47 comments

Romance Coming of Age Science Fiction

After surviving on Mars for five years, we were unrecognisable to the Agency’s search and rescue mission. It’s obvious from reading my diary, we were too busy to notice the incremental changes as they occurred. We’d cultivated the land, adapted to the harsh environment, but then to our cost discovered, ‘You are what you eat’.

* * *

   The day we arrived on Mars, the Space Agency’s cumbersome vessel landed with remarkable precision, despite the fierce wind that greeted us. We herded our livestock and stowed our possessions on the mighty land-cruiser’s lower deck, and trundled across the rocky terrain towards our new home. 

The gated township shimmering in the near distance was surrounded by razor wire and looked like a scrap yard full of metal pyramids, bound by tangled aluminium tubing. It wasn’t what I’d expected and difficult to imagine the confines of this community being the extent of our new kingdom. Given the red planet’s vast, unexplored regions, it was like moving into an enormous mansion and inhabiting a tiny broom cupboard somewhere in the lower basement. 

* * *

   My diary’s first page contained observations about the staggering differences and obvious similarities, and a record of our impressions and reactions. 

   My wife said she felt like the life was being sucked out of her very bones. I recall seeing her anxious face and asking, What’s wrong, Stella? 

   She just frowned and said, Let’s go home, Harlan. 

   Back to Earth? 

   She nodded and said, can you hear that wind?

   Yes, but give it a chance—- 

   It sounds like it’s alive…

   The Martian wind howled, low and wild, especially when the temperature dropped after sunset. That first night, Stella clutched my wrist and shivered whenever the window frames rattled. She said the wind sounded like a gasping, nocturnal predator coming to drink our blood and drain our souls. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, and smiling, kissed her cheek.

* * *

   The subject of going home never went away. Stella’s anxiety remained like an unwelcome guest. I was determined to give it my best shot, but the longer we stayed, the more I wondered about the initial wave of settlers. What happened to those determined souls who'd worked the land and constructed the first houses? Who built our new home and where did they go? We’d been told so little when we bought our tickets to come here.

   One day, Stella said, I feel like a tree struggling in a storm. 

   In what respect? 

   It’s as if that wretched wind is stripping away my leaves, gnawing at my bark and deforming my branches. This planet is for Martians. We’re not wanted here. It’s not for our kind. Let’s go back.

   This is the safest place to be, love.

   Don’t start all that doomsaying, Harlan.

   Mark my words, I said. When those crazy politicians unleash their nuclear arsenals, Mars will be safer than anywhere.

   Safe and insane, probably.

   You’re so cynical, I said. We’ll adjust to the changes. It’ll take a little time. Then we’ll be laughing.

* * *

   It was during the nights when Stella worried the most. The unfamiliar noises unsettled her, and she’d shudder whenever the sand rasped on the windows and the thin outer walls clicked and groaned, contracting in the bitter cold. Stella was convinced the original inhabitants were watching us. Every morning when we ventured out and searched the distant escarpment for movement, she swore there were creatures out there, hiding in the forbidden zone hills. 

   They’re watching us, she’d say. Spying on us.

   There’s nothing out there, sweetheart.

   Believe me, we’re not alone. 

* * *

   My next diary entry was a week later. The news broadcast said London had been destroyed. Europe’s major cities vanished soon afterwards. Then we lost all radio communication with Earth. We were here until our world recovered, maybe longer.

   This is a nightmare, Stella said, burying her head in hands.

   At least we’re alive and together.

   Not even radio contact. She said, sniffing as tears reddened her eyes and stained her face. We’ll never know for sure what—-

   At least we’re spared the horrors, thank God.

   She looked at me as if I were mad. How can you say that?

   We need to keep going, I said, changing the subject. They’ll recover soon enough and send more rockets here. We need to be ready for their arrival.

   That could be years away.

   Five years, perhaps.

   Decades more like.

* * *

   There was nothing for it. We’d have to knuckle down and work the land. We were on the frontier with no way home and no home to return to. They’d warned us about the extreme weather here and recommended a strict regime. We had to plant, nurture and harvest enough crops to sustain us through the first harsh winter. They also advised repairing and maintaining our properties before the ice storms arrived. 

Our safety net had disappeared. 

We no longer had any choice. 

This was our new life.

   I dropped to my knees in the Martian dirt and dug my fingers into the gritty surface. This was all we had to work with. Work the dirt until it gave us life and forget. Forget about Earth for now. Cultivate Mars and forget about the friends and family on Earth. They all had a choice. 

We’d made ours.

* * *

   We’d inherited an irrigation system from the first wave of settlers who’d ventured here. They’d melted the ice caps with thermonuclear devices and channelled the rushing flood waters along parched riverbeds and into gigantic subterranean reservoirs. 

