1 comment

African American Fiction Mystery

The dinner was scheduled for 6:30 Amy had arrived on time. She thought it wrong to eat before her mysterious date appeared so she wiated. She scans the place impressed by the chandelier design . She hadn't known her suspect to be a romantic or classy, because this was the most fancy restaurant she'd ever been. Her waitress walked by with a smile like she was in on the conspiracy but part of her job for the night was to preserve the mystery and deliver a note that was bound by a thin red ribbon with a heart shaped knot in the middle. Amy pulls the ribbon it unfurled slowly and opens a paper, her heart drumming in suspense but there's no writings only the picture of a Bluish sky scraper, without counting she knows it's a fourteen storey building, she knows because she lived there. She turns the photo over in the middle of a swig and through the glass she sees an all caps triple K's. Immediately she forgets how to swallow, the wine rushes into different canals some strolling down her nostrils while a burn circles her head and tears barricade her eyes. She drops the glass and the sound buys the attention of the entire diner, she stares back at the paper but can't see anything now. This is not something one fears in 2020 but the images of her uncle's lifeless stares when she was a kid told her about the worst case scenarios. She never told this to anyone before but it was fear of devils that made her stay on the highest floor, so in event of emergencies she was as close to God and his Angel's as possible so her screams could reach them on time.

  She had known panic before but she never knew he could be this aggressive. She stirs and scans for any threat but she doesn't know how to identify devils hidden behind white smiles. The waiters tries to help her scrub the stain off her dress but she recoils she grabs her purse and makes for the door leaving a few concerned people at her table. shock clearly visible on her face, even over the layers of make up she poured over her face.

  Trying to dail her friend Danny her fingers are a little confused so it takes her longer than usualg, the call goes straight to voicemail and she hangs up and tries again but the response is unchanged . She wished she had Gods phone number because her situation didn't have the time to go through the long queue of people asking for petty things. She's in the street now legs halfway between a sprint and walking. Her shadow does a lazy job at mimicking her legs; it's just a blur. She reaches her left hand into her purse confirming the presence of the tiny knife girls have as an escort for when the Sun's shift ends, her fingers curl around its grip while her index slides off it's sheath.

She stands at the curb and flags down a cab with her right hand while her left hand was held strong on her safety precautions. She only prayed her self defence lessons can work a miracle now.

   A yellow taxi stops at her gesture and the back door pops open to reveal a friendly smile from the driver's seat, the young man asks her destination she attempts a reply only to notice that terror had removed volume from her voice it takes her some time to find the unmute button then she called.  "alex street please ".

  the engine growls and the tyres chase after the destination. She's still turning around throwing stares in all directions in search of this invisible predators whose existence or purpose seems to escape her

The driver sees distress in her face through the rearview mirror but her eyes are focused on nothing in particular outside the window. The sounds of the outside world fade and so does her trembling, she makes the sign of the cross and guilt spills over her mind for she had not been in church for some months. A few minutes later the car pulls to a stop, she was collected now. The cold tarred road welcomes her toes because her shoes are in her hands she pressed some squeezed notes into his palm and waves him to keep the change.

She had gotten the fear out of her walk but a large part of it still formed a lump in her throat so instead of responding verbally to the kids in front of the building she summons a smile that died only seconds after but it's just enough to get her to the door. With quick steps she disappears into the elevator and after a while it spits her up at the top floor. She walks to her door, she fumbled in her purse for her keys they jingle as she finds the right one, she inserts it and twists open and it's dark, she steps in and let's the breath she'd been holding fall into the darkness then she heard footsteps approach from behind her she turns and sees a silhouette with a barrel in it's right hand she tries to scream but there's no sound, her eyes becomes the source of two narrow saltwater creeks racing down her cheek . She hears a pop sound and opens her eyes to find it dark, it was a rollercoaster of nightmares :now she felt hot like she was in hell but. The sound of her name tears her from her delusions, it in Davids voice the lover boy had just opened a bottle of champagne for her, afterall it was her birthday. she's shocked she tries to find words

She mutters "but the note...at the diner"

He respond "K B K, kick back kwei"

She remembers he liked calling her by her last name. So it had been your bad writing all along. Shed been right all along david was not destined to be a romantic ....

July 23, 2021 22:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ethan Scyre
21:42 Jul 28, 2021

Onah, thanks for the story. I really like your description of what appears to be a young woman experiencing a panic attack. I would be interested to know more about why she is so afraid of the KKK and how that interacts with her Catholic faith. Good effort, keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.