The most magical place on Earth

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write about a successful marriage proposal, or one that goes horribly wrong.... view prompt

6 comments

Romance Creative Nonfiction

Disclaimer: This is a work of creative Non-fiction/fan-fiction, based on a dream proposal since I was a little girl. It’s inspired by my last trip to DisneyWorld, using the brands setting and merchandise in this story. 

I wish I could explain to her how nervous I’m feeling right now, but that would ruin the surprise. Normally she takes over everything, planning every last detail. It’s been incredibly difficult to coordinate this without her either finding out or letting her know how much stress it’s causing me.

What if she says no? I mean I know she loves me and we’re in one of her favorite places in the world. Disney World, so theoretically she’ll say yes. I couldn’t think of a reason why she would say no to me, but I’m not the one in her head.

For all I know she could still be mad at me because I said no to buying both a new pair of Disney ears and the new backpack from their newest collection. Her words were, “you should have known I was going to want a new set, I always do.” 

She chose the bag and she seems happy with her choice, the black sequins match her black and blue sequin dress and ears she wore. Just getting to watch her happily skip down Main street with her Joffrey's coffee in one hand, while carrying the shopping bag holding her old Loungefly with the other is calming. 

If only she knew how much she warmed my soul, not only now, but everyday for the last four years of my life. When I look at her, I don’t see the giant crowd trying to weave itself around us. There is only her, dear god please let her say yes today! 

“Come on babe, we’re going to miss the parade.” She tried to pull me forward. I didn’t realize she stopped skipping because I was too busy daydreaming about her. 

“You look really beautiful with the castle behind you.”

Her expressions changed rapidly, first was slightly annoyed; must be because I didn’t follow immediately. Then when the corners of her lips rose up, I knew that’s when my compliment clicked. She looked quickly behind her, as if she thought I was lying; but what about? The fact that the castle is behind her? Damn I love this woman, she will always have that amazing, challenging spark.

When she turned back to me her hair flipped over her shoulder, hints of red and brown shined in the light making her look like a goddess; my goddess... 

“Awe, your so sweet. I love you so much.”

Her smile was genuine and warm, I automatically pulled her in close to me, her bag banged into my knee but I didn’t mind. I reached under her chin, tilting her face up. I didn’t care we were standing in the middle of a “street” with however many people watching.

“I love you more.”

Her smile grew, she was about to say some bratty comment but I cut that down by planting a big kiss on her lips. A small kiss, one making even me want more. But a passionate one, that’ll get her in a mood where hopefully she’ll agree to be my wife.

Her eye’s stayed closed for a little while longer, probably wishing we weren’t very public at the moment. When they did open and the sun hit her beautiful sea blue eyes, she immediately shielded downwards.

Before long, she grabbed my left hand again guiding me through the crowds. For a woman a foot shorter than me, I’m surprised at how fast she can walk. I wish time would slow down, just enough for me to enjoy this moment even further. I planned to try to propose during the parade if possible. But seeing how busy it is, I know that’s not going to happen. But if I could get us within a good view of the castle, that would be a dream for her.

The amount of times she’s mentioned the parades is clear how much a fan she is. Apparently there’s different parades for events during the year, even one when it rains, and they have the regular ones that pass through multiple times a day. 

That’s how I knew of the location that I could make ask her to be mine forever. It would break my heart if she told me no, I’ve done everything correct up until this point. I’ve even asked her parents for their permission like she mentioned a few years ago. 

That’s only thing I’m afraid about, it was a few years ago. What if because I made her wait, she doesn’t want to marry me anymore? She hasn’t mentioned anything for almost an entire year now when she used to drop hints weekly. Does that mean she’s changed her mind or did she know that I wanted to ask her so she waited patiently?

My hearts pounding in my ears, I wonder if she could feel my heartbeat in my palm? Why does there have to be so many people? Are all these strangers going to hear my speech to her? She’s slowed down her pursuit, weaving us threw the crowd.

The castle is in direct view, I couldn’t be more thankful she already has an area picked out. It takes off a small amount of pressure without her even knowing, but that means I need to find one of those photography people. It’s times like this I wish I remembered the random facts she tells me, for example the layout of their stations. 

That would’ve be beneficial, except now I have to find their uniforms among the public. I’m praying luck with play with me for once and I will find a photographer close to were Elisabeth choses her spot. The spot that will always replay in our memories for the rest of our lives, even if she says no. Goosebumps spread across my skin.

She guided us in between so many other groups, trying to find the best spot. Too bad, she’s not my height. I tower above most heads, but I think she’s getting her view blocked in all directions.

I can tell the path where the parade is coming through, everyone is gathering on both sides of the “road”. The idea of getting a picture of her saying yes with the castle directly behind has gone out the wind. We are stuck on the opposite side of the road, with a hundred people blocking that idea. Plus I don’t even see any photographers on that side.

Looking around I found one busy taking photos, not too far from us. I leaned down to my girlfriend, “The crowd is better over there!” I pointed over her right shoulder, praying my plan works. 

She nodded and moved forward, Yeah! I followed behind her, super grateful for this moment. The photographer surprisingly didn’t have a line. She stood in the middle taking pictures of people with the castle as the backdrop. People gave her the space and walked around her trying to get to their destination. 

“Can we get a photo taken real quick? When the parade comes threw we should be able to still see it.”

She paused before looking up at me, I think she’s happy I want to do more than go on rides. “Sure, I love you.”

I felt my heart skip a beat, “I love you too.”

“Where is it?” She started stretching as tall as possible, looking for the photography lady.

