0 comments

Drama Crime Suspense



The long, eerie staircase that wound up to the attic seemed steep and gloomy. I had a distinct impression that someone was standing at the top . I reached the top stair and found a tiny heart-shaped box on the floor. I squinched at it for a moment and left it there without any compulsion to satisfy my curiosity. This misapprehension left a slicing chill in the air. Probably just my crafty imagination getting the better of me. The faint howling of the wind made me shiver as I reached for the doorknob to open the attic.


" Come on Lanie, get your act together", I pep talked myself as I took the first step in the only room of the house I vowed never to enter. I felt a soft breeze sweep past me as I entered.


"Brrr, it's so cold!"


I can see my breath and feel my body tremor. The bitter cold embraced my pale face and made my breath float around me.


"Grab your baking moulds and get the hell outta here!"


 I tend to talk myself through frightening situations to take the ease off. If it wasn't Valentine's Day there's no way I'd be up here. I wanted to surprise hubby with a fancy cake, the first Valentine's as a married couple.


Flipping the light switch on, I turned around and was immediately blinded by the beam of light that shyly cascaded through the color stained windows. My eyes adjusted slowly as I took in my surroundings. Dominating the space was an old chandelier with broken stands of glass hanging from the ceiling.

The pungent smell of must and mildew pierced my olfactory receptors. The smell of damp wood from the extending wooden beams made me hold back a choke as I pinched my nose. I inhaled a deep breath and exhaled.

An uneasy feeling ran through my veins as the deadly silence pierced my ears.

I had no need to search for my moulds, I knew exactly where I packed them. Two steps, three steps, and get outta here.


 Walking across the squeaky floorboards I grabbed on to one of the beams above to keep my balance. I waved my free hand in front of my face to ward of the dust. It was then that a light thumping noise grabbed my attention as I stood frozen with one leg in mid -air

.

I slowly moved my glance towards the back of the room when I noticed a ghastly looking one-eyed doll leaning drunkenly on a small wooden chest.. She seemed to have a sick looking stitch -smile, as if she were mocking me.


'Holy mother of...' , I shrieked as a sticky and tangly web plastered my face and hair. I touched my hair shakily and screamed; I pulled my hand back an jerked it back in horror to feel the lump of cobweb. You know those freak dances, where you maniacally jump up and down and headbang like at an AC/DC concert? Yep, that was pretty much me. I looked into the antique wooden mirror which was weirdly angled and frantically began removing it from my hair.


"Lanie, seriously what a cry baby ha... it’s just a cobweb, get it together, ok?"


 Easily said than done. What I laid my eyes on next made my heart stop beating for a minute and my blood curdle.

My attention was drawn to the wooden chest the spooky doll was leaning on. I tightly shut my eyes .


"Is it my nerves playing up on me or did that doll have one eye open a minute ago? What the...??"


I opened my eyes and glanced at her...

 "Wasn't she smiling before???"


I shuddered, shook my head disbelievingly and began exploring the wooden chest. It was made of sturdy wood and stained in some places. The intricate carved ornate detail with mother of pearl edges gave the chest an untouched look.


That’s weird, although the contents of the attic were covered in dusty old sheets this chest seemed unusually clean. With shaky fingers I pulled back the latch and opened the lid. Inside, there was a bunch of scrunched up newspaper. Curiously pulling out the paper I shockingly discovered another small heart-shaped box. It was about 10cm by 10cm with an etched heart on top.


" Hmm, A heart-box for Valentine's Day. Daniel must have stashed my V- day pressy up here, there's no other explanation for it; it's either that or I'm delusional. I still couldn't explain the first one I thought I saw.

In hopeful anticipation of finding something lovey dovey, I succumbed to my curiosity, picked up the box and began examining it. It seemed simple enough except for the rubber band wrapped around it. The shallowness of my breathing alerted me to not open it.


Surely enough, I forgot about my baking moulds and all I could think of now was this box and its contents. I removed the rubber band and opened the lid. I was petrified and horror- struck when I saw the contents which were nowhere close to my presumptions ..a red fingernail, strands of light colored hair , a pair of silver earring studs and a patch of blood stained fabric. The missing person article on the bottom, alongside Daniel's photo with an unknown female made me drop the box as I began hyperventilating.


