0 comments

Crime

“I don’t remember anything, please don’t try to tweak my memories and irritate me with you weird questionnaire. Leave me alone will you “, Sana yelled. She was gasping for breath, with disturbed palpations and perspiring body, she was shivering to death. “Fine , now don’t panic, I won’t trouble you further, but the interrogation is not complete yet , I give you a few days time to recover, you have to remember the incidents from your past “. “Noooo” she screamed again.

The chief investigation officer Jason was very adamant; he wanted to finish this case as early as possible.  Sana wasn’t in good condition to answer his bombarding questions. An unresolved murder mystery was reopened after many decades. So everything should be investigated from scratch. Jason didn’t have slightest idea about the case and its proceedings. But he was appointed as criminal investigation officer because the police force beloved in his calibre. He had solved many cases but this one was truly challenging.

“Sana is not in a condition to answer your questions, please give her some time to recover “, the doctor said, who was treating Sana for her mental illness. After a long pause the investigation was revived for its faulty loops and sudden shut down of the case. Jason was a very capable and experience officer to put his hands into the grave and pull out the dead.

After a few days Jason again gained permission to meet Sana. Sana was feeling better but she felt giddy at the sight of Jason. “Ok, Sana, we couldn’t complete the interrogation so I think we can start from the beginning “. “I know you cannot remember a thing of the past, but I feel you might have some faint memories of the incident that took place. ““Your parents were murdered and you are the eye witness of the murder”. “They were your parents right; you want to find out about the culprit who made you an orphan” “I know you were very young at that time but still you might have some faint memories”. Sana gasped her breath and started,” I cannot remember a thing from the past, the incident has shook me up, I lost my parents I am still in a shock.” “Why did you reopen the case Sir, it had been closed because there was no evidence and the only witness that is me, I just can’t remember a thing”. Jason interrupted, “Sana, don’t teach me my work, I was instructed to do so”.

“Sana, Let me just revive your memory circle so that you might remember something “. As per my investigations, your dad Mr. Klein had a textile business and the Sana fashions which you own was a dream project of your dad. Both your parents had struggled hard to put up this business. “Your dad started from scratch to make Sana fashions a super hit. Your mother also had her share in the business and she was also an active member of the industry.  This might surprise you; they were so passionate in this business that after you were born, they named you as Sana.  Sana looked surprised “is it, Oh, that’s news to me, thanks for sharing such valuable information” She seemed sarcastic. Jason continued, “Everything was fine, the business rocked with a fast speed, they had many clients all over the world. Sana fashions rocked the designer world with its best quality fashion ware.”

Jason stopped for a moment and said, “Do you remember anything,” Sana replied with a nod “No”. With a heavy breath Jason started again,” Everything was going on very well, but all of a sudden your company was going bankrupt. The huge business which your parents had put was going under heavy loss”. “Months passed yet your dad couldn’t revive his business. None of his business clients helped him in distress, they just backed out. “And one day your parents were killed. “ “You were the prime witness in the crime scene” “You were too young to handle the shock; hence you lost you lost your memory an attack of schizophrenia.” Even now you can’t remember a thing right” Sana replied “Yes, I feel you are narrating a story, I just don’t remember anything. “ “What’s gone wrong with me” Sana shook her head.  “Don’t bother Sana; I will make you remember every little thing” “Just a few months after your parents death your business revived back to normalcy just within a span of 2-3 months.” How could it be possible the business which was under the verge of closure, zoomed up within a very short span”.  “Very suspicious isn’t it”. Sana had no reply.

“So, Sana your game is up, will you accept the crime or I have ways to do so”. Sana was shivering “Sir, I don’t remember a thing, and your consider me as a criminal this is not fair on your part”. “Fair, my foot, do you think I’m a dumb fool to believe your lie”. “You are absolutely fine and you can become a good actress too.” “For a few moments even I was fooled by your performance great acting uh “. Sana was crying “Now don’t cry and create a scene here shut up” Jason was furious. “Why are you crying, when you have everything with you, your business, your parents “Sana looked up with a shock. “Shocking isn’t it how did I find out about your parents, your parents are in my custody”. Sana gasped for a moment. “Did your parents get a life after their death, wow what a miracle isn’t it, Bull shit, the murdered pair were your uncle and aunt closely related to your parents. Your father had a twin brother named Kevin and your mother had a twin sister named Jane”. “They owned the business of Sana fashions, your parents were very poor and greedy too, and they took the advantage of the identical looks and killed your uncle and aunt to take over their business. You were a young girl of five and this incident shocked you a bit. To make you shut your mouth they forced you to accept that you have an attack of schizophrenia”. “The business was under loss hence your parents decided to kill the actual owners to redeem the insurance which could be claimed after the owners death. “One thing is bothering me is how could nature be so cruel, the actual Sana who is the real owner of Sana fashions resembles you in every bit”. “This was another advantage to you threesome”. “Sana” Jason called, and Lo a girl who was much identical the first one entered the scene. “Sana meet Sana the real one, she was the one who reopened the case to give justice to her parents”. “Now Sana stop acting and accept your defeat, you don’t remember the past right, I think you know your future”. Sana replied with a bent head “Yes I have dreamt of being behind the bars, my future”. She was sobbing hard, and the real Sana was happy there was a smile on her face.

October 09, 2020 17:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.