1 comment

Fiction Suspense Thriller

DEAD WRONG

The inside was dark. Madison Redman was bound and shoved into the compact trunk, her entire body afflicted with agonizing pain. With each bump in the road, her pounding head throbbed, and her heart accelerated.

When will he finally stop? What will he do to me once he reaches his destination? 

She tried to wiggle her fastened wrists. The scratchy rope burned her skin. But this didn’t stop Madison from trying to break free. Free from this horrific nightmare. And from thinking people are basically good—until they aren’t.  

           Madison wasn’t even supposed to be on the deserted stretch of highway that evening. Making a left turn instead of right—heading south instead of north. Suddenly, her front right tire exploded, making it extremely difficult to keep the old Impala on the road. Inching slowly to the berm with her caution lights flashing, Madison knew she was in trouble. Out there—alone—with no spare, no cell phone reception, and the excruciating echo of vulnerability. 

           So, when Madison saw the approaching headlights, she felt elated yet apprehensive of the person sitting behind the wheel of the slow-moving vehicle. At first, the thirtyish, clean-cut, attractive man seemed genuine in his assistance to change the flat. But when he realized Madison was truly stranded, his demeanor mutated from savior to tormentor.

           It didn’t take much to subdue and restrain the 23-year-old college student. The punch was swift and effective, knocking Madison straight to the ground. Flashing lights pulsated behind her eyes, while the sharp pain immobilized her. Before she could protest this intruding and shocking attack, he had her roughly tucked inside his musty trunk.

           The salty tears stung her split lip. As her captor’s car picked up speed, Madison allowed her thoughts to race back to the amazing summer spent with her family. The golden beach, tropical ocean, and lots of fun and laughter filling the sultry atmosphere. 

           Madison wept. Her body shuddered. She would die by the hands of a monster who’d taken away a wonderful, protected life. 

Maybe I deserve it. Maybe I’m not the best person—ignoring the pleas to volunteer ‘just a few minutes’ to help the elderly at the senior center or walk a dog from the neighborhood animal shelter. Does this make me a bad person? Surely, there are others more selfish than me.

           Suddenly, the car stopped. Madison’s attention quickly focused on the sound of a car door opening, then closing. Seconds later, the trunk popped open. She blinked to adjust her eyes. A silhouette of evil loomed above her. Without saying a word, he grabbed Madison and dragged her out of the smelly confinement. Her cramped legs didn’t respond quick enough, causing her to tumble out onto the dry, rocky soil.

           “Get up!” he commanded, his voice deep and rough. Madison moaned from the intense pain. “I told you to get up!” This time, his boot connected solid with her ribcage. 

Madison screamed as she rolled on her left side. She gasped for air. He then grabbed her short brown hair and yanked it hard enough to pull her up onto her unsteady feet.

           Madison screamed, “Help me!” She struggled with her assailant. She knew once he got her inside the weather-beaten cabin, her horrendous nightmare would never end. 

           “No one can hear you,” he hissed through gritted teeth. Madison whispered a silent prayer as she twisted violently from his strapping grip. With a calculated knee to the groin, his dark eyes widened in surprise. Just enough to offset his burly confidence.

           Madison bolted away from her attacker, her feet slipping on the pebbled ground. She didn’t bother to see the results of the nut cracking, instead fleeing into the surrounding trees, shrouded by darkness from the eerie night. 

           Branches tore at her face and dirty clothes. Madison didn’t care if she couldn’t really see what was in front; only what she left behind. Her breathing quickened with each and every stride, several times tripping over unseen obstacles. But she dared not slow down. He was there, too, in the shadowy night. Eager to release his rage upon an innocent victim--and that victim was Madison.

           Adrenaline rushed throughout her aching limbs. She pushed forward, not knowing if she was heading to freedom or deeper into the abyss. It was then she could see headlights flickering against the thickened forest. 

A road! 

With all the strength she could muster, Madison surged ahead. Minutes later, after climbing a slight embankment, she collapsed onto the coarse blacktop. By now, her bondage had come loose. A small piece of rope still clung to one wrist.

           Suddenly, a set of bright lights headed straight for Madison. She tried to scream, but her parched throat couldn’t utter a sound. Screeching brakes abruptly stopped the moving vehicle.  

           A young woman, no older than Madison, jumped from the car and rushed to her aid. Her long dark hair was pulled to the back of her head. “Are you alright?” she said in-between breaths. “Let me help you!”

The kind stranger wrapped her arm about Madison’s waist. Before long, both women were hobbling to the car. Once inside, Madison covered her face with trembling hands.

           “My car…my car broke down. This man…put me in his trunk and…” Her words lapsed into silence. The woman started to drive slowly up the hill.

           “It’s okay. I’ll get help. I live up the road. We can use the landline to call the sheriff. He’ll know what to do.” The car picked up speed. “My name is Sheila. Sheila Waters.” 

Madison laid her head back. “Madison Redman. Thank you for helping me, Sheila.” She kept her eyes closed. Instantly, her body went limp. “I feel so tired.” 

