Apple Pie [Part 1]

Written in response to: Start your story in the middle of the action.... view prompt

4 comments

Funny Fiction Drama

Context: This story was for a school assignment and the prompt was to put a twist on a classic fairy tale. See if you can guess which one this is based off of.



SCENE 1: IN FRONT OF WINTERTIDE MANSION


Reporter: Hello, and welcome to Newz 4 Now! This is Florian Dash, reporting live from Wintertide Mansion with the newest info on the richest person in the country, the CEO of the largest tech company on the planet, the beauty queen everyone wants to meet, the star of th-


Cameraman: Can you hurry it up, already? I’m not sure if we are even allowed to be here. I’m pretty sure the CEO wouldn’t like it if she found out that a random reporter was standing in her flower garden.


Reporter: Shush it! You’re stealing my spotlight! Anyways, where was I...

Today we are doing our special segment, “Ask Away!”, where the viewers can text a question to xxx-xxx-xxxx and we will ask our interviewees as many questions as we can! Start sending in your requests! We will be back after a commercial break.


(Cameraman turns off camera)


Reporter: Okay! Follow me, camera-guy, let's go see if the guards will let us inside the mansion!


Cameraman: They probably won’t. You should have booked an appointment with the CEO like a normal person.


Reporter: Hmm… as much as I hate to say this, you’re right. But don’t worry, I have this all planned out! We will get inside the mansion by climbing through the CEO’s room window. It’s on the first floor, so it should be easy! If we hurry, we can get inside before the advertisement break ends!


Cameraman: This sounds illegal. 


Reporter: Don’t worry I have a license. 


Cameraman: I’m pretty sure you don’t have a license that allows you to break into people’s homes...You sound like you have no idea what you are doing.


Reporter: This is my first day on the job! Of course I have no idea what I’m doing!! Now zip it and follow me, camera-guy!


Cameraman: (sighs) I’m not getting paid enough for this.








SCENE 2: INSIDE THE CEO’S ROOM


Reporter: Yes!!! We’re inside the CEO’s room! Turn on the camera, camera-guy!


(Cameraman starts camera)


Reporter: Welcome back from the break, viewers! As you can see, I am currently in the room of the biggest tech company’s CEO and the winner of the world-wide “Mirror Mirror Beauty Pageant” for the past 10 years… Vanessa Queen!


Vanessa: (walks inside room) 


Reporter: (whispers) As you can see, we have captured real footage of a CEO in its natural habitat. We can observe it as it uses its keen sense of hearing and sight to detect abnormalities in its territory. 


Cameraman: Last time I checked, we weren’t doing a nature show.


Vanessa: WHAT ARE YOU FREAKS DOING IN MY MANSION!?!


Reporter: W-well, you see, we came here for an i-interveiw.


Cameraman: I’m just the cameraman, it wasn’t my idea.


Vanessa: I DON’T CARE! WHO LET YOU FILTHY PEASANTS IN HERE!?!? 

DISGUSTING! ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! I HATE COMMONERS! OH MY GOSH YOU JUST RUINED MY DESIGNER CARPETING BY BREATHING NEAR IT!!! I’M PRESSING CHARGES!! EW!! YOUR HAIRSTYLE IS SO UGLY IT'S GIVING ME A HEART ATTACK!!! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME??? I BET LOTTIE WHITE SENT YOU HERE TO ASSASSINATE ME! I’M CALLING THE COPS!!


(notices camera) Wait, is this camera streaming live on TV?


Cameraman: Um, yes.


Vanessa: (plasters on a fake smile) So you are here for an interview! It will be my pleasure to answer all your questions!! Go ahead, what’s the first question?


Reporter: Huh! Oh right! The questions! (flustered)

Okay, time for our special segment, “Ask Away!”, where the viewers ask the questions! The first question is, ‘What are your thoughts on your biggest rival: Lottie White? She is the CEO of the 2nd largest tech company and seems to be catching up to you and might even surpass your wealth and beauty!’


Vanessa: Lottie White is no match for me, her new tech company is sure to be a total flop and she has always gotten 2nd place in the ‘Mirror Mirror Beauty Pageant’! Plus, she is way too young and gullible and has no experience compared to me.


