0 comments

General

It’s September, school is starting up again and I can just feel it. This school year is going to be great. My son is starting kindergarten and the surprise in my belly will make it even better. I can’t wait to share the news with so many. I’m just enjoying life. On top of it, I love my job and I love the school my son attends. First day at work is going so well, all the kids are so happy to see me and I’m so happy to see them. The week goes by so fast, school activities and the smiles on everyone’s faces is just perfect. September goes by so fast, and then October is just as fun. The leaves are changing and the air is so much cooler. Halloween is just around the corner and I can’t wait to see all the kids dressed up. On halloween day we passed a lot of candy to a lot of kids and made sure we had some too. I couldn’t believe how fast time had gone. Soon enough December will be here and the celebrations will start.


December is upon us, just a few work days left and we will be on vacation. Winter vacation meant snowshoeing, sledding and building forts and snowmen. But my favourite part, the part I couldn’t wait for, was to see my family and get together like we always do. Family traditions are fun and special. My grand-mother always made sure we had special little things and great traditions. A few days before Christmas, I received a phone call, my grand-mother wanted to see me. I thought she was calling to talk about Christmas supper, but instead she invited me over. Usually when I go over I bring a cousin or two with me. They don’t always go on their own, so this gives me a chance to bring them and get them to visit. But before I hung up the phone, she told me that I had to come alone. I was a little worried because usually she never mentions it. When I got there, her house was such a big mess. I never saw her house like this, I was very worried. She told me that I could have anything I wanted. I told her I had plenty of stuff and with the new baby coming I didn’t have room for anything else. But like the grand-mother she was, she insisted I take something. It was always they way, I would say no, but she would always give me something anyways. If it wasn’t maple pecan ice cream, it was wagon wheels. It’s just who she was. I knew deep down she was going to give me something. I knew if I picked instead of her, I would pick one thing and only one thing. If I let her pick I would leave with everything she owned. After looking around, I decided to pick a box of plates. One can’t ever have too many plates. After I picked the plates and she gave me some ice cream, I though I was good to go. I walked towards the door and here she came with a big box. I told her I didn’t need anything else, but like always she insisted and I gave in. The box was heavy. The picture was of a pitcher. I really didn’t need this, we only drink milk or water and theirs not much room in our fridge. I told her that I’m sure another family member would be delighted to have this beautiful pitcher but that I really couldn’t take it. Again, she insisted and told me that one day me and my boys would use it and think of her. When I got home, I hid the box in the closet and hoped that one day I could regift it.


January was starting of well, the new year was white and pretty. Another few months and I would finally find out the gender of the baby. We had decided not to find out because we wanted it to be a surprise. A week in the new year and I was back at work for a little tiny stretch. At lunch, I received a call, I thought it was my grand-mother but it was my aunt who called from her house. She told me my grand-mother was ill and we should get ready to say good bye. While I was preparing our lunch, I used the plates she had gave me before Christmas supper. It made me happy to be using these on this day. I knew it would make her happy too, to know that we used them a lot. While I took it out of the closet, I dropped it on the floor, while I was picking up the pieces of the one plate that broke, I saw the box from the pitcher she had gave me. I knew That if she knew it was there that she would want me to take it out. She loved lemonade, so I figured today was the day. As I took out the box and gently took out the beautiful glass pitcher, I saw a little piece of paper at the bottom. It said « dear Lily, when you take this out, please remember how much I loved you and wished I had met your new baby boy. Love Memere. » The next days my grand-mother passed away. I got to see a nice speech and brought some lemonade for everyone. I had a photo of her in the glass pitcher and everyone thought it was lovely.


March came by and it was time for my baby to come. At the hospital, the doctor told me to push and the baby showed his little face. When the doctor told me it was a little boy, I looked at my husband and told him that we were going to name him Gilles. Because every time my grand-mother told me a story as a child the boy in the story always had the name Gilles. I’m really happy I let her give me the pitcher, it was special and meant the world to me.

March 19, 2020 02:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.