I grabbed her hand and brought her over, I didn’t want to wait until I thought the moment was absolutely perfect. I didn’t want to wait too long and miss my chance, I know in my heart this is the spot. 

As soon as we made it to the lady, I followed her direction to where we’re supposed to wait in line. Normally, she is talking so much about anything going on in the world but at the moment she’s taking everything she sees in. Even though I’m mostly watching her, I do see what she see’s and the magic behind it.

When I take that moment like she does, it really feels like we’ve been transported to a fairy book world. The castle is so large, I could truly believe a princess or two lives in it. They have built every building and landscape to intertwine with each other. So you’d have to look for specific signs, for gift shops or bathrooms because they blend in well with the themes. 

In just the few minutes it took for the other family to move on, so many more people gathered in the main area around us. It seems as all the kids have gathered on the curbs to watch the show. Bubbles have filled the air, some miraculously making it inside the packed crowd. 

“I bet it’s about to start soon. You were right, we should still be able to see it from here.” She looks so adorable bobbing on her heels.

“Wow, I don’t hear that very often.” She tilted her head, oblivious. “You said that I’m right.”

She rolled her eyes at me while giggling, “You can have it, this time…”

“Why thank you very much,” I tried to pull her in close for a quick kiss when the photographer called us into position. “Give me your stuff, I’ll put it next to her.”

She seemed unsure at first but trusted my judgment. I piled everything into my hands and walked the few feet over to the lady. My heart was pounding in my ears to the point I couldn’t hear anything else. I placed the bags and coffee at her feet, and pulled out my phone like I’ve seen my girlfriend do. 

“Do you have photo pass?” She asked.

“Yup, and hey could you help me out real quick?” She instinctively leaned in to check out my phone.

I looked at my girlfriend, doe eyed waiting for my return. Now’s my chance, fuck I’m scared. I pointed at my phone while lowering my voice; with all the sounds my voice will get drowned out.

“I’m trying to propose to her, can you capture when I do it please? It’s just us here and I really want to moment to be special and documented.”

She nodded, “I would love to make this moment special, I’ll pay attention to the proposal.”

She scanned the code needed to add the photos she takes. My nerves are on edge, it’s set up. It’s just my turn now, I can pop the question. Walking back I tried to give my girl a big smile, but I felt like throwing up. 

My nerves felt disconnected from their endings. I just had to count on my instincts that’ll shell will someday soon be my wife. 

“Are you alright? You look a little pale?”

Oh shoot, that’ll ruin the photos. I need to relax, I need to breathe… I nodded, then wiped my hands on my pants. The small box fit snugly in my pants pocket, I’ve been afraid she’s noticed it but hasn’t.

The music for the parade started and a wave of cheers reached us, it’s time. Elisabeth started trying to hop above the crowd looking for the first character; her impatience is adorable.

I looked back to the photographer to make sure she was ready for us. She gave me a thumbs up, causing an instant lump in my throat.

I looked at the ground for gum or something wet, but its clean. I pulled the box out of my pocket and got down on one knee. 

“Look babe, its Eeyore! Do you see him?” She turned around at the perfect time. The way she looked at that moment was divine. I don’t catch her off guard very often, I feel like I could read her like an open book. I knew with the look in her eye that I wasn’t making a mistake.

“Elisabeth Henning, You are the love of my life. The last few years together have been the best ones of my life, and I desire many more of them. I couldn’t think of any other way to live than to have you beside me till they day I die. I want a hundred more memories like this with you, will you please marry me?”

She was in tears before I finished popping the question. She was trying to wipe the tears away, as cute as that may be. But at least they were happy tears, she couldn’t stop smiling. 

I tried to ignore the crowd clapping around us, that made me suddenly aware how many eyes are on us. I pulled the ring out of the box, trying not to let the pressure crowd me into dropping it. 

By time I could pulled it out, she had her left hand stretched out to me. The middle finger and pinky couldn’t be stretched further apart from her ring finger. She was so waiting for this moment.

“Yes, I will!” The crowd cheered for us, completely ignoring the parade in front of them.

Relief flooded through me, she said yes! I felt my inner child jumping for joy. Of course she said yes it’s the most magical place on earth. 

The ring fit perfectly and somehow made her even more stunning. The giant rock matched her outfit and her personality so well. She didn’t even take the time to admire it, before dropping on the ground to meet me. I slid my hand in her hair, holding the back of her neck and she kissed me.

A few people awed for us, but most of the others attention was back to the parade thankfully. At least this way I get to kiss my fiancée with a bit more privacy…

If you read the entire thing thank you so much for your time, I would love to hear your thoughts.

February 15, 2024 14:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

L J
21:07 Feb 18, 2024

That was very sweet and romantic. However, a few spelling errors were found. "weaving us threw the crowd." is spelled Through. " your so sweet." is spelled you're and "see's" is spelled sees. Just double check spell check before you send. Otherwise, the story is adorable . Loved it and thanks for taking the time to read mine. I always enjoy the comments

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
19:04 Feb 18, 2024

With a crowd of people around. How brave!!! Thanks for liking my 'Alyce’s Restaurant'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stella Aurelius
13:33 Feb 18, 2024

This was adorable, Taylor! Really enjoyed it!

Reply

Taylor Reed
15:44 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
11:07 Feb 18, 2024

OH, boy! It's amazing that proposals actually do take place. So nerve wrecking. Wonderful how we followed his thoughts, doubts and nerves.

Reply

Taylor Reed
15:46 Feb 18, 2024

It's clear he's willing to go through uncomfortable scenarios for his woman, thank you for noticing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.