Reporter: The next question is, ‘The ‘Mirror Mirror Beauty Pageant’ is announcing its winners in an hour, are you feeling confident that you will win this year as well?’


Vanessa: Obviously, I’ll win! All the voters and judges in the Mirror Mirror Beauty Pageant adore me!!!


Reporter: Moving on to the next question, ‘What would you do if Lottie White’s tech 

company made her more wealthy than you, making her the new richest person?’


Vanessa: Hah! I’ll make sure that’ll never happen when I hack Lottie’s- Er… I mean… 

(changes topic) Oh! Would you look at the time! It's time for my daily pedicure. Toodles!! (quickly walks out of room)


Reporter: And that is the end of our segment, ‘Ask Away!’ Thank you to all the viewers who sent us a question! 


Cameraman: (turns off camera) Vanessa Queen seemed like she was plotting to sabotage Lottie White’s tech company.


Reporter: I don’t care, it's not my problem, camera-guy. Speaking of Lottie, I was thinking we could interview her as well!


Cameraman: Oh no. Interviewing Vanessa was traumatizing enough. Another interview might be enough to give me nightmares while I’m still awake.


Reporter: Stop whining! Let’s go to Lottie’s mansion! (shoves cameraman out window)



Cameraman: (screams) THUD!








SCENE 3: IN FRONT OF SUGARFALLS MANSION (LOTTIE’S MANSION)


Reporter: Huh, this place has a weird vibe to it. (mumbles) Kinda reminds me of one of the imaginary realities I made up.


Cameraman: Reminds you of what now?


Reporter: NOTHING! I SAID NOTHING!!! I DON’T HAVE IMAGINARY FRIENDS I 

SWEAR!


Cameraman: I never asked about imaginary friends. Anyway, I think I know what you mean by the ‘weird vibe’. It's really tranquil over here and there aren’t any guards or anything, so it seems out of place for a mansion. I bet it's because of these apple trees. There is enough for an entire orchard just in the front yard!!


Reporter: I know right?! (munch) I bet Lottie has an apple obsession. (munch munch)


Cameraman: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!! FIRST YOU BREAK INTO A MANSION, THEN YOU CHUCK ME OUT A WINDOW, AND NOW YOU ARE EATING APPLES FROM AN ORCHARD THAT BELONGS TO A HUGE CEO!!! THAT’S LIKE ROBBING!! IT’S ILLEGAL!


Reporter: I have no self-control. (munch) These are really good. (munch) Do you want one, camera-guy? (munch munch)


Lottie: (jumps out of a random tree) I see that you are enjoying my apples. 


(Reporter and Cameraman scream)


Lottie: It seems that I may have startled you, please forgive my aggressive entrance and let me introduce myself! I am Lottie White, but you can call me Lottie.


Reporter: Nice to meet you, Lottie. My name is Florian Dash, but most people call me, ‘HEY YOU’!


Lottie: Oh that’s… quite the eccentric nickname. I’ll refer to you as Florian if that's 

alright. And who might you be? (looks at cameraman)


Cameraman: Oh my name is-


Reporter: Camera-guy.


Cameraman: … um no it's not.


Reporter: It's NOT??? I’ve been calling you camera-guy this whole time, but you never said anything about it.


Cameraman: Anyway, my real name is-


Reporter: NOBODY CARES! We have an interview to do!!


Lottie: Oh I’m extremely sorry, but I am not available for an interview right at this 

moment. The Mirror Mirror Beauty Pageant is announcing the winner in a few minutes and I absolutely need to know who won! If you wish, you are welcome to join me and watch the event as it is broadcasted. I’ll have the chef prepare a pie for the occasion!



Stay tuned for part 2.

June 20, 2023 21:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Mary Bendickson
22:44 Jun 20, 2023

'Snow White' is my guess.

Reply

- Lavendosaii -
03:49 Jun 21, 2023

Yep! That's correct. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Wonder
03:17 Jun 22, 2023

Everyone asks who is the Camera-guy, but no one asks how is the Camera-guy. Except no one cares about any of that, we have an interview to conduct and some trespassing to do!

Reply

- Lavendosaii -
17:57 Jun 22, 2023

Yeah! Haha poor camera-guy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.