Daisys adventure

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who goes on a journey.... view prompt

5 comments

Kids

The trail had mist ubiquitously. The soggy midnight was just as much murky as it was drab, but that didn’t hold me. It never would. Mama escaped me just last week and now I’m on my own. Im just a baby, 7 years old. My sister repeated it every day when Mama squawked at me. She’d go right into Mama’s face and state, “jeez Louise, Mama! She’s just a baby, you know!” Mama would become fired up. One night mama just left, leaving me and my sister. My sister took off too the next morning. I knew I couldn’t continue all by myself. In the timbers, I’d surely get eaten by a bear. So I followed on the same trail. Maybe I’d find mama or my sister.


I’m not sure how I ended up in the woods all by myself. I think sister and I went to get some berries from the woods after mama left. She told me to go, but I didn't take notice of it. I loved the woods. Everything about it. Then she left without me, I reckon. I didn't care; I stayed there for as long as I wanted. I knew the way back... so I thought. It took me a week to find my way back, and when I did, nobody was there. Another week later I took off, with a few pieces of meat and water to carry in my mouth.


But Here I Am, talking about my journey, when so many people have it poorer. Some children are awfully small, they don’t know how to walk! 


I spoke to some friends on the streets, on the way of my journey. They have it odd. They don’t have a home, but they have caring parents. I’d rather that. 


I don’t know a portion about time, but I’ve overheard folks chat about it tons of times. According to them, I’m pretty positive it’s been a few hours? Back where my papa lives we didn’t care about no day or night. We played all the time. Papa tells us stories of when he was an infant, when he had this person who would race with him. And they would play with balls together. I don’t know about mama; she doesn’t go for her prior days; I judge she thrived on the hard concrete sidewalks with just nana. 


We once encountered a ball lying around and it made papa happy. it reminded him of his partner who had long legs. 


The sun is growing, so I peer in astonishment at it. The whirling of blues and periwinkles and pinks make me happy, yet bitter, remembering the days mama, papa, sister and I used to follow it in the dawn. I whimper and weep, urging that I find papa or sister. As I think of these remembrances I die down, and suddenly Im snoring, with drool dripping down my face. 


I wake up to see the beautiful golden sun shining brighter than I’ve seen before. The smell is distinct, fresher than I’ve known it to be. Looking around, I notice the flowers are growing higher than they normally do in our forests. Birds are chirping, bees are buzzing, deers are dancing, and- wow look at that! What is it? 

I can’t identify it… a cat? A fox? Owl? squirrel? gazelle? Wait, this animal looked familiar… Mama warned me about this one. The name was something like Lynx; I believe. Mama only said to stay away, but my sister told me more later that night. 


“Little sister,” she said “I know you can’t always trust Ma, but she right about dis thing. It can rip you into pieces, that creature can. It’s nasty, like a giant cat” 


My hazel-coloured eyes widened 2x the size they normally were. My golden-coloured hair thinned out for about a nanosecond, making me shiver, not from the coldness of me being uncovered, but from being scared. 


The Lynx slowly started creeping up on me from behind bushes. I’m superb at sniffing things out, so I know when the Lynx will pounce. But I have little time to think. I take off, running faster than I thought I was capable of. My hairy feet race on the hard rocks of cement. Gasping for air, I take heavy breaths, then starting running even faster. I can feel my ear flapping behind me, the wind increases pushing me the other way, but I won’t stop. Unless it’s meant that I do. The wind is too hard; I stumble down the inclined hard, cement, hill and land right where the Lynx is. I either have two options; to play dead or to run. I don't have time to think I stay there with my eyes open, staring right at the lynx. The lynx has a demon's grin on her face as she inches closer to hurt me. 


I have to go; I have to go; I have to go 


My body isn't listening to my mind, it's not getting up. Right now I could die, I have to think fast. I jump to my feet, and race in the opposite direction of the Lynx and wonderful forest. I breathe heavily again, but it will not stop me this time. The wind is gone now, so I Can speed up. The lynx isn't far behind. Im not sure what she wants from me, but she's not getting anything. I quickly turn the corner so fast she doesn’t know where I went. Now im hiding in a garbage bin.. she won't see me there, right? 



This old man in an enormous truck comes up to the bin. If im not dead by the lynx surely this man will kill me. Ive heard all kinds of ghastly things about people like him. 


His monstrous truck scoops up the bin im in and dumps it into a dark, big, space. Before anything else, I notice the smell. It's terrible... yet it smells like food so I don't mind. Im starved and if I don't eat soon I don't know what’ll happen. Hour after hour an extra load of food dumps on my head, making it smell even worse, but in every tin there's at least one yummy thing to eat. So I stuff my teeny arms with food, hoping each time I Can try to escape... yet I never do. 


__________________________________________



It's dark now, the stars have come out, but not as many as I’m used to. The moon seems small and far away from here. The guy in the truck has taken a break, so if there's any time to escape it would be now. There's a small ladder on the side of the truck. With three turkey sandwiches in my arms and one in my mouth and slowly climb the ladder. Foot by foot, step by step, climb by climb... and then im there! I wasn't expecting to drop from so high, but I’ve only gotten a few scratches by the end of all of this. 


I walk around with all of my sandwiches until I find a small, old, broken bench to sit on. I plop down and before I know it im drooling again. 


“Mom, look! It's a puppy!” is what I wake up to hearing. I let out a small yawn, stretch, then look around for the puppy and girl that disturbed my sleep. 


“Oh, it looks like a golden retriever, doesn’t it?” the mom exclaims 


“Can we keep it? Please, please, pleaseee?” the girl cries with a puppy-eyed look on her face. That was fitting.


“How about we take the puppy to the vet, then go to McDonalds for lunch, sounds like a plan?” 


Before I know it im scooped up by the little girl. “What should I name you, little guy?” she quietly asks 


“You better decide quick, jules, or im letting billy choose”


“NOT BILLY” jules yells, she calms down a few seconds later 


“What about... daisy” she softly whispers 


Daisy, huh? I put my paws on her face and lick her with joy 


“Daisy it is” 



May 10, 2020 15:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

A. Y. R
10:19 May 20, 2020

The part with the Lynx was very tense, and you built up suspense really well! You described the setting really well and built up the scene, which I feel like you could also do on the the dog's feelings too and just be a bit more descriptive with that. Your paragraphs could be broken up a bit better, otherwise it's a great story - very well written!

Reply

Lilac Walker
19:14 May 20, 2020

Thank you! Noted :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
19:37 Jan 23, 2022

Wow! 12 years old and you already write so well... Apart from your paragraphs needing to be broken up a bit better, you described the setting perfectly well and built up the scene in an suspenseful way! This was a great read! Looking forward to reading more of your work soon... ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilac Walker
21:45 May 17, 2020

this is my first time writing a story....truly hope you enjoy! please give me feedback to help me improve!

Reply

Akshara P
19:38 Jan 23, 2022

for your first time, you've done a great job lilac. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.