           “Just relax, Madison. We’re almost there. It’s a cabin my parents left us after they passed away. I don’t spend a lot of time here, but my brother Josh loves it up in the hills.” The car swung off the paved road. “It gets a little bumpy.” The old car rattled and shook. 

           Madison started to drift off. Her body was drained of energy. But before she passed out, the vehicle came to a stop. 

“Madison…we’re here. Come on. Let’s get inside. I’ll call the sheriff.” 

Sheila got out of the car. Seconds later, Madison’s door opened. Once again, Sheila wrapped her arm around Madison’s waist as they headed toward the darkened porch of the weather-beaten cabin.

           Madison’s eyelids grew heavy. She fought to stay awake. As she blinked to focus on the cabin, she made a gut-wrenching realization—she was right back where she started. Without warning, she pulled and staggered away from Sheila.

           “What’s wrong, Madison?” asked Sheila as she glanced around. 

Madison pointed to the cabin. “This place…this place…he brought me here!” Madison cried. 

Sheila looked at the rugged cabin. “You’ve got to be wrong. The cabins here in the hills all look alike—especially in the dark. Come on, let’s get you inside.” Sheila took two steps toward Madison.

           “No!” yelled Madison. “Stay away from me!” She slowly retreated away from Sheila.

           Sheila put up her hands. “Okay, calm down. I’m here to help you, Madison. I’m not going to hurt you.” 

As she finished her sentence, the light on the porch came on, and out stepped Josh.

           Madison’s heartbeat thrashed in her ears. Her skin felt clammy. “It’s…HIM!” she screamed as she bolted and rushed away from the threat.

           “Madison! Stop!” Sheila cried out. 

Josh hurriedly came down the steps and stood next to his sister Sheila. He leaned in and kissed her quickly on the cheek.

           “Hey, sis. Always good to see you. Is that one of your friends from the university?” he asked, shaking his head.

           “Don’t be funny…I picked her up on Old Mill Road. She said her car broke down and some guy kidnapped her and threw her into his trunk. She freaked when she saw our cabin, and for some odd reason…you!” Sheila tilted her head and paused. “Why…” She pulled in her brows.

           Josh clenched his jaw. His nostrils flared. Both of his hands were clenched in fists. “I’ve never seen her before,” he spat. 

Sheila shivered in the night damp air. “I better go get her,” announced Sheila, “before she really gets lost.” She turned on her heel and left her brother standing alone. 

Josh pounded his fists on top of the hood of Sheila’s car, leaving a huge dent in the metal. “And this time, you will be sorry!” he muttered. He felt the holstered knife on his hip. Once he was through with her, he’d make sure no one would ever find Madison or her remains. 

After a brief moment, he started after the two women. Josh knew the woods surrounding the cabin like the back of his hand. He didn’t need a flashlight. Heck, he didn’t need any light at all. He had plenty of time to practice hunting his prey under the cover of darkness. Blending in with the silent eeriness of the dense trees. Watching and waiting. Until that exact moment to strike. But this time would be different. He had to deal with his sister, too.  

Sheila huffed and puffed as she rushed after Madison. “Madison, where are you?” she called out. “I’m here to help you, Madison. You don’t want to get lost in these woods at night.” Sheila slowed down. She could hear someone crying. “Come on, Madison. Let me help you.” She stopped and placed her hands on her knees, gasping for breath. 

           “It’s…it’s him!” came a squeaky voice. “If that’s your brother, then he’s a psycho!” whimpered Madison. Sheila could see an outline of a hunched figure.

           “My brother would never hurt you, Madison. He can be a jerk sometimes, but he’s not dangerous. How about if we just drive to the sheriff’s office? Would that be okay with you? We don’t have to go inside the cabin at all.” Sheila slowly moved toward Madison. 

           Madison looked up just in time to see a dark figure looming behind Sheila.  “Sheila, look out! Behind you!”

But it was too late. Josh came down with a tremendous blow to the back of his sister’s head. Instantly, Sheila crumbled to the ground, with a thud. 

           “No!” shouted Madison. Without hesitating, she sprinted deep into the thick of the dense forest.

           “Madison…oh, Madison…there’s no place to run, and no place to hide. No one will hear you scream. No one will hear your cry for mercy when I cut you into pieces!” Josh said, with a laugh.

Minutes later, he was hot on Madison’s trail. His body inflated with increased sexual energy as he barreled towards the young college student. He would definitely enjoy his release before the enjoyment of the kill. This one was a definite looker.

           If Josh was vicious enough to attack his sister, Madison didn’t want to find out what he would do to her. Knowing she could die, her pulse quickened with the sensation of increased strength. Somehow, some way she would have to outsmart this lunatic. 

Sheila stirred. Her head ached from the powerful blow. With every bit of strength she could muster, she sat up. Madison’s attacker had surprised her from behind. With extreme difficulty, Sheila finally stood up. She felt woozy, and her stomach churned. Returning to the cabin had been crucial. A quick call to the sheriff was a must.

“Yes, Sheriff, he’s still here somewhere in the woods, hunting Madison.” Silence. “No, I’m not waiting. She’ll be dead. I have to go. Come now!” 

