few dizzy spells. Then he suddenly realized he had not eaten anything for breakfast. No wonder I have no energy, he thought. As he stepped on to the wrap-around porch he could smell the heavenly aroma of meat and potatoes and all the fixings. He could smell an apple pie he knew would be cooling on the window sill.

As he walked in the front door he said. "Looks like you picked all CK's favorites. Smells heavenly honey. Although I think I prefer the cook to the food." He began caressing her sides as she was working at the stove.

"Mind your manners Johnathan." she admonished. "There will be plenty of time for that when CK's gone. Besides, it smells like a turnip tooted in my nose. Now go get cleaned up and fetch CK. If he does not get down here soon the food's going to get cold."

John went and took a shower. After he cleaned up he knocked on CK's door. As there was no answer, he opened the door to find the room still empty. He took his time walking down the stairs wondering how he was going to break the news to Mattie. Just then, CK flew through the door. 

"Hey Ma. Hope I'm not late. Smells amazing. I'm starving." Said CK.

"Not at all dear. Happy birthday sweetie. Where have you been?" She replied.

"I got up early to go around and say bye to everyone. Leaving tomorrow you know." He said with a sly grin.

"Believe me, we know. Might finally get some peace and quiet around here. Happy birthday son." Said John with a big smile as he gave CK a hug. "By the way, I could have sworn I heard squirrels in the attic last night then it sounded like they were tapping on the wall. Do you know anything about that?"

"Er... Sorry, I guess I have been a little restless the last few nights. Lots to think about I guess." Said CK who had suddenly decided setting the table was of supreme importance.

"Well, be careful," replied John in a somber tone. "You never know when your restlessness might damage something fragile and precious."

CK had many talents but he marveled at his father's insight to his own thoughts and loved him for his velvet candor. He had actually been with Lana all morning as she cried and begged him not to go. He was pondering a response when Mattie saved him saying, "Enough of that boys. It's time to eat."

They sat down and had a wonderful dinner. The kind of dinner most people only read about or see on tv. One with meaningful conversation, laughter and plenty of love. CK's eyes lit up as he discussed the possibilities of going to school in the big city. Pa told dad jokes that always made CK laugh as a kid and continued to warm his heart. Ma listened and nodded while her face carried a smile that never quite reached her eyes.

Noticing the contrast, CK said, "Don't worry Ma. It's literally a hop, skip and a jump and I'll here faster than you can say Jiminy Cricket any time you need me."

"I know." said Ma as she caressed his hand. "It's just that my little boy is all grown up now. You've grown to be such a fine man and I'll miss you in a thousand little ways every single day." 

"I'll miss you too Ma. Umm, speaking of missing you, I still have a few things I need to and a few friends are expecting me. May I be excused?"

"I guess." Replied Ma with an exaggerated sigh. "When will you be home?"

"Everyone is throwing a going away party. I'm not sure when it will end but I won't stay past midnight."

"Ok." said Ma. "Have fun and be careful."

Within seconds CK was out the door and with a swoosh. "Love you." faded into the evening air as he left.

"Well, I guess we should take our after-dinner walk. After that dinner it probably ought to be a long'n." said John.

Soon they were both walking hand in hand. They reminisced about the day they found little CK and all of the precious moments he had brought to their lives. Mattie began to cry and John teared up as he consoled her. His heart felt heavy. Too heavy for sadness. A strong pressure seemed to be building in his chest.

"It's ok sweetheart. It's not like he's gone forever." He started to say as his eyes grew wide and he grasped his chest as he went to one knee. "Martha... call Clark. he gasped."

"Johnathan Lee Kent don't you die on me!" she yelled as his eyes faded shut. "please don't leave me too. CLARK!" 

August 09, 2019 22:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Doge Pyae
05:47 Dec 18, 2023

Hi! I'm from 2023

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.