0 comments

General

My body grew with anger. Some kid was trying to fight me. He punched, I kicked , he dodged the kick, I throw a punch and it landed. He was on the ground for a little bit. Everyone was chanting my name,“SAM, SAM, SAM.” He was finally getting back up, but I was too distracted because I was showboating. He landed a nasty uppercut, but it didn’t hurt me. I got him back with two right hooks. He was down, and he looked dead, but he was probably knocked out.  

 

Some teachers sprinted over because they heard people screaming . They saw me standing next to the kid I beat up on the ground.“WHAT IS GOING ON!?” said Mrs. D.

 “Nothing much what’s going on with you?'' I said.

 “ SAM, WHY IS HE ON THE GROUND AND NOT MOVING?” said Mrs. D.

“I don’t know, maybe because I knock the stuffing out of him,” I said.

 “OFFICE NOW!” exclaimed Mrs. D.

 “Go to the office now,” I said mockingly.

Mrs. D said, “NOW!”

As I was walking in the hall , I was thinking to myself, maybe they might expel me, or maybe they will be too chicken to try. When I had gotten to the office, Mrs. D and Principal  O'Shaughnessy were already waiting for me.

“Do you know what you did to that kid?'' said Mrs.D.

“What did I do?” I said.

“You broke his nose and gave him a concussion,” said Mrs.D.

“Dang, I didn’t know I hit that hard,’’I sassed.

“This is a serious matter, you could have killed that student,” said Principal O'Shaughnessy.

I said,“The key word is could.”

“Why aren’t you taking this seriously?” said Principal O'Shaughnessy.

“I take this very seriously. Is it a joke to you?” I hissed.

“You know what,” exclaimed Principal O'Shaughnessy, “I’m expelling you.’’ 

“Oh no, please don’t, I’m begging you!” I said sarcastically.“

“Why would you beat up some whose some much smaller than you.?”Your probably ‘6 ‘’6, 250 pounds. And he’s might be five feet.”I said,“He said something about my dad.”

“Do you have a dad?” said Principal O'Shaughnessy.

“No, he makes fun of me for it,’’ I said seriously.

“Thats no way to handle a situation. You should tell an adult,” said Principal O'Shaughnessy.

I told him,“ I ain’t no snitch.” 

“You don’t have to act all tough,” pointed out Principal O'Shaughnessy.

 “It’s ok to tell someone. Since your a big guy you might think that you all tough.”

“It’s very hard for me to express my emotions,” I sobbed, “since my mom works so much, and my dad isn’t around.’’

“Mr. O'Shaughnessy, Sam's mom is waiting for you,” said the secretary.

“OK, send her in,” answered Principle O'Shaughnessy. I was thinking to myself, ‘Oh crap my mom is going to kill me.’ I hope she doesn’t kick me out like she did to my brother.

“What did my son do this time?’’ sighed my mom.

“Well, he fought a kid. He gave that kid a concussion , and a broken nose,” said Principal O'Shaughnessy.

“YOU DID WHAT!?” screamed my mom.

“He said something about dad, so I beat him up,’’ I said.

“You don't even know your daddy. He left us,” said my mom.

“I know, but...” I sputtered.

“Mrs. Innamorato we are going to expel your son,” said Principal O'Shaughnessy.

We were speechless the whole way home. When we got home she told me to pack up my things and leave; to go live on the streets of Atlanta.

 

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

 

I’m starving, I’ve only had a little food in a couple days. Since my mom kicked me out it's been tough. I have asked countless people for money, food , or anything, but I get nothing. People just don't pay attention to me. I remember what it was like seeing people on the street asking for money. I would mess with them, and now some people mess with me. I guess God is giving me what I deserve. Once the rap thing works out, and I will help the homeless. I would give them money and a place to live. I need to find a job. I need food. If I want to help myself and the homeless, first I need to find a job.

 

    I finally got my first job interview. It’s at McDonalds. When I walked in, I asked the person at the cash register, “Where do I go for the interview?”

“Follow me,” she said.  When I walked in, the manager did not look happy. He looked like he wanted to kill someone.

The first question he asked was, “Do you have an education?”

“Wait, I didn’t get your name,'' I said.

“Its Jimmy. Now answer the question.” Jimmy said.

Well, I got expelled, I told him.

“How?!” Jimmy spitted out.

“I was fighting,’’ I said.

“Ok, how were your grades?” Jimmy said.

“They were really bad,” I said.

Jimmy Said.“OK, we’re done here.”

“Ok,” I said.

I had ten other interviews and all of them said no. I had lost all hope.  No one gives me money anymore. I would pray and pray, but I guess God doesn’t want to listen to me anymore. It started to rain really hard that night. I wanted to sleep, but the rain was so roaring. The ground was very moist which made it uncomfortable. 

The next day I couldn’t take it anymore, so I started to run; run as far as I could.  Then I ran into someone with groceries.

“I’m sorry,” I said.

“You good homie?” said the stranger.

“Wait, are you James?” I said.

“Yes,” said James.

I said,“It's me, Sam. I haven’t seen you in a minute. How’s the family.”

“My mom died one month ago, buy my sister is doing well. She go excepted to Ohio state,’’ James said.

“Sorry I couldn’t make the funeral, but that’s cool about your sister,” I said

“Your good, so how's the rap thing?” James proclaimed.

“It's been kind of slow. I don't have money to pay for studio time,” I said.

“That sucks, but beside that, how are you doing?” James said.

“Not so well. My mom kicked me out,” I said.

“Oh my god, that's terrible. What did you do?” James said. 

“I was fighting. I know this is a lot to ask for but can I live with you?” I questioned.

 James said,“Yeah, one hundred percent.”

“Thank you, thank you, thank you! You don't know what this means to me,” I sobbed. God finally heard my prayers. I got on the ground and cried. I couldn’t be happier.

When we got to the house, James said, “I know the house isn’t great , but at least it's a house. I have to go to work now, so do whatever you want. Just don’t break anything.”

“OK,” I said.

What am I going to do? James doesn't really have anything to relieve me of my boredom. He doesn’t have that much food, so I’m just gonna go to bed.

    A couple of days went by and James was out of food, so I decided to steal. I was going to steal some jewelry from the nearby jewelry store and take it straight to the pawn shop. I came up with a plan to steal some quality diamonds in the back of the store and slip out of the window. It had to be a fool proof plan. I went in to the back, found some jewelry that caught my eye, and waited for the guard to leave. When he departed, I broke the glass and grabbed some jewelry but the alarm went off. I tried to open the window but it wouldn’t move. The guards came up to me, and put handcuffs on me. I waited for the police to come and put me in jail forever. They put me in their car. They tried to talk to me, but I wasn’t listening. I was thinking what my mom would do, what James would do. And how am I going to get out of this.

    When I got to Juvie they let me call anyone, so I called my mom, but I didn’t think she was going to pick up. She finally picked up, I told her what had happened, and asked if she could bail me out. She said no, it would be a learning experience. I told her to call James and ask if he could bail me out. She said that she would.

James came in to visit me one day. He said that he would bail me out, but he wouldn’t have any money left. Don't do it, I told him.

The next day someone came into my room and said I was bailed out. I went outside and saw James. I went up to him and hugged him. But little did I know he had a surprise for me.

“James I can’t thank you enough. You saved me,” I told him.

“I’m just doing my thing, James said.

“So where are we going?’’ I suggested.

“I sold the house, so we’re living on the street,”James said.

“Why would you sell the house? You should of let me stay in juvie,” I Informed him.

“You know I can't do that,” James said.

“Yeah, I know,” I spoke.

“Let’s go find some place on the street to live,” James joked.

    I was thinking to myself that the rap thing needs to work out. It's the only option. If it doesn't work out I might be homeless forever.

A couple of days go by and it started to snow. I was rapping to distract myself from the crisp weather. People on the street and people were crowding around me. Someone was walking down the street. He heard me rapping. He came over to me and said, “Kid you got some talent”.

“Thanks,’’ I said.

“Do you not know who I am,” the stranger said.

“No, who are you?’’ I said.

I’m the owner of Def Jam Recording, and my name is Connor,” Connor said.

I screamed “OMG, YOU OWN DEF JAM. I have always wanted to be signed by them.’’

 Connor asked,“How would you like to make a song with us?.”

“YES,YES,YES!” I EXCLAIMED.

“Here’s my card, so call me whenever,” Conner said.

“I don't have a phone. How about if we made a song now?” I replied.

“I’m down,” Connor said.“Can I bring my friend James?” I told him.

“Yeah sure, where is he?” Connor said.

“He’s right next to me,” I said.

“Hi,'' James chimed in.

Connor said, “ before we go I need to do a little christmas shopping. Is that OK with you guys?” 

James and I both said, “Yes.”

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

I went on to make a lot of other songs, but I should’ve stayed in school. The rap career is nice. It would be so much better if my mom loved me. It's cool having money, but the life I live is not the one I want. This is not what I want people to see me as. I want people to look up to me, and I want people to be like me. But what can you do? I messed up; I can't fix that. But hey, look on the bright side. I have donated millions of dollars for the homeless. If I hadn’t become a rapper, a lot of people would be starving, homeless, or even dead. So some good things came from me becoming a rapper.

December 18, 2019 19:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.