The Holiday Party

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Set your story at a work holiday party,... view prompt

7 comments

Romance Christmas Happy

 1,202 words The Holiday Party

Chloe had a big evening ahead of her. She was happy as she started getting ready to go to her work holiday party where her job in a jewelry store was taking place. In behind the jewelry story was a huge storage room and each year they would clean it up and decorate it for their Christmas party. She loved it. It was so beautiful as the lights hung from the ceiling and colorful bulbs hung in the windows and along the walls and lights from corner to corner were tinsels hanging from them. Each year they put a tree in a far corner so it wouldn’t get in the way of the dancing people.

She and her friend Molly she worked with were going together again this year. She liked Molly. She was a warmhearted girl. She always was willing to help her anytime she asked her.

When her friend arrived Chloe’s mom told her she was upstairs. Molly went up to see if she was ready to go.

“Aren’t you ever looking nice.” Molly told her.

“Thank you, you do too.”

“I love green, so mom bought this for me to wear to the party.” Molly said rubbing her hands down her dress. “It’s velvet and I love velvet.” she added.

“I love it too. I would have got a red one, but I don’t care for red, so I thought blue trimmed in green would look nice.”

“It sure does and yours is velvet too.”

“The sparkles make our dresses stand out.” Chloe said.

“So, what do you think Molly, we will find a guy tonight?”

“As long as he is not like the guy, I had last year. He was crazy. Do you know he still calls me and begs me to go out with him.”

“Why don’t you go with him this year?”

“No way. Carrot head is not putting me through the shame he put me through last year.”

“He’s just a fun going guy, Molly.” Chloe laughed.

“Oh, then you go with him.”

“Molly, he likes to joke.”

“You call joking pulling someone's cell from their back pocket on the dance floor then ask, ‘Did you lose this?’, then while dancing with me he leaves me standing in the middle of the dance floor and goes and asks a girl who is already dancing with her boyfriend, for a dance. I could tell you more, but it angers me.”

Chloe was laughing so hard she couldn’t stop. Mom’s waiting in the car. We better go.” She stumbled over her words.

“Stop laughing you can barely walk.”

When she got to the car her mother asked, “What are you laughing over?”

“Molly told me some tricks her boyfriend did last year. She did mention some last year to me but all I have to say is that guy is crazy.”

“Is she going with him this year?” Her mother asked.

Before Chloe answered Molly quickly spoke up, “No, he’s not shaming me like he did last year.”

“Okay. Suppose he’ll be at the hall?” Chloe’s mother added.

“Well, if he is I’m not dancing with him.”

Chloe and her mother laughed.

When they got to the dance Chloe mentioned how nice the hall looked. “The hall looks as good as last year. It’s beautiful.”

“Yeah, but do you see whose here?”

“Can’t miss him for his red hair. He does look good. Dressed in his suit.”

“That’s all that likes good”

“Stop sounding so mean. That’s not your personality,” smiled Chloe. Then as she looked around, she whispered do you see what I see?”

“What,” Molly asked, as she looked toward the same place Chloe was looking. “He’s handsome. Where did he come from?”

“I don’t know but if he asks me to dance, I won’t turn him down. Look at his wavy thick black hair.”

“Keep staring Chloe and he will see you.”

“I hope.”

The party took off in a good start until Carrot head came over to where we sat.

Hello, Molly.”

“What do you want?”

“You looked lonely, and I thought I’d come cheer you up.”

“What you want to put me to shame like you did last year?”

“I’m so sorry. I was silly and wanted to show off.”

“Something was wrong. You embarrassed me all that evening.” Molly told him.

“I’ll be a good boy this year. Give me a chance.”

Molly stared out in the crowd a few minutes, then back to Jason. “How is that going to happen?”

“I’ll show you. Come, let’s dance.”

Chloe had a feeling, Molly still cared for Jason. She always spoke about him, but I didn’t blame her for not wanting to be put to shame. Chloe thought, watching them dance.

Later that evening after Chloe danced with a few guys who asked her, the guy she’s had her eyes on came over to her and said, “I see you’ve been dancing a lot with other guys. Do you mind dancing with me?”

Chloe’s heart started to race. That’s just what she wanted, for him to ask her to dance. It was getting close to 10:00 o’clock and she had wondered if he would ask her. He was surrounded with many pretty girls but still he made it his time to come see her.

“Would you care to dance with me?” he asked, holding out his hand.

When she rose from her seat to dance his after shave ran its way right to the very bottom of her lungs. She was so thrilled to be dancing with the most handsome man in the hall.

“What’s your name?” he asked, in a deep soft voice.

“Chloe.”

“That’s beautiful. Like you.”

“Thank you.” Chloe said lowly. “What’s yours?”

“Jack.”

“I like your name. I used to have a friend that name. I never see him much now. He went to work in Alberta.”

“Was he your boyfriend?”

“No, we’ve been friends for years.”

“I was driving by, and I saw something going on here. There were lots of cars, so I thought I would come in to see what was happening.”

“Yes, every year we have a holiday Christmas party.”

“I’m not from around here. My friend wanted to come see his sister and asked me to come with him. We’re from Boston.”

“That's why I’ve never seen you around.” Chloe said.

Then he said, “We’re here until after Christmas. I think he said he wanted to stay for two weeks. That would give me a chance to see you again.”

Chloe was so overjoyed she was sure he would hear her heart beating.

“Really?”

“Yes, since I laid my eyes on you my plan was to ask you out. Would you be interested?”

Chloe was so thrilled she said, “Sure, if that’s what you want.” She was fighting to keep her excitement down and hoping he wouldn’t noticed.

As they got to know each other better they fall in love. When he asked, “Would you like to marry me.”

She was speechless, then looked in his eyes and said, “Yes, I will marry you.”

Then they kissed.

Molly and Jason stayed together, and she ended up having his baby. 

December 23, 2022 22:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Dilbert Jazz
01:38 Jan 05, 2023

A very sweet story. But you want feedback, as what can make the story better. Add more descriptions, and the ending could have been a little more detailed. As the timeline seems to be to short, or maybe need to be explained better.

Reply

Eunice Amero
04:00 Jan 07, 2023

Yes, I agree. I told myself I should had slowed down, but my mind was on two other stories that needed written. I'm happy you pointed my faults out and I will try to lengthen it to make it better. Thanks again and you have a happy year ahead. Eunice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eunice Amero
04:06 Jan 07, 2023

Please show me where your story would be ? Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Wendy Kaminski
05:06 Jan 01, 2023

A very sweet love story! :)

Reply

Eunice Amero
23:57 Jan 01, 2023

Thank you very much. Glad you liked it. I will try to get to your story, but I am trying to finish a story before the deadline. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eunice Amero
04:07 Jan 07, 2023

Please show me where your story would be. Thank you.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:13 Jan 07, 2023

You can just click on someone's name and it shows you all their stories; here are mine: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/wendy-kaminski/. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.