Unlikely Friendship

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

3 comments

Kids

Once there was a guy named Tony, Tony was a science nerd he loved to do experiments. Toney spent most of his time in a lab near his home. One day his parents decided to move. They had both lost their jobs due to downsizing and they wanted a fresh start. Toney didn’t want to leave. He wasn’t much of an extravert, he liked to be alone and just listen to the sounds of his conscience. Toney didn’t have to many friends but he had one friend who was his best friend. They practically grew up together, their moms had been best friends since collage. They lived in Florida and were moving to Washington. They were so far away that it was unlikely that Toney would be seeing his best friend anymore. 


The day finally came and Toney was moving, they said their goodbyes and got into the car and drove off. It was a long plane ride and they were exhausted when they got to the new house. It was very late there and their stuff hadn’t come. At that time they were too tired to wait up so they found a spot on the floor and fell fast asleep. In the morning all there stuff had arrived except the car. Both of Tony’s parents had already found new jobs and started next week along with Tony starting his new school. 


Tony wasn’t too excited about his new school but he thought maybe he could get a new start too. Monday finally came and Tony got up bright and early to go to school. Because Tony lived so close to his school he decided he would bike every day. 


When Tony got to school he saw lots of people hugging and getting excited to see other people that they haven’t seen in awhile. When Tony walked the hall trying to find his class someone came walking down the hall towards him and the guy knocked Tony’s books to the floor and said “later looser.” Although Tony didn’t like how people treated him he was used to getting over it. 


Tony found his class and was seated next to a football player. This football player seemed nicer than all the other football players that Tony has met. When Toney sat down the football player said “Hi i’m Deven nice to meet you." “Are you new here?” “Yes i am” replied Tony. After awhile they started talking a lot more and Deven even invited Tony to sit with him and his friends at lunch. Tony was a little nervous to meet Deven’s other friends but he was pretty confident. 


Lunch finally came and Tony had GREAT time at lunch and met a lot of new friends! Tony realized there’s a lot more nicer people here than his last school. The last bell rang and school was over turns out that Deven and Tony live really close together. As they walked down the hall to go out the doors home Gavin the one who knocked Tony’s books down before class. He came up to Tony and tried to pick a fight. Deven stepped in front of Tony and said “look man he’s new okay, cut him some slack he’s really quite nice if you get to know him.”Gavin replied “you think I want to get to know this ugly looser?” Deven then pushed Gavin against the lockers and got close and said in a firm voice “ you mess with him once that’s it your dead got it?!” Tony’s face looked really surprised as if he’s never seen this much kindness in someone before.


After that Deven and Tony road bikes home from school together. Tony really liked Deven and they got along great they also had quite a lot in common, turns out Deven really like science too. The next day after school Tony went to Deven’s house. They mostly did science experiments, but Deven wanted to show Tony a video game and turns out Tony liked video games too. Tony was finally seeing that moving here was really good for him. After what Deven did for Tony about Gavin bullying him Tony never saw Gavin being mean to him again. 



Tony was never the sport type person but after he kept going to Deven’s football games he started to like football even more and he thought about what if he would enjoy playing football. He talked to Deven about it and Deven thought it could be a good idea. Tony was never the slim type even though he never played sports. The next week he tried out for the school football team the same one Deven was on. Tony was quite excited but a little nervous. It turns out he was actually very good at it despite he’s never even played it. 


Tony had been getting ready and staying fit and practicing a ton for their upcoming game this was their final game deciding wether or not they will keep going forward. The night was in tense and it was all tied up and 23 setons left on the clock. Tony was the wide receiver on the team and it was up to him to make the last touch-down of the night. Everyone believed he could do it but the only problem was did Tony believe he could?? The game started back up and the seconds were going fast. tony was running as fast as he could to catch the throw. There was 17 seconds left on the clock, and at that second Tony caught the ball and all he had to do was get the touch down. Tony was running running as fast as he could he was finally almost to the line when out of no where someone from behind him tackled him so hard. The good news was that Tony’s hands had been passed the line and they won the game. The bad news was that Tony couldn’t get up he was left lying on the ground, an ambulance came and rushed him to the hospital. After they did an ex-ray they found out Tony had two broken ribs. It wasn’t too terribly damaged but they had to keep him at the hospital for awhile. Deven stayed by Tony’s side the whole time. Deven was there for it all. As the days went by Tony got a lot better and he was able to leave the hospital. Even though this friendship was unlikely it shows how no matter who the person is you can never judge a book by their cover and Deven’s character showed what a true friend is like.

May 24, 2020 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Maggie Deese
21:20 Jun 03, 2020

This was a wonderful story, Mary! The friendship between Tony and Deven was really heartfelt and well written. There were a few grammar mistakes, but other than that, I really enjoyed it. Great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lynn Penny
20:12 May 30, 2020

This was a nice story, a good friendship built up and descriptive of the environment. Some things I noticed were some spelling mistakes(ex-ray vs x-ray, extravert vs extrovert) and different spellings of your main characters name. "Tony vs Toney". Other than that, it was a great piece. Awesome job!

Reply

Mary Donahue
20:41 May 31, 2020

Thanks for the feed back!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.