The Vet Clinic

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story that takes place in a waiting room.... view prompt

1 comment

General

  The Vet Clinic

Andrew Cain sat patiently in the vet’s clinic waiting his turn trying to keep Ohio, his five-year old Pug happy. The room was packed and everyone was trying to give everybody else some breathing room.

Doreen, a thirty-something woman with her three children in tow kept on eye on the rabbit that was in the cage. The kids, particularly Dylan her eight-year old son was getting antsy.

  Sid, a twenty-something dude with tattoos and piercings sat with a snake in a cage. It looked like a serpent, but was only a very large fifteen-foot bull python.

Paul, a grizzled old man sat in the corner with his beloved German Shepherd Sargent. The dog’s white face parlayed its age.

Bill, about Doreen’s age, sat with his daughter Anna who was clutching Fluffy the cat against her bosom.  

Ohio didn’t particularly like felines very much, but had behaved so far. It would have been a very different story if the pugnacious pug had seen the cat on the street during a walk. He would have snorted and huffed and puffed pretending to be super tough and wanting to give chase.

Everyone was silent and nobody talked.  

Cindy, the pretty, young receptionist appeared very busy and looked out into the room. She had caught Sid eyeing her a couple of tines already. It made the female a little uncomfortable.

“I am truly sorry for the wait, but the doctor is running behind. He had to perform emergency surgery on a dog that had its leg run over.”

“Is the dog going to be okay?”

“We will know in about a week or ten days. He has a cast on the leg and hopefully it heals properly.”

“Oh, that’s good to hear,” said Doreen.

“Can I have a dog?” Dylan looked at his mom with the most pitiful eyes.

“No, your sister is allergic to them. We’ve been over this a million times.”

Sally sat as far away from Ohio and Sargent as possible.

Cindy smiled as she looked over all the pets.  

“This is quite the menagerie today. We have two dogs, a cat, a rabbit, a snake and a frog.”

Andrew looked all over for the frog. It was peaking out of Dylan’s pocket. Doreen frowned and shook her head.

“I told you to leave that frog at home. There is nothing wrong with it.”

She glared at Dylan.

“Why did you bring the frog here?”

“For a checkup, mom.”

Everyone laughed.

Suddenly, the frog escaped from Dylan’s pocket and landed on the tiled floor in total freedom. It was a large, healthy specimen of bullfrog and leapt almost halfway across the room.

“Hey, Jeremiah, come back.” Dylan went after it.

Mr. Big, the python went nuts in the cage. It pushed forward and the latch wasn’t closed properly.  

Sid surprised that it had escaped took too long to react.  

Ohio was going crazy. Andrew tried to contain him but it was impossible. The little gamer struggled free and jumped down. He tumbled, but regained his balance and chased after the snake.

Fluffy jumped out of the little girl’s arms when it saw the frog and was ready to tangle with the snake for the prize.

Ohio turned his attention to Fluffy who was not the least bit intimidated.  

Anna attempted to retrieve Fluffy and screamed at Ohio who was chasing the cat around the room.

Andrew joined in the chase but nearly tripped over Anna.

Mr. Big had made a straight beeline for Jeremiah who sailed across the room right in front of Sargent. The old dog looked at the frog and didn’t seem too impressed. In his younger days, he would have swallowed it in one gulp. Before he could make a real stab at things, Jeremiah was gone and had managed to jump on a chair.

Then before Mr. Big could get to it, Jeremiah jumped on top of the desk.

The receptionist Cindy wasn’t too thrilled. Although she worked in a vet’s clinic, she was only brave around animals when they were on a leash or in a cage.  

If she didn’t like frogs very much, Mr. Big was definitely off of her favourite’s list. The snake raced up the desk and just as it reached the top ready to pounce on Jeremiah, the prey leapt on top of Cindy’s head.

The poor girl screamed her head off.

“Get this thing off of me right now.” It was coming from a girl with quivering lips and on the verge of tears.

The snake hesitated, as did Dylan.

Sid approached his pet cautiously.  

“You can’t startle Mr. Big or he’ll pounce.”

Although she shook her head, Jeremiah didn’t move a muscle. He had bigger things to worry about.

Fluffy had lost out in the race for the frog and was now trying to escape from the very annoying, barking Ohio. So the cat jumped on the water cooler and knocked it over. The plastic jug smashed to the floor and burst at the seams from the impact. Water spilled everywhere.

Andrew slipped and landed hard on his ass.  

“Ohio, get over here right now.”

But the pug was too busy chasing Fluffy and they slipped through the water that seeped and covered most of the floor.  

