2 comments

Holiday

Jill was in a quandary.

She loved her little bed-and-breakfast inn, but she couldn’t hang on much longer. Her husband died of cancer last year and though she still had a stream of regulars stay at her hostel, she couldn’t run it by herself and the bills were piling up.

“Maybe I should just sell this place and move to a small manageable apartment where I can live like a normal person,” Jill thought. “I love this house and all of its charm. And the garden. And the view. And…oh, what’s the use. It used to be fun when Jerry was still here. We were a team, a well-oiled machine. It’s just not fun anymore. It’s backbreaking work with no one to help.”

As she ruminated on her situation, the phone rang.

“Sweet Haven Inn! May I help you?” Jill always used her cheery voice even though she didn’t feel very cheerful right then.

“My car broke down about a mile from your inn. It’s in the shop, but the mechanic said it would take two days to get the parts he needs to get it fixed. Do you have a room for me to stay for a couple days?” 

The caller seemed a little frazzled. Who would blame him as Christmas was a day away.

“Why, yes! Are you at Mike’s shop? I could pick you up, if you like.”

“No, no. Mike said he’d drop me off. I’ll be there in about 15 minutes. Is that okay?”

“Sure. Come on over.”

Shortly, the doorbell rang and in came a tall, tousle-haired youngster carrying a large backpack. “I’m sorry about calling so late. So good of you to take me in.”

“Frankly, this year my inn is empty. My last guest went on his way this morning. Most people have places to be so this is a perfect time for you to stay.” 

Jill was both saddened and relieved that she would have the inn to herself. It would give her a time to reflect on her situation and make a decision on whether to sell or not. Now, with a guest, she wouldn’t be totally alone after all.

“I’m Carson Toller. I was on my way to my parents’ house. I’ve been away at college and it’s the first time I’ll be home in almost two years.  My sisters and brother will be there, too. I guess they’ll just have to wait a few days longer for me. They always said I like to make grand entrances anyway. I’m sure they’ll think I did this on purpose.” He chuckled, an endearing sound behind a flash of brilliant white teeth.

“Well, Carson,” said Jill, “why don’t we get you settled in a room.”

They took the stairs up to Jill’s most scenic bedroom near the back of the Inn. She opened the heavy drapes to expose a view that was breath-taking.

“Wow!” Carson exclaimed. “I don’t know if I can afford this!”

“It’s Christmas so I’ll make you a deal. Can you afford $100?” 

“Yes, I can. Are you sure? This is amazing! Are all the rooms like this?”

“They pretty much are,” said Jill. “My husband and I bought this place just because there were so many great views from every room.” She suddenly looked away, not wanting to show that surprising upswelling of grief she felt. She turned toward the door, reminding Carson, “call your family before they get too worried. I’ll get something warm for you to snack on when you come back down.”

Carson slowly spun around the room. It was immaculate and subtly beautiful. The room was arranged with such care and thought. He was so impressed. He could feel the love and welcome that came from Jill’s heart to this beautiful inn. Carson had just finished an internship with one of the leading international hospitality companies and was back to work with his parents’ franchises across the eastern seaboard. He had to call and tell them about this place.

“Mom!” Carson’s voice was filled with excitement. “My car broke down in Middlebury so I’m staying at this fantastic inn! You should see it! You and Dad would love it! The lady rented me a full-on suite with views that go on forever for just $100!”

“Carson! We were wondering where you were! Are you okay?” Ann was beside herself with worry so she was grateful to hear his voice, although his excitement more than piqued her curiosity about the Inn.

“The mechanic—Mike—said it would be a couple days before he could get a part so I’ll be here unless you want to come and get me. I’d really like to stay a day or two, though. This place is amazing! The innkeeper…Darn, I forgot to ask her name…is really nice, but she seemed a bit sad. I think it would help for her to have some company.”

“Well, uh, okay. Why don’t you stay tonight and we’ll drive down tomorrow and pick you up. Give me the address. I’m curious to see what you’re talking about. Maybe we’ll all caravan over and see this place, too.”

“That would be a great idea, Mom. I think you and Dad would love it. Should I ask if she can put all of you up for a night?”

“Why not? It might be fun to have someone else do the work. Hah!”

“Oh, Mom, you know you love it! See you soon!” He gave her the address before he hung up, looking forward to seeing his whole family again.

Carson ran down the stairs, happy about his exchange with his mother and looking forward to sharing this beautiful inn with his family.

Jill had just pulled cinnamon rolls out of the oven when Carson turned the corner. 

“Oh,” Jill exclaimed.  “I guess my timing was perfect! Were your parents happy to hear from you?”

“Yeah, my mom was a bit worried. I guess that’s what she does, even though she tries not to. Hey! I hope I didn’t speak too soon, but I asked my parents to come and see your inn. Oh, and I forgot to ask your name.”

“I should’ve introduced myself. My name is Jill Comer. My husband and I bought this inn about 15 years ago, but he died last year so I’m running this place myself for now.”

“I’m sorry about your husband. So, you manage the inn alone? No help? I guess I shouldn’t have invited my entire family to come spend a day here, then. Of course, I could give you a hand, if you want.” Carson felt a little awkward, not realizing he could’ve really overextended Jill with so many guests and her handling everything alone.

“You know,” Jill said, “I probably would enjoy the company! It’s been pretty quiet—too quiet, really—since losing Jerry. Maybe some Christmas cheer would be just what I need.”

Jill and Carson sat and talked for a few hours that night as they enjoyed the rolls, then cooked dinner together. It seemed like old times. Jerry would’ve liked Carson a lot. He would’ve been just the kind of boy they’d wanted if only they had children.

It was during their conversation that she found out he was a hotelier as well. He told them how his own family bought their own inn when he was just a toddler, the youngest of four children. He mentioned tough times as well as good and how they built their family business into a four-inn business. Jill didn’t mention her circumstances, or her thoughts about selling, but a glimmer of hope came into her heart. If she could find the right owner, she could leave this beautiful legacy she and Jerry built to someone who cared about the inn as much as they did.

They next morning was crisp. A light snowfall drifted in overnight and left a thin shimmer of white over the landscape. It was beautiful! Jill loved everything about this place and today was as special as every other day. Her thoughts went back to Jerry. Even when he was feeling his worst, he was happiest when he could see the wide-open landscape that was theirs. He loved this inn. He was wistful toward the end, knowing what a burden it would be for Jill to keep the place running without him. He would cry, then, and she would cry with him.

“I’ll do what I can to keep it, Jerry,” Jill lamented. “One day, there’ll be someone who will love this place as much as we do. Then, I’ll let it go. But until then, I’ll do what we’ve always done together.”

Jerry. Her soulmate. Her one true love. How she missed him.

“Well, time to get going. Another day is here.” Jill knew there would be a lot of work to do today, but she was glad she wouldn’t be alone on another Christmas.

Carson was on the phone to his mother. They were already on their way and should be at the inn within the hour. He had the best sleep in many a night and couldn’t wait until his family was here so they could enjoy the inn and Jill as much as he did.

“Carson, are you ready for breakfast?” Jill called up to him.

“Yes, I am. We had a great dinner, but I’m starving! Who knew?”

Jill laughed out loud. Young boys are always starving! She remembered her brothers so well.

“My family will be here in about an hour. They can’t wait to see this place that I’ve been raving about. My sisters are really knit-picky so don’t get offended if they ramble on. My brother and dad both love architecture and landscaping so you know where they’ll be. My mom—she’s an observer. She won’t say a lot, but nothing escapes her. I never got away with much when I was growing up. I thought she had eyes in the back of her head and ears that could hear across the street!”

This made Jill howl with laughter. She hadn’t had a good laugh for so long.

The Toller clan huddled at the door. Carl Toller rang the bell. Carson ran to the door before Jill got there. He ushered them all in and made hurried introductions. 

“This is my dad, Carl, my mom, Ann, my sisters Carli and Anna, and my brother, Corbin. This is Jill, the innkeeper I told you about, Mom.”

Ann steered Jill away from her bustling mob as Carson and Corbin went to get everyone’s luggage. Carl headed outside and the girls went upstairs to view the rooms.

“So,” Ann began. “I hear you’ve made a tremendous impression on Carson! This inn is absolutely beautiful from the road and I’m sure it’s as stunning inside. I can see you’ve done a magnificent job with this home.”