" The disappearance of 29 year old surgeon is one of the towns' most baffling mysteries. Inquest to restart for notorious missing person case", I read out loud as I limply held the article which had a picture of the same female Daniel was posing with.


Grasping for air made me feel dizzy. I felt so nauseous. I started gasping and wheezing trying to get air into my lungs. This all feels surreal, am I dreaming or what??


I reached into my pocket for my asthma inhalator and started frantically fumbling in my cardigan pocket. No inhalator?? My heart felt like a train pounding down the tracks. Kneeling on the floor. I got up and stumble.

I can’t breathe, I silently scream for help. I choke on my saliva as the numbing of my body pulls me to the wooden floors. I managed to scuttle forward towards to door, touched the cold doorknob and passed out.



My thoughts and fears started to spiral around my confused head like a rapid whirlpool. I opened my eyes to find myself in my bed. Something had happened, or had it? I had my blanket pulled up to my neck and glanced under the sheets to see I was in my p.js. The strong feeling of dread didn’t subside with the confusion of waking. I remembered that something horrible was discovered. It was so plausible that it proved to be visibly present as I remembered it.


The day dawned crisp and clear. The first rays of sunlight lit my room. I absent-mindedly glanced through the window and took a deep breath. I drew back the curtains. Something feels wrong. It’s too quiet outside. I look out and see a group of people hurdled out side my house looking up towards the attic.


‘Just a dream Lanie, just a dream.’ I chanted.


Something still feels bizarrely off though.


“Happy Valentine’s hun!”, I heard Daniel whisper.


Hubby was standing in the doorway holding a wooden tray, looking at me blankly for a moment. His split-of-a- second serious demeanor soon shifted to a cheery one.


“I didn’t want to wake you sweety, you slept like a log after the black out last night.”, said Daniel laying the tray on my bedstand.


“I had a bad dream last night, it was so vivid. I still feel uneasy," I replied glancing at Daniel, hoping to get some peace of mind.


“It must have been some nightmare, you were tossing and turning all night."


 I’m here sweety, no need to dwell upon it, after all, it is Valentines”, he said reassuringly planting a smooch on my lips.


“Mmm, I guess so.”


Hun, I’ve got another surprise for you. Open this one first. Get dressed, were going out later."


He picked up what looked like a box from the tray and hid it behind his back.


“ I hope you like them” he said, as he revealed the box from behind his back and handed it to me.


A small heart-shaped box with an etched heart.

My eyes widely opened as I recognized the box.


“Daniel…I..um..what is THIS ?”


“Open it! ”


I opened the box slowly maintaining eye contact with Daniel the whole time.

Silver earring studs.


“Is this a joke”, I shrieked as I threw the box to him.


“What the hell Daniel??”

“What kind of a sick joke is this?”


“Lanie, what the hell… they’re earrings. I can return them or exchange them if you don’t like them, what’s with the hissy fit?”


“You’re kidding me, right?” I ran into the bathroom and locked the door behind me.


Open up Lanie, What in God’s name is up with you?”

“Seriously, open the door, what are you scared of hun, what’s with you?”


“Leave me alone, go away! “I hysterically yelled back.


 I don’t know what’s wrong, but I have a feeling that something isn’t right. My body tremored. I sat on the toilet and covered my face with my palms, trying to make sense of this situation.

I could hear Daniel pacing back and forth, as if he was rearranging furniture. I heard a heavy object fall, him murmuring something and then silence.

Suddenly, the deafening sound of thumping on the door shook me so hard I slid off the toilet.


“OPEN THE DOOR OR I’LL SMASH IT DOWN!”


I heard his voice change tone.


I ran to the mirror to splash some water on my face.

 I nervously peeked a look at my hair. What a mess! I wet my palms and ran them through my hair to straighten it up a it. I felt something sticky tangled in it. I shook my hand and saw cobweb stuck to it.

I was paralyzingly numb and somehow managed to squat in the corner and felt my insides shiver as my body leaned on the cold mosaic tiles.


I felt chills creeping up and down my spine. Nausea, dizziness, a heaviness in my chest. I’m gonna pass out.



I sat bolt upright drenched in sweat. My eyes snapped open. I looked around the bathroom paranoid and suspicious not knowing if the horror followed me here.


Déjà vu all over again……
















February 15, 2022 19:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.