0 comments

Speculative

Dry leaves tumbled down the empty street. Samantha stared out her window. The cloudy glass made it difficult to see out clearly. Yet, she knew no one was out there. No one ever was out there. Why aren’t children playing

She turned and walked back to the kitchen. She needed to figure out what to make for dinner. Opening the fridge, she leaned in searching the shelves.  Nothing. I need to do the shopping. Samantha sat down at her computer and launched the grocery website. She scrolled through the food options and selected the usual commodities. Chocolate would be nice, but she had no extra for frivolous purchases. She finished, closed the browser, and walked back to her bedroom. There she found her husband, Thomas, lounging on the bed reading with his tablet. 

“I bought groceries.”

Thomas muttered a wordless grunt.

“I saw children playing outside today.”

Immediately Thomas looked up from his novel. His forehead tightened, his mouth pursed.  “Did you see birds?”

“Yes, small ones. I think they are called swallows.”

“Oh good I was worried about them.”

Samantha smiled. One of these days we need to talk about this for real. “Have you talked to your parents?”

Thomas closed his book then dialed his mom. He waited while it rang. Samantha waited in the background, holding her breath, hoping that everything would be okay.  

On the fourth ring, his mom answered, “Hello Tommy. I was wondering if I would hear from you today.”

Thomas swallowed, his eyes blinked a few times.  Oh thank God. “I call everyday, Mom.”

“That you do sweetie. How’s Samantha?”

Samantha took that invite as her cue to join in the conversation. Laying on the bed next to Thomas, she leaned into camera view. “Hi Mary! It is so good to see you. How was your day?”

“Can’t complain.” Mary’s smile rang false.  Tears gathered in the gentle lines that graced her temples, hints to happier days.They could tell the truth was the exact opposite.  

Samantha laid her head on Thomas’ shoulder. One day we will be able to be open and honest again. “Same here. Sun is shining, birds are singing.”

Mary’s eyes opened bigger.  “Oh really? That is good to hear. I really miss the birds.”

They both took a sharp intake of breath. Samantha looked at Thomas out of the corner of her eye as Thomas clenched Samantha’s hand. She tried to guide the conversation, “You hear them all the time. You told me last time.”

Blinking rapidly, Mary seemed to get the hint. “You are right, just today I heard the sweet warble of a swallow.”

Thomas gave a quiet sigh of relief. “How’s dad?” Stay positive.

“Just fine. He sends his love,” Mary said with watery eyes. By blinking a few more times, she managed not to cry and maintained a stoic expression. “Well dears, I should be going. I love you both so much.”

“Love you mom!” Samantha and Thomas said in unison. Thomas touched the hang up button. They sat in silence for a few moments.

Samantha very softly, in a voice of a hush whisper, asked, “Think she will be okay?”

Not wanting to lie in positive phrases, Thomas shook his head and pulled his wife closer to him. There is always someone listening. Always. 

They went through the evening routine in silence. A heaviness hung over them as concern weighed them down. The weight could only be lifted with a successful conversation tomorrow evening. Samantha cooked dinner, noisily banging pots and pans. That is what happened to dad. She looked at all her modern appliances, refusing to wipe a tear. This is how it is now. 

After dinner Thomas and Samtha cleaned up together. Then they put their phones, watches, and tablets on the table.  Thomas took her by the hand and led them into the master bathroom.  He locked the door and Samantha turned on the water to fill their large soaking tub. Thomas drew the blinds, and pulled the curtains shut. Neighbors will think we are doing other things.  

As the water poured into the tub, Thomas grabbed Samantha into a caring embrace.  Together they cried. Deep heart wrenching sobs wracked their bodies. 

Eventually the tears slowed, Samantha breathing came rapidly, she rubbed her eyes with the heels of her palms. She leaned down to get a handful of water to splash on her face. Thomas did the same. Then they slipped into the warm water to soak away the pain of sorrow.  The water was almost too hot, it eased the tension from her shoulders as she sunk further in.

Breaking the silence she whispered, “What will we do? We can’t keep living like this.”

“No we can’t. But remember according to John Locke, ‘government is an agreement between the ruled and the ruler.’ Eventually things will get righted.”

Samantha slipped under the water for a moment to wet her hair. As she resurfaced, she stated, “Not soon enough.” 

“We should finish up. I don’t want anything thinking we have been offline too long. I will miss your father.” They quickly dressed. Samantha hugged her husband before he walked out of the bathroom. She took the time to drain the tub and hang up their towels. We need to make a plan, take a risk. I think tomorrow will show us what we need to do.

***

Samantha sat shoulder to shoulder with Thomas at the dining table. Their intertwined fingers out of sight of the camera. She held her breath as the call rang. After the fourth ring her body asserted itself, forcing her to breathe. 

Thomas counted the rings, nine. Ten. On the twelfth ring, he closed the application. The room absorbed all sounds. Nothing moved. Nothing spoke. The loudest silence held them captive. Half an hour passed before Thomas looked at her. His raised eyebrow matched her internal thoughts. Now

They went upstairs, turned on the tub water again. This time they didn’t shut the door. This time they rebelled. All their smart gadgets dove into the tub.Each gracefully swimming in a zigzag pattern, coming to rest gently on the bottom of the bathtub.  

Thomas haphazardly threw clothes into a suitcase, not paying attention to what he threw in. Samantha pulled her prepared one out of the towel closet. With a nod, they started to exit their safe room. 

She put her hand on his shoulder, causing him to pause. Quickly in her stocking feet, she walked to the bathroom mirror. Using her brightest red lipstick she wrote on the mirror, “The ruled have had enough.” 

Thomas and Samantha left.

July 19, 2024 04:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.