Sheila checked over the .38 caliber rifle. It had been a while since she practiced at the range. But that didn’t matter. What mattered was finding Madison before the killer had his way with her. 

Madison knew Josh was undoubtedly a seasoned killer. He probably prowled the highways for stranded women. A hunting ground for his devious and sick mind. But she wasn’t going to be added to his list. Not without a fight. 

           The night grew long and cold. Madison shivered. She had to stay hidden. Sounds of snapping twigs and crunching leaves came closer and closer to her hideout. 

           “Oh, Madison! Where are you? You don’t really think you can hide from me, do you? Out here all alone in the dark. I’ll find you, Madison. And when I do…well, I’ll leave it as a surprise.” His sinister laugh pierced the night. 

           Sheila heard his hideous snicker. She had to be close. He must be taunting Madison. Trying to get her to give away her position, making it easier for him to kill her. 

           Josh stopped listening to the footsteps behind him. Did Madison somehow double back? No way. He was indeed an experienced huntsman. She was just another dumb college student. But those were the easiest to secure. Trusting, naïve, and best of all, ripe. A monstrous grin stretched across his thin lips, which he pulled back, baring his teeth.

           Sheila inched through the dense woodland. Expanding, scraggly branches grabbed at her hoodie. Her palms were sweaty as she gripped the burdensome rifle.  

           “He’s got to be close,” whispered Sheila. 

She stopped and looked through the night vision rifle scope. Suddenly, a man appeared within the green image. Sheila blinked her eyes. She couldn’t believe it was her brother, Josh.

           “Oh, Madison, come out, come out, wherever you are!” he called in a sing-song voice. He slowly moved away from Sheila, unaware his sister was so close behind him.

           “What is Josh doing?” mumbled Sheila. 

She rested the heavy rifle on her hip. Her thoughts flashed back to Madison’s accusations back at the cabin. Her stomach sickened at the horrendous thought. 

“Oh, no.” Sheila pressed on.

Josh could smell Madison’s fear. He could sense her body heat. In tune with his prey. Slowly, he drew his sharp, serrated bowie knife from its holster. Just over the downed tree, his unsuspecting mark waited in fear. And then within a few brief steps, Josh had Madison in his grasp once again.

           “No!” she stuttered as his arm tightened around her neck. Madison tried to fight back, her long legs flailing back, trying desperately to break his hold. But Josh was too strong.

           “I told you, Madison, you couldn’t hide from me.” Spittle formed in the corners of his mouth. “Quit fighting, or I’ll gut you like a pig, right here.” 

The cold, thick blade pressed against her cheek. Madison’s arms and hands went limp. Beads of sweat formed on her upper lip. 

           “Now, be a good girl, and let’s go back to the cabin. I have a special surprise just for you!”

Josh loosened his grip. Madison’s footsteps dragged. But as they reached the small clearing, a dark figure, holding a rifle, stood in their way.

           “Stop right there, Josh, and drop the knife,” called Sheila. Josh knew he was dead center in her scope. “I can’t let you take Madison.” Her hands trembled. It took all her strength to keep the weighty rifle steady.

           “Now, you wouldn’t hurt your big ole brother, would you?” taunted Josh. Once again, his grip tightened about Madison’s neck. “It wouldn’t look good, you shooting your own brother, now would it, little sister?” He chuckled. “Nah, you wouldn’t shoot me. I’m the only family you got!”

           Sheila’s trigger finger twitched. Sweat lined her brow. She knew now he was the one who’d knocked her out. She knew he would kill Madison, and maybe even her, too, if she let him go.

           “So, baby sister, you gonna let your bro go? Huh? Come on, now…we both know you don’t have it in you to shoot me,” he cried out. “Shooting a dumb target at the gun range is nothing compared to shooting a living, breathing, human being—especially if that person is your only brother!” he sneered.

           “You’re right, Josh. You are my big brother, and unfortunately, I am your little sister, but…you’re dead wrong about me letting you go!” yelled Sheila as she took aim. “Let her go, now, Josh!” shouted Sheila. In a split second, his face contorted into something evil—something no longer her brother. “Forgive me,” whispered Sheila as she pulled the tight trigger.

A single shot echoed against the trees. She staggered back a few steps from the powerful backlash of the rifle.

           A loud grunt was heard as both Josh and Madison fell to the ground. Warm, sticky liquid spurted onto the back of Madison’s head as she scrambled away. Sheila darted to the spot where her dead brother lay, the huge bowie knife still clutched in his hand. A large hole burrowed through his right eye, and bright red blood seeped out, covering most of his distorted face. 

           Sheila’s eyes filled with tears. She dropped the gun to the ground. Madison inched closer to the broken woman. 

“You…you saved my life…and yours,” Madison whispered. “Thank you.” 

Sheila strained to look through blurry eyes at the listless body she’d once called her brother. In the near distance, piercing sirens resounded, echoing against the hollow hills, shattering the deadly silence once and for all.

September 09, 2022 19:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

J.M. De Jong
17:44 Sep 19, 2022

The suspense hooked me, and a plot twist at that. I was freakin when Sheila was unknowingly taking Madison back to the same cabin, lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.