23 comments

Drama Sad

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire.


Hues of yellows, from the soft sunlight that grazed the wheat fields to the blazing petals of the daffodils in the garden.


Oranges that matched the thriving pumpkins growing next to the house; the sunrises painted behind the mountains; the flames I stoked in the fireplace every night of the past week.


And reds, my favorite. Red like the apples I carve for my pies. Red like hummingbirds that stick their beaks in the sugary water of feeders hanging from trees.


Red like Lewis’s favorite flannel shirt, the one I wear every night. The one I press to my nose, breathing in the scent of pine and campfires that still cling to the fabric.


I didn’t notice the leaves were on fire until this morning, when I walked out the front door to feed the chickens. They stopped me then, the colors. I stood rooted to the spot, inhaling the vibrance, letting it wash over every pore, letting it fill my mind until nothing existed except those burning leaves.


I sit in the rocking chair now, breathing in the crispness only an autumn day can bring, and close my eyes. A bird twitters from an aspen tree. The stream on the side of the house sings.


Lewis always loved that stream.


I raise my wrinkled hand to my neck and clutch my locket as I lean back in the rocking chair. Lewis gave me the locket for my birthday thirty years ago. It’s silver, the size of a quail egg, and it rests against my heart. I hold it out in front of me and unclasp the latch.


There’s Lewis, smiling from the left side of the locket, back when we had nothing. Fresh college graduates and newly wed, living in that tiny apartment on Woodmoore Road. His hair is dark and full, and the wrinkles I’d grown to adore are nowhere to be seen. Neither is the scar from when I accidentally hit his head with a snow shovel.


I smile at the memory and shift my gaze to the right side of the locket. Our four children stare back at me: Jack, Katarina, Dublin, and Liz.


Liz will be coming by today.


I close my eyes.


It took a lot from them, watching Lewis. Two years of agony. Two years of Lewis bumping cars in parking lots until he rear-ended a student driver, and Jack had to take away his keys. I told Jack I could handle it, but he wouldn’t hear it. Someone has to be the bad guy, Mom, and it can’t be you, he said. He needs you.


Two years of slipping on the hard floors and, once, tripping on the curb in a fall that almost gave me a heart attack. I can still hear the shouts from Katarina and the screaming of the ambulance sirens. Nothing hurt, nothing broken, except for my trust in his balance.


Two years of forgetting our names. Liz was the first, perhaps because she lived abroad for so long. Do you know who I am, Dad? she asked quietly, and when he stared at her with his dull eyes, she excused herself from the room and didn’t come back for hours.


Two years of Lewis struggling to get the words right. He threw things when he couldn’t. It’s fine, Dad, Dublin would say. Take your time. But Lewis, the man who rushed through meals, who earned four speeding tickets in one year on his way back home from work...Lewis never liked taking his time.


Two years of accidentally wetting himself. Two years of his loud voice quieting to a mumble and then, eventually, to nothing at all. Two years of his brilliant green eyes dulling to a faded gray. Two years of shedding fat and muscle and color until he resembled a ghost--a wilting rose in that wheelchair. 


There were good times. He said “Wonderful!” to everything, enunciating and stretching out the first syllable in a silly way that made everyone giggle, even haughty Nurse Ritchie at the Assisted Living Center. He still smiled when Frank Sinatra played on the radio. He even asked me to dance once, back when he could still stand.


We worried about the grandchildren, but he was mostly gentle to them. Mostly.


And he squeezed my hand every time I intertwined my fingers with his. There was no warmth anymore towards the end, but those squeezes still made my heart flutter.


On his last day, he squeezed my hand once more and looked at me with those dull eyes, and I knew.


I held him as he fell asleep, and it was as beautiful as the leaves on fire.


Two years of agony, but fifty-six years of painless love. No, not painless. One must endure pain in love. But I didn’t know true pain--true heart-wrenching, screaming pain, the kind that forces you on your knees to pray to any god, every god--until his diagnosis.


Fifty-six years of kisses, of squeezes around waists, of laughing at nothing in particular, of four children and seven grandchildren, of moving from the bustling city to the sleepy countryside, of feeding the chickens and tending to the flowers, of baking pies together, of hikes through the mountains and paddles in the lake down the road.


Fifty-six years of dying bodies and undying love.


I open my eyes and touch my cheeks, surprised to find the wetness there. Lewis left the world three months ago and I’ve kept myself busy every day since then, so I wouldn’t have time to think about his empty chair by the fire, or the delicious stew he cooked on Fridays.


A breeze rolls through the yard and the leaves swirl in the air. I smile through my tears. I’m not sure what I’m crying about--Lewis or the beauty around me or the fact that I know what’s coming next. 


It’s always been my favorite season, fall. A time for change and leaves on fire.


A time for new beginnings, most of all. I know it’s my time now. My new beginning. I push in the rocking chair one last time and prepare to meet my Lewis.

October 14, 2020 00:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Molly Leasure
04:50 Oct 16, 2020

Awww, you've been killing me with the bittersweet old people stories lately. They always get to me!!! I love the idea of your MC exploring her sensory memory through colors. It makes it feel very realistic! And the repitition of "two-years" then "fifty-six" years did a wonderful job of representing what it might have been like trying to help him remember. She may have had to repeat things over and over for him. ~ My fixes ~ "Hues of yellows, from the soft sunlight that grazed the wheat fields, to the blazing petals of the daffodils in ...

Reply

Lani Lane
14:12 Oct 18, 2020

Oh my gosh THANK YOU. Definitely overused some words in this story.... but I still have time to fix before it’s accepted, yay!! Your comments are so so SO helpful 😊 This is actually somewhat based on a true story, my grandpa had dementia for two years so this takes moments from that experience. Very difficult disease to watch.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lani Lane
14:54 Oct 18, 2020

Ok, I just have to say that the WAY you edit just brings a huge smile to my face every time. "This sentence is harboring all your 'thes' and holding them for ransom." "Just a fancy little 'a' sticking his nose into your business." Amazing.

Reply

Molly Leasure
02:17 Oct 19, 2020

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear it's based on a true story. I guess that's why it felt so very real. Dementia is definitely a difficult disease to watch. It's a wonderful tribute to him <3. And good, I'm glad I can make editing a less painful process xD. I guess I just can't help but sass everything...

Reply

Lani Lane
14:35 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you so much!! Also, please NEVER stop the sass. XD Are you going to write for any of the prompts this week?? I feel like they are right up your alley!!

Reply

Molly Leasure
17:03 Oct 20, 2020

Haha! I can't contain it, don't you worry...:P YES! They are definitely right down my alley...I'm just editing them into the grave right now. Hopefully, I'll have at least 2, maybe 3. It depends on whether or not they make the cut! How about you?!

Reply

Lani Lane
19:48 Oct 20, 2020

Eeeeek can't wait to read yours!! I'm hoping to write three... I'm halfway through each, lol. I keep switching between them haha!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Ray Dyer
00:40 Oct 21, 2020

Oh, my God. This story is hauntingly beautiful. Achingly so. I really don't know how to write this, but you captured something that my entire family just lived through (the end of) a year ago. Except for some minor differences, such as what singer on the radio made my grandfather smile, this is scene for scene a depiction of what we just experienced. By that, I mean not just the events, but the emotions that we experienced. The way the sickness brought out a silly sense of humor that we all appreciated so much more because it was a light ...

Reply

Lani Lane
00:46 Oct 21, 2020

Oh my goodness, this comment means the world. Thank you so much, Ray, and I'm so, so sorry you had to go through this. It is such a difficult thing to watch. All of this was taken from watching my grandfather struggle with dementia for two years, and watching my grandmother struggle with being his caregiver. All the little moments--the keys being taken away, the falling, the slipping away--were all experiences from various family members, but especially my dad and grandma, who were there most. My dad was the one with him when he passed, j...

Reply

Ray Dyer
01:01 Oct 21, 2020

You're so welcome. I'm sorry that you had the experience that you did. It sounds like it mirrors my own with my grandfather almost exactly. I have a story about my grandmother's (my mother's other parent) passing that I put into notes because I literally had to, but I'm not ready to put into paragraphs yet; I can only imagine how daunting it must have been to get this out. You did it beautifully.

Reply

Lani Lane
02:36 Oct 21, 2020

Thank you so very much! Yes, some stories absolutely need time. When (or if!) you're ready to write about it, I'll be grateful to read. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lina Oz
16:02 Oct 18, 2020

I'm not crying, you're crying. Seriously––this story is so beautiful and so touching. It's a very real love that I think all dream for and about. You have such a wonderfully descriptive voice, and this story, beyond its emotionality, is also just extremely well-written. A couple TINY grammar/mechanical fixes: I raise my wrinkled hand to my neck and clutch my locket as I push back in the rocking chair. --Maybe “lean” instead of push There’s Lewis, smiling from the left, back when we had nothing. --Maybe “smiling from the left sid...

Reply

Lani Lane
16:52 Oct 18, 2020

Amazing fixes, as always!! Thank you SO much, Lina!! :)

Reply

Lina Oz
03:29 Oct 19, 2020

No problem! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
01:25 Oct 14, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Lani Lane
01:32 Oct 14, 2020

Thank you for reading and for your thoughts! I'll clean up the yellow a bit but I'll be leaving the rest for now. :) Can hopefully edit more tomorrow!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I love the way the words sound in my head, and melt together on my lips. The use of figurative language in this story does not go to waste.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Malz Castell
13:35 Nov 01, 2020

You made me feel every emotion that you must have felt as you wrote it. Isn't that what every writer strives to achieve? Absolutely, heart wrenchingly beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.