Contest #31 winner 🏆

The Memory Garden

Submitted into Contest #31 in response to: Write a short story about someone tending to their garden.... view prompt

71 comments

General

          In sixteen years, she will leave the garden. She will tell the buyers of the house how to tend each patch and plant, carefully, and they’ll do it for a while and then the garden will fall apart, because they have other concerns. The soil remembers, though. The soil always remembers.

          In eleven years, her firstborn child will pick unripe blueberries in mid-spring, try to taste them and recoil from the sour. She will laugh and take pictures on whatever the equivalent of a phone camera is in ten years. She’ll post them on whatever the equivalent of Facebook is in ten years. She will wonder why she ever thought life was meaningless.

          In fourteen years, the cat will die and she will bury it in the garden, knowing that its body will fertilize the crocuses come spring. And when the first crocuses emerge a few months later, she’ll sing the same sing her father used to sing every April, and she will be OK.

          In three years, she will adopt a cat. She’ll let it wander the garden, peruse the stepping stones with caution, paw the dirt and hiss at the thorns that nearly get caught in its fur. Lucky the fence is there. She’ll take the cat back into the house and finally name it.

          In six years, she’ll meet her wife. She’ll take the beautiful woman back to her house, nervous and unsure if the other woman feels the same way, with the pretenses of making a pie together. The other woman will pick blueberries with her and laugh and tell her that blueberry pie is her favorite. She’ll pretend that she had not already learned this from several hours of online stalking. The sun will catch the other woman’s hair and she will feel melancholy seeing it. They will kiss for the first time in the kitchen later, making pie crust together.

          Two years ago, she moved into the house and told herself that one day there would be a garden out there. She was too tired to dig up the grass and till the dirt and build a fence that day, though. She was tired from moving but it wasn’t just that. She was tired from being alone and working and being misunderstood. The soil knew this. It would still respond to her hands and her tools and be ready for life, but it would also be ready whenever she was ready. Behind the place where the garden would be, forsythia bloomed and reminded her of the golden hair of a woman who’d broken her heart. She wasn’t ready to go into the backyard yet.

          In one year, she will build a fence around the garden. After her first year of gardening, she will have learned that a fence is necessary. She will snicker under her breath, thinking evil thoughts about the rabbits and squirrels and deer who won’t get their greedy little paws on her tomatoes this time. She will soon learn that squirrels know how to climb fences.

          In eight years, she will marry the love of her life in the backyard. They will say their vows under a bower of roses that they grew together. They and their newfound friends and family will eat pasta filled with summer tomatoes from the garden and she and her new bride will cut into a blueberry pie together and smile.

          In nine years, they will celebrate their anniversary under the roses and get an email that the fertility clinic will, in fact, accept their insurance, and they can start planning to have a baby.

          In two years, it will be a horrible grey day in March and her knees will collapse under her and she’ll cry because nothing makes her feel good anymore, not even the stupid garden, and why did she think getting out of the house would help? And slowly but surely, water droplets will start falling. Her hair will be crowned with rain. The soil will get wet. Her pants will become muddy. Her hands will become muddy. The rain and the soil know time and they know that yesterday, tomorrow, and today are fluid as a river and ever-changing as a garden. They know about everything that has happened to her and everything that will happen to her, same as they know how to feed the roots of the basil plant and the asparagus. She will remember her future and think that she needs more life around her, and contemplate getting a cat.

          One year ago, she came back from the store with a bunch of potted plants and told herself that this time, none of them will die. She forced herself to believe it and she lined her windowsill with succulents and herbs and this time, none of them did die.

          In thirteen years, she will go to the farmer’s market with her jams for the first time, and she’ll make friends that teach her how to market her products better. She’ll meet friends who even help her with her day job, so that in sixteen years, she’ll have enough money to move to a bigger house in a better school district.

          In five years, she will accept help from her friend and go to the baking club that meets downtown. She’ll spend most of the time hiding behind her friend and not talking to anyone, for the first few months. Then she will get infatuated with a beautiful woman who loves pies and start learning to speak up. She’ll thank her friend a thousand times and she will tell her cat about it while she harvests butternut squash.

          In fifteen years, her daughter’s friends from play group will all come over to carve pumpkins and she will panic because a bunch of crows destroyed several of the pumpkins and one of her daughter’s friends will burst into tears because they wanted a pumpkin and they will wither away into abject misery if they don’t get a pumpkin right this second. She will save the day with a butternut squash that she will tell the child is a special pumpkin.

          In seven years, she will invite her best friend from childhood to come to her house for Thanksgiving and they will collect acorns and leaves and discuss her best friend’s husband, and her girlfriend, and giggle about nearly-forgotten inside jokes. She will remember that happiness is not a new invention of her new life, but has been there the whole time, holding her up even if she was too scared and tired to know it.

          In six months, her neighbors will move in and their grandchildren will run wild over her backyard, nearly trampling the garden, and she’ll be fine with it because she actually quite likes kids, even if she knows she’s too immature to handle them. In four years, she will babysit those grandchildren while her neighbors give her tips on how to build beanstalks. The grandfather will build her a wooden trellis and present her with it, and she will hold herself not to cry. They’ll spend June and July trading produce. The grandkids will torment her cat with a laser pointer. She will never forget their advice.

