The Unwritten Tales That Await

Submitted into Contest #227 in response to: Write a story where someone shares a cup of hot chocolate with a friend.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Urban Fantasy Fiction

On a brisk evening, Mia stepped into the embrace of "Epilogues & Enchantments," a haven perfumed with the aged essence of paper and the hushed symphony of tales lingering in the air—an ideal start to her weekend. Vintage lamps, thoughtfully placed, cast a warm glow, enveloping the space in an ambiance that whispered of timeless stories patiently awaiting discovery. An eager anticipation fluttered within Mia; she couldn't wait to immerse herself in the comforting embrace of a cup of hot chocolate and a captivating story.

Approaching the counter, she met Eloise, the barista with eyes that seemed to carry the weight of countless narratives. Eloise, in her wisdom, suggested the Hot Chocolate of Chronicles—a sip-sized journey through untold stories that intrigued Mia instantly. Excitedly, she agreed, envisioning the adventure awaiting her within the confines of that warm cup.

While Eloise prepared her cup of liquid magic, a tall, handsome boy entered—Alex, as he would later introduce himself. He bore an air of adventure as if he had just descended from the pages of a fantastical tale. With a friendly nod, unbeknownst to Mia at the time, he decided to join her on the Hot Chocolate of Chronicles adventure, turning her solitary pursuit into a shared experience.

As Eloise handed over their cups, each a masterpiece adorned with intricate patterns, Alex casually asked, "Mind if I join you?" Nervously, Mia glanced to Eloise for guidance, uncertain whether she wanted her first enchanted experience to be with him. Eloise nodded ever so subtly, as if she foresaw the adventures not only within the shop but in the years to come.

Together, they nestled in a cozy nook, surrounded by shelves exhaling the essence of ancient stories. Each cradling a cup of magical hot chocolate, they decided to take turns choosing their favorite tales. Choosing first, Mia instantly pulled out The Great Gatsby

Suddenly, the lively parties with Jay Gatsby unfolded around them. Amidst the glittering parties of West Egg, the air crackled with the rhythm of jazz, and Gatsby's opulent mansion loomed in the distance. They waltzed through the extravagance, sipping hot chocolate that tasted like the richness of unspoken dreams and the effervescence of champagne bubbles. The night was theirs, living it just as Jay Gatsby would have wanted.

From the glitz of the Jazz Age, their adventure took a whimsical turn. They landed in Wonderland, a topsy-turvy world straight out of Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." Shrinking and growing, they navigated through curious landscapes and encountered peculiar creatures. The hot chocolate they sipped was a mad concoction, reflecting the eccentricity of the Mad Hatter's tea party. Each sip brought a burst of whimsy and unpredictability, making them feel like characters in their very own Wonderland.

Then came the fog-laden streets of Victorian London. They weren't just readers; they were characters in the great detective's world—Sherlock Holmes. They found themselves solving mysteries and navigating through the intricate plot twists of Arthur Conan Doyle's tales. The hot chocolate they enjoyed was a genius blend, mirroring the deductive prowess of Holmes himself. Each sip felt like solving another puzzle in the mysterious streets of 221B Baker Street.

Their next stop took a spookier turn as they moved to Alex’s top choice—a Gothic landscape straight from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. They traipsed through misty graveyards and contemplated the consequences of playing with life and death. The hot chocolate they sipped took on an eerie quality as if it held the essence of the macabre. It was a chilling experience, both in temperature and in the unsettling atmosphere of the Gothic world they were exploring. Mia approved.

And just when they thought things couldn't get crazier, Mia pulled out a classic she holds dear, pulling them into the fiery world of Fahrenheit 451. Books were burning, ideas were sizzling, and their hot chocolate became a rebellious blend, fighting for intellectual freedom. They sipped it amidst the burning pages, feeling the bittersweet victory of a literary revolution. The taste lingered on their tongues, a reminder of the power of words and ideas. 

Finally, after an exhilarating journey through these literary landscapes, Mia and Alex found themselves back in the cozy corner of the bookstore. The air still tingled with residual magic as they sat in silence, reflecting on the multitude of worlds they'd explored together.

With a shared smile, they took the last sips of their hot chocolate. The flavor lingered on their tongues—hints of adventure, friendship, and the stories that had shaped them. 

As Mia and Alex stepped out of the cozy corner, they took in the antique lamps still bathing the room in their soft glow and the fragrance of hot chocolate lingering in the air. Bound by the magic of shared stories and hot chocolate, they exchanged a warm, knowing glance before stepping out into the ordinary reality of the shop center.

As they approached the counter to bid farewell to Eloise, Mia noticed a subtle shift in the barista's demeanor. There was a hint of a knowing smile in Eloise's eyes, a twinkle that spoke of secrets woven into the fabric of time. Mia felt a connection, an unspoken understanding that surpassed the boundaries of the magical bookstore.

Eloise, with a gaze that seemed to penetrate the pages of Mia and Alex's shared adventure, offered a gentle nod. "Until next time," she whispered, her words carrying the weight of unspoken tales and adventures yet to unfold.

With a final wave, Mia and Alex stepped into the cool night air. The door chimed softly behind them, leaving the enchanting world of "Epilogues & Enchantments" behind. The streets seemed to echo with the remnants of the stories they had lived, and Mia couldn't shake the feeling that this was only the beginning.

As they walked away, hand in hand, Mia glanced back at the bookstore. At that moment, she realized that Eloise's knowing smile held a promise—a promise of more adventures, more stories, and a connection that went beyond the realms of fiction.

Today was just the opening chapter, and Mia couldn't wait to turn the pages of the unwritten tales that awaited her and Alex.

December 09, 2023 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.