Jill was a bit intimidated by this confident, statuesque woman. She wanted to tell her all about what she and her husband had done to make this inn so special, but she was tongue-tied. Ann smiled warmly and told her that she and her family have this way of “taking over” wherever they go. She asked for a tour and Jill was happy to oblige, thinking that showing rather than speaking would be best. Soon, Ann made Jill feel like an old friend. They enjoyed each other’s company and Ann loved everything she saw. She also mentioned how the inn had a real aura of not only beauty, but a feeling of welcome. 

“Not very many places do, you know?” Ann stated. “This is what we love best in our business. I know it’s an old cliché, but a hotel or inn is a home away from home. You do the best you can to bring that feeling onto your hotel. If you succeed, you can count yourself as a rare breed. You’ve captured that here. You and your husband did an outstanding job with this inn.”

Jill and Ann talked about the pleasures and pitfalls of running an inn. Ann asked about how Jill was doing without Jerry. Jill was very honest about her situation. She wanted to be able to keep the inn, but as a sole owner, she couldn’t manage everything. Ann understood quite well. She and Carl both quit their jobs when their children were young so they could venture out on a mutual dream. They were lucky, but it wasn’t without tremendous sacrifice. Now, they were lucky enough to have children who had the same dream so now they all had their own inns to run—except for Carson.

Now, it was time for lunch and a little more family time. Jill made one of her favorite casseroles for the Tollers, then let them explore the grounds and rooms while she took care of the dishes and prepared food for dinner. She enjoyed this family so much. She was happy that they decided to stay the night. It turned out to be a very noisy and joyful Christmas after all. Her own family was spread all over the country and never traveled much. This was usually her and Jerry’s time. Last year, she was still recovering her own strength besides mourning his loss, but this year would’ve been excruciating without company.

The next day, the Tollers were all packed and ready to leave. It was almost like watching a tornado land, then leave in a whirlwind of noise and activity.

“Does this family ever do anything quietly?” Jill mused. Apparently not. 

Carson was catching a ride to Mike’s to retrieve his car, but he said he would stop by before leaving. Sadly, she knew she would miss him.

When he came back, he asked to sit with her for a bit. She had loads of laundry and cleaning to do, but she was more than happy to talk with him one last time.

“Jill, I know this is a bit more than you expect, but I wanted to make you an offer for the inn.”

Jill was aghast! She had hoped, but didn’t expect anything to happen, especially since his parents were the heads of their business. She thought they might call one day and say something, but to hear Carson say this was beyond her comprehension.

“B-b-but, don’t your parents need to make the offer? After all, you’re still in school and I don’t think you have the funds to buy this inn.”

Carson calmed Jill down. “Remember when my mom said we each have our own inn except for me? They fully expected me to find my own one day. Of course, they didn’t think I’d find it so soon. My sisters and brother found theirs when they were each about 30. Those are the inns they run. It’s the properties they fell in love with and came to my parents for their support. I did the same last night and they told me to go for it. So, I’m asking you. Will you be willing to take my offer for the inn?”

Jill screamed. “Oh, my God, Carson! Yes!”

December 24, 2019 20:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Anni Zimmerman
22:33 Jan 03, 2020

Hello Faith, Welcome to reedsyprompts! I see this is your first submission. Thank you for sharing it! The reedsyprompts Critique Circle has asked me to read your story and provide a critique for Prompt #21. Please understand that I find it difficult to know if writers want constructive criticism or not, so I try to keep my comments at a really high level and hope that it’s helpful feedback. I found your story sweet. After the initial reading, I understood that it was a story about a widow who considers closing her bed and breakfast after ...

Reply

Faith McCune
02:39 Jan 04, 2020

Thanks so much for the feedback. Yes, I love critiques and I have a tough hide so hack away! Very good points you've made. I found explaining in detail about Jill's predicament would exceed the maximum words allowed so I guess "assuming" readers would catch on was a stretch. However, it's mostly the "alone-ness" that was hardest for Jill and not having her partner was her biggest hurdle, not so much the financial aspect of her predicament. I got a real chuckle at the Beaver Cleaver comment. You're right, he's too upbeat for a disas...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.