          In fifteen years, both her neighbors will have died. Their grandchildren will be in college. The bean trellis will have fallen apart and been replaced with one that she built with her friends from the farmer’s market. She will be moving out soon. The new neighbors are much younger and she won’t know them as well.

          In sixteen years, it will be the end of winter again. The soil knows. It will be ready to melt and feed and turn and grow. It will be ready for rain. And she will prepare it for the last time.

          Today, she tills the soil. Tomorrow, she brings her potted plants out to the new garden. Basil, tarragon, rosemary, and thyme. Blueberries and strawberries for pie. She wants there to be a rosebush one day. She’s going to plant asparagus and butternut squash. In the spring, there will be fine soft greenery. In the summer, there will be sweet tomatoes and beautiful berries. In the fall, there will be gourds. In the future, there will be crying, rain, and love. Today, she makes a garden from scratch.

March 04, 2020 18:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

71 comments

Nalia Grey
16:13 Mar 13, 2020

Beautiful! You deserved that win!

Reply

Maria Windsor
17:18 Mar 13, 2020

I couldn't agree more - I love the style of this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zara Noor
14:22 Mar 13, 2020

This was beautiful. I loved reading it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mishka Stennett
14:20 Mar 13, 2020

Wow, how intricately written. I loved it. Congrats.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avani G
15:35 Jan 03, 2021

Hi Ariel! I was rereading a few of the past winning stories and were scrolling through the comments of this one, many of which are very hurtful. I love this story, and I hope you haven't been feeling otherwise lately. Keep on writing, amazing job! 👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nicola Niemc
22:15 Jul 21, 2020

This reminds me of the garden I had to leave when we moved cross-country. I haven't really allowed myself to think of it as I know I'll get upset, but thank you so much for for this wonderful story! I love the thought of soil being willing to wait for us; I hope my home-soil is still waiting for me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
K.C. Dunford
22:02 Jun 04, 2020

Hey, Ariel! I read your story and loved it! I wanted to let you know about a free writing contest that I am hosting now until the end of June. The winning story will be published by High Dive Publishing and both first and second place will receive a bunch of cool prizes. Visit https://kcdunfordbooks.wixsite.com/contest if you’re interested! I hope you will submit! I’d love to see more of your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathleen March
02:01 May 11, 2020

Gardens always tell the best stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:52 May 08, 2020

I think my very favorite line was "In eleven years, her firstborn child will pick unripe blueberries in mid-spring, try to taste them and recoil from the sour." I can picture that scene so well, and besides that it is so poetic! I remember the first time my little sister tried avocado and made a face like it was super sour- like tasting a lemon. That is how I picture this child eating the blueberries.

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:41 May 04, 2020

This is a wonderful story! You have such a beautiful way of describing everything so that I can see it in my minds eye. You should be super proud of this story, it is absolutely amazing, you are such a talented writer. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelly Leong
03:06 Apr 18, 2020

What a beautiful and moving story! I loved the imagery. I laughed out loud when it mentioned the squirrels and the poor cat being tormented by the kids with the laser pointer. The circle, cycles, love, trials and tribulations of life in relation to the soil and garden, how life keeps going despite everything - wonderful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Katy S.
21:32 Apr 14, 2020

Sweet story! I like the way she built her life up, and the connection it had with gardening. I also like the realism- it's not a fairytale- the people she sold it to, didn't care for it, but that's ok. Personally I feel like stories can be a bit vague, it adds to the feel, but that may be just me.Any way, good job and congrats!

Reply

Show 0 replies
S. Sri
06:01 Apr 09, 2020

Loved this one -- the way the different snatches of the protagonist's life tie together so seamlessly, the way a garden planted to help lift her sadness today becomes the source of so much joy tomorrow, the way it ends in a hopeful, heartwarming way. This is exactly how I see my past. I see jumbled, memorable moments -- some gut-wrenchingly sad, some over-the-top happy, but all somehow fitting together to create a meaningful narrative. Thanks for this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:05 Mar 17, 2020

This is quite well written, although a little confusing to read. Great work though, it's incredible writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jane Thomson
04:27 Mar 16, 2020

I actually thought the choice was based on likes, not made by Reedsy... That said this story is very poignant.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Debbi Bushee
15:50 Mar 15, 2020

The comparison of life to a garden has been done, but your unique way of reflecting on all the the days to come, the days gone by, the planning and outright dreams was wonderful! I truly enjoyed this story and will look for more!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rachel Stone
04:40 Mar 15, 2020

I like the way the messy time line feels like the entanglement of plants and vines grown in a slightly disorderly garden, is if viewing her life from the perspective of the garden itself. (Also you made me get all tearful in places, SO RUDE)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arry Weber
02:18 Mar 15, 2020

It was a good story, and you definitely deserved the win, but I felt a little lost, and it took a while for me to understand what was happening. I'm sorry, but ji don't know how you could change that. Maybe its just me, I don't really know. Other than that, amazing story, keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Becky Vanco
20:06 Mar 14, 2020

Thank you, the confusion of traveling down an unknown life is very well done. Great story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lucy Lee
09:02 Mar 14, 2020

Beautifully written- I couldn’t stop reading! I loved the line “ The rain and the soil know time and they know that yesterday, tomorrow, and today are fluid as a river and ever-changing as a garden.”

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:58 Mar 14, 2020

Congratulations on the win, well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.