0 comments

General

The dining room was full of laughter as the family passed around plates of food. The mother had made a mother-watering meal that the kids would no doubt enjoy. As the kids sat down, the mother raised her hand, stopping them. “Not yet, we are still waiting on my friend.” The kids groaned with displeasure, they really didn’t want to wait. It looked so good, and the steam rising from their plates was enough to make them drool. “Maybe, um, she’s running late.” The son said. “Yeah, “ the daughter pitched in, “Or maybe she can’t make it. It’d be a shame to let the food get cold.” The mother thought for a second, then slightly nodded. “Yeah, maybe.” The kids did little happy dances, but their mother interrupted. “I should call her just to make sure though.” She picked up her cell phone and dialed the number.

After the third time calling, she put her phone back down on the counter. “No answer. I guess we should start without her.” The kids squealed with delight, and ran to their places at the table. The mother reluctantly sat down, pondering on why her friend wasn’t answering her phone. The daughter could see the worry in her mother’s face. “Don’t worry mother, maybe her phone died.” Her mother nodded, and they began to eat their food in an awkward silence.

After the first couple of bites, the doorbell rang, and the mother jumped up with relief. “That should be her, oh thank god she’s ok.” She rushed over to the door, and opened it up, only not to find her friend at all. But instead, a very dirty old man. He was very pale, and his eyes were sunken in. His clothes hung off his body like rags, worn out and loose. His hair, or what was left of his hair, was long and wispy and was as white as cotton. “Please. I must warn you.” He said, his voice almost as broken as his sanity. “You must lock your doors and windows! Do not open this door for anyone.” The mother cocked an eyebrow at him, “Why sir? Are you playing some kind of trick?” He shook his head frantically, the strands of his hair barely even moving. “I’m being honest, I have seen what it will do to you. It’s after you!” The kids came up behind their mother, eyeing each other. “What is after us?” The daughter asked, her voice slightly trembling. He looked around, and stopped when he looked down their street. The mother looked down the street as well, and saw an indistinctive figure about four houses. He stared at whatever was down there, then quickly looked at the family. “Lock your doors! It’s here!” Then, he ran off, sprinting like a madman, not even looking back at what was down the street. The mother glanced back at the figure, and saw that it had moved even closer, now 2 houses away.

The mother quickly locked her door, every single lock. The kids stared at their mother, as she peeked out the curtain. One house away now. “Mom, what’s going to happen? What’s out there?” Her son asked. She saw the fear in her kids, and guided them back to the table. “It’s ok. Nothing is going to happen. Let’s just eat dinner.” They all slid back into their seats, but none of them were hungry anymore. The huge lump of fear was enough to make them full. 

Knock, Knock, Knock. They all heard it. They were soft, but loud enough to cause their fears to spike. The mother stared at the plate in front of her, hoping she had just heard something. The kids looked at each other, confirming they had heard it too. Then, they came again. Knock, Knock, Knock, louder this time. The mother reluctantly stood up, “No Mom! You heard the man.” The daughter begged, tears starting to run down her face. “I just have to check…” “MOM! Please don’t!” The son screamed. 

She stared at him, but took a deep breath and headed towards the front door. The kids followed after her, trying to pull her back. “I just have to check…” is what she kept saying over and over. When they reached the front door, the kids stepped away from her, holding each other tightly. She peeked out the peephole, and saw her friends face. “Oh, it’s just my friend.” She said, and reached for the doorknob. But something stopped her from turning the doorknob. The man’s voice in the back of her head. “Do not open this door for anyone.” The kids repeated. She looked back at them, and dropped her hand. “If it’s really you out there, then what is my name?” No response, just the same three knocks. “Kids, go to the closet!” She yelled, and they all sprinted off. 

The knocks became pounding, as they all cramped in the closet, holding each other for dear life. “It’s going to be ok….It’s going to be ok.” She whispered over and over to her children, and they silently cried in her lap. But then, it all stopped. There was silence. She looked up, and strained her ears for any kind of sound. But then, came knocking. Knock, Knock, Knock, Knock. She counted four. “You guys stay here,” she whispered to them. They begged her not to leave, “What if it’s playing a trick on you!” The son said, but she kissed his forehead. “I’ll be back.” She crept out of the closet, and saw flashing red and blue lights outside her window. The mother stuck her head back inside, “The police are here, it’s safe to come out now. The three of them opened the door, and saw a hefty police man standing there. In his hand was her friend’s head on a stick. The kids screamed and the mother passed out.

After they managed to wake her up, the police explained to her the situation. “You are lucky to be alive, the murders were brutal.” The mother trembled at the word brutal, and the policeman took notice. “Sorry. Well, I’m also sorry for your friend.” “It’s ok, I’m just happy we made it out safe. I’m just thankful for the man that warned us.” He glanced over at her, “Someone warned you? How?” She stared at him, “This old man with really torn clothes and dead hair and his eyes were sunken in, said he had seen what he’d done and said that it was coming to get me.” The policeman froze. “What is it?” She asked. “I didn’t mention this, but there was a second murder, same as the first one, but in an alleyway. The victim was a homeless man with dead hair, sunken eyes, and torn clothes.” “Maybe it was someone else.” She said. He shook his head. “There were no witnesses.”



November 25, 2019 22:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.