   It was early summer when I noticed our first crops started emerging. They were robust and wholesome, but not what we’d expected. The vegetables were larger than normal, misshaped and the colours distorted. The carrots weren’t orange, more scarlet, like bell peppers. Our potatoes were pinkish, and the cabbages had a vermillion tinge. They tasted similar but different somehow. Not the same. Our livestock didn’t question the lush fuchsia-coloured meadows, however, I noticed they’d developed growths on their heads. Lumps that were firm and gnarled. Our two pigs were growing tusks and horns, and the goat was developing a hump like a camel.

   We can’t eat this food, said Stella, eyes wide and covering her mouth. It’s poisoned!

   No, it’s not. I said, rolling my eyes. You’re imagining it.

   Look! she said. Even our house has changed. 

   Now that is crazy.

   But she wasn’t wrong. The persistent wind had warped the building’s structure, and skewed it to one side like an ancient tree on open moorland, inclined and contorted after constant exposure to the prevailing elements.

* * *

   It was at the end of summer when Stella approached me with a hand mirror. I was tending to our crops when she got my attention, brandishing it in my face. 

   Didn’t your eyes used to be dark blue, Harlan?

   Why? I asked, noticing her trembling hand. 

   She handed me the vanity mirror and I gasped. Sure enough. She was right. My irises were light grey with silver flecks. 

   That’s a trick of the light, I said, frowning at my reflection.

   Damn you! she said, snatching back the mirror. I’m eating nothing else from here.

   But we’ve no choice.

   We’ve frozen supplies, dried produce and emergency rations.

   We need those in case of an—-

   This is an emergency.

   It’s fine, trust me.

* * *

   Lying in bed at the start of our first long winter together, it occurred to me we should hibernate. I heard my wife’s gentle breathing and watched the gentle rise and fall of her chest, marvelling at her smooth complexion, flawless and gleaming in the starlight. Her skin had a silver sheen and reflected the specular light from heavenly constellations, twinkling through our quadruple-glazed skylight. 

   The next morning, I noticed my face in the bathroom mirror. My features had taken on a youthful appearance; no more bags under my eyes and sagging jowls. Stella’s given up looking at herself since her hair started falling out. Mine disappeared a fortnight ago and I don’t miss it. It saves time, not having to shave every day. 

* * *

   My diary entries became quite sporadic during the depths of winter. They no longer appeared daily and my comments all but halted. We retired to our cosy nest and dozed our way through that icy cold period, clinging onto each other for warmth under our arctic quilt. The shocking change in temperature had affected our metabolisms and closed down our body functions to a bare minimum. Our heartbeats slowed to a trickle of gentle thuds, like cold-blooded reptiles.

   When the daylight returned and days grew longer, we stumbled back onto our feet and noticed other obvious changes. Our limbs had lengthened, and we’d both lost weight. My wife was lean, like a gymnast, and I’d shed over fifty pounds. 

* * *

   I struggled to remember how Stella appeared before our deep slumbers. I know she’d looked concerned; beady eyed and tight-lipped. Now her deep worry lines had vanished, too. My wife looked ethereal, even angelic. 

   We knew the scorching summer would wear us down again, and we packed a few belongings in readiness for our summer retreat to the hills of the forbidden zone and its lofty, cool breezes.

* * *

   It was instinctive and obvious to migrate up the distant hill range and remain there for the summer. There were buildings we’d discovered on discarded maps in contradiction to what we’d been told. The authorities had insisted we remain in situ until the third wave of settlers arrived so that we could greet them. However, we’d discovered beautiful adobe dwellings that needed redecorating and renovation work.    

   Life here had taken on a slower pace. There was no hurry and no one to hurry us. Every moment hung in the air like a fragrance that was both pleasing and beguiling. There was a harmonious balance to our existence that we never thought possible. Holding hands, we walked together along the elevated rocky trails, enjoyed refreshing gusts of mountain air, and marvelled at our slender silver bodies reflecting the shimmering sunlight.

   It was surprising how little we carried to our new location, compared to the vast collection we brought with us from Earth. We no longer required many personal possessions because we had each other. We’d found our flow, and that was sufficient for a peaceful existence.

* * *

   Five years have passed since we first arrived on Mars. My regular diary entries petered out a year ago, except for occasional remarks. I’d noted an unusual meteor shower, described last spring’s endless sand storm, and wondered whether Earth had survived its nuclear winter. We’d lost contact with Mission Control after hearing the awful news that first summer, and feared our compatriots wouldn’t contact us ever again. So, it was a complete surprise to witness a fleet of interplanetary transporters swoop through the thin atmosphere, bearing Space Agency logos.

   We watched them touch down near our former township, disembark and search all the deserted buildings. They broadened their search into the hills of the forbidden zone, sending out reconnaissance parties to determine our whereabouts and locate any survivors from that second mission.

* * * 

   We made our presence known, and they treated us like strangers, assuming we couldn’t understand their language. I admit, our speech had atrophied into guttural hisses and vocal clicks, and we communicated through their interpreters. However, it was peculiar to overhear them discussing us, as if we weren’t human. 

   “We’ve encountered native life in the hills, Captain. They’re cooperative and understand English if we speak slowