1 comment

Friendship Fiction

I am the story teller here to tell a story to my young student Kendall and a bunch of her friends. My name is Gabriella.

Today's story time takes place at our world famous library, where kids and adults take in the magic of books and where the librarians words are words of wisdom.

Kendall my young student of ten loves books and the library. She is just like and all others young and old who loves books. Who doesn't love a good book?

Today I'm taking Kendall and a bunch of her friends to the library for story time. I will be telling Kendall and her friends a story of adventure.

The library is as usual packed. I find a little corner in the back of the library that has enough room for six kids. I have my story ready for when Kendall and her friends get here and speaking of Kendall here she comes with her mother and sister.

I greet Kendall and her mother and tell them about the story. Both mother and daughter are pleased. Kendall's friends are right behind her. I greet them and their mothers as well and also tell them about the story.

Kendall and her friends hug their mothers. I wave goodbye to them. I ask Kendall and her friends "Are you ready for an adventure of a life time?" They all shout yes.

This story is about two siblings who discover something amazing in their back yard.

I see Kendall's eyes and the eyes of the kids sparkle with enthusiasm. This is why I love teaching. I love seeing my students enjoy learning.

This is why I do story time at the library. I randomly pick one student and his/her friends each week and we go to the library. This is how it works. My students write a story, one week they tell me a story and the next week I write a story and I tell them my story.

Last week Mason also one of my students wrote a story and him and his friends told me their story. So, this week it's my turn to tell a story.

I see Kendall and her friends are ready for the story. Here goes. My story is called Madison and Maddie's great adventure.

Maddie and Madison are twin sisters who move from the city to the country. They are somewhat reluctant to move until they see their new home.

A three story home with a big back yard and a pool has Maddie and Madison's eyes growing big. So, many places to go for an adventure.

Maddie and Madison are eager to explore their new home, but of course they have to help mom and dad unpack.

Now who loves to help mom and dad unpack? Kendall and her friends laugh.

When all the unpacking is finished Maddie and Madison go and explore.

First, they went to check their new bedrooms. It's as big as their old rooms.

Maddie and Madison couldn't decide where to go next because their house is so big that is until they hear a noise.

They follow the noise all the way to the back yard and into the shed.

Madison opens the shed and walks in follow by Maddie. Both girls see a light shining. They don't know what to make of it.

Madison walks to the light. Maddie follows. Both girls extend their hand to the light. They touch it and the light engulfs them, and then magically a door opens in the shed.

The girls go to the door. Maddie and Madison follow the light. The light takes them down a set of stairs.

Maddie and Madison follow the light, the light illuminates the room and what Maddie and Madison find in the room takes their breath away.

I watch Kendall and the kids growing anticipation for the next part.

"Who's ready for the big find?"

Kendall and the kids shout together.

Alright here goes.

The light still engulfing Maddie and Madison and the room transport them below the shed, standing in front of the girls is a rocket ship

Maddie and Madison are in shock, amazed, curious. They walk around the rocket ship, then Maddie finds a latch.

Maddie calls Madison, the girls touch the latch and open the door. The girls climb inside the rocket ship.

I ask "What do you think is inside the rocket ship?"

I get so many answers a robot, aliens, space dog, space monkey, space girl or boy. My kids are very creative.

So, when Maddie and Madison get inside the rocket ship, all the buttons and gadgets come to life, then a space girl appears.

She calls herself Nova. Maddie and Madison introduce themselves.

Nova tells the girls to take a seat and buckle up. The rocket ship begins to rise. Maddie and Madison hold tight.

Nova guides the ship up and out of the shed. The engines turn on and up the rocket goes until it reaches outer space.

"Where does the rocket go next?"

Kendall and the kids have no clue.

Maddie and Madison are screaming, their eyes are closed. The rocket stops. Nova tells Maddie and Madison they can open their eyes and they do.

Maddie and Madison are given space suits by Nova. They put them on, then Nova turns off the gravity.

The girls go up and up. Nova smiles and the girls giggle.

After a few minutes of no gravity Nova turns the gravity back on. Maddie and Madison slowly come down.

Nova points to the window. Maddie and Madison look to the window. Nova opens the blinds to a big window and below them is the earth. Maddie and Madison look at the earth.

Maddie and Madison stare in amazement and wonder.

"Ready girls." Nova asks

Maddie and Madison eagerly nod.

"Does Nova take them to the moon or mars for a spacewalk?"

I ask Kendall and her friends.

One shouts the moon. Another shouts mars. Kendall shouts both. Okay here goes.

Nova guides the rocket to the moon. Maddie and Madison wave goodbye to the earth.

Maddie and Madison watches Nova guides the rocket to the moon.

Nova tells the girls to take a seat. Nova guides the rocket to the surface of the moon.

Nova gives the girls specialized space suits to put on. Once Maddie and Madison put the space suits on Nova opens the door.

Madison is the first one out the door, followed by Maddie and Nova.

The girls ran, jumped and picked up moon rocks. They raced to see who can run the quickest and farthest. Maddie won.

After sometime later Nova calls Maddie and Madison over and asks them "Who wants to see something cool?"

Maddie and Madison say "Me."

"What happens next? Anybody?"

Kendall and her friends are silent.

Nova transport Maddie and Madison to mars.

Lights engulf Maddie and Madison once again and boom the girls are on mars.

The girls are stunned. They look all around mars and begin to giggle.

Maddie and Madison begin to run and run. Nova watches in awe. She never knew two human girls can have some much energy

Nova looks at her watch. She has one more adventure for the girls.

Nova transport the girls to the rocket, this time they are not inside the rocket, but outside the rocket.

Maddie and Madison are on their very own spacewalk.

"Wow, this is so beautiful." Maddie says

For the next ten minutes Maddie and Madison walk in space and stare at the earth.

Nova transports the girls back to the rocket.

"You girls had fun."

The girls nod

Nova starts the rocket up. Maddie and Madison take a seat and buckled up.

From the window Maddie and Madison see the earth as they go back home.

"The story Madison and Maddie's great adventure is over."

I look at Kendall and her friends faces. They stand and clap.

I'm happy Kendall and her friends love the story.

One by one the kids leave with their parents.

Goodbye until the next story time.

April 20, 2022 22:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mike Panasitti
21:29 Apr 27, 2022

Melinda, I have read your story as part of the Reedsy critique circle. I must be honest. It was compelling enough for me to finish, but I wish I hadn't. There is virtually no characterization. The plot requires the mind of a six-year-old to appreciate. If this one is any indication of the rest, I'm quite surprised you are still submitting stories after 65 of them. However, one can't say that perseverance is not your strong suit. Keep trying, but only after reviewing basic English grammar and referencing some of the very helpful Reedsy...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.