Dylan’s frog who had caused all of the commotion was the object of his desire.  

“Okay, little man, I am going to reach for the python and you grab your frog?”

“Okay, my name is Dylan.”

“My name is Sid.”

A second before they were going to make their move, Jeremiah slid down Cindy’s head, sliming her face and neck and straight down her blouse.

It was one thing to have a frog on top of her head, but inside her shirt drove the poor young woman over the edge. She screamed and stood up shaking afraid to reach for Jeremiah. There was no way she was going to clutch its cold, clammy body.

Sid grasped Mr. Big and struggled to get the snake away from the terrified receptionist. The tattooed dude gave the pretty frightened woman his best hero gaze.

Dylan didn’t know what to do. He knew better than to reach inside and grab the frog. But Cindy was screaming at him: “Get that thing out of my shirt.”

So he went to reach inside.

“Dylan, what do you think you are doing? Don’t you dare stick your hand down that woman’s shirt.”

“But, mom, maybe Jeremiah doesn’t like boobs.”

Paul burst out laughing and was the only one.

Meanwhile, Ohio was like an express train chasing Fluffy and ripping the place apart.

Dr. Filer came running out of the operating room with Theresa, the vet’s assistant in tow.

“What is going on here? Cindy what is wrong?”

Theresa looked at Cindy horrified.

“Get that slimy frog out of my shirt.”

“I wanted to but mom wouldn’t let me.”

“A frog?” Theresa was disgusted.

Doctor Filler looked at Theresa who grimaced.

“When I was a young girl, my older brothers and our cousin always put frogs down my back. I hated them for it. I developed a huge fear of frogs. I’m sorry I can’t do it.”

Meanwhile, Cindy was dancing and shaking all over like a ballerina on steroids.

Doctor Filler wasn’t sure what to do.  

“Get it out of me. Get it out of me right now or I’m going to die.”

“Do it doctor or she’ll go crazy.”

He reached his hand inside her blouse.  

Doreen covered her youngest child’s eyes. Sarah didn’t like that.

“Mom, what are you doing?”

“You are too young to see this x-rated show.”

“But, I want to see the man grab the woman’s booby.”

“No, you don’t.”

Paul laughed even harder.

Sid stood there with Mr. Big all wrapped around him. He only wish it was his hand down that blouse.

The doctor pulled his hand out of Cindy’s blouse without the frog.

“It’s too deep in there.”

Sid causally smiled. After all, Cindy had a very healthy pair of breasts.

“I’m not afraid of frogs. If you want, I can pull it out.”

The young girl kept wriggling and jiggling.

“Oh, my God, it’s in my pants.”

Paul was laughing so hard that he almost fell off his chair.

Sid didn’t know what to do. Was he brave enough to slide his hand down her pants?

Cindy looked at him and then ran into the operating room.  

There was a long silence and then a horrible scream. A second later, she opened the door.

“Come and get your damn frog.”

Dylan ran into the operating room where Jeremiah was plopped on the floor.

“I’m really sorry about all of this.”

Cindy just nodded and stormed past him.

Meanwhile, Andrew was still chasing Ohio who was running after Fluffy. Anna was trying to corral her cat. The feline had raced up the curtains and had sheered them badly. It realized that it wasn’t the safest place and had landed on the floor and taken off again.

“Why is there water all over the floor?” Dr. Filer turned to Cindy who was still recovering from the frog incident.

Finally, Andrew grabbed Ohio.

Fluffy nearly jumped in Anna’s arms.  

Dylan walked out of the room and order had been restored. He cradled his beloved Jeremiah.

Doctor Filler smiled and Theresa looked relieved.

Dylan sat next to his mother and didn’t say a word. He was going to really get it when they got home.

Sally, Doreen’s oldest daughter, looked at her mother strangely and popped her head down at the cage. She screamed.

“Oh, my God, Bertha is having babies!”

Doctor Filler ran to the cage and bent down on one knee.

“Prepare the operating room. We have bunnies to deliver.”

Paul rolled in his chair and kept laughing.

July 11, 2020 00:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Joanne X
15:13 Jul 20, 2020

Hi David I'm in your critique circle! Your story was really eventful and had an interestingly chaotic nature to it, which I thought made it a fun read. I did get a little confused with the large group of characters introduced - it was difficult to keep track of who was who and what pet they owned. But, that just added to the chaos in your story. I also thought it was interesting how you had a pug named Ohio in your story because I have a pug and we live in Ohio haha! Overall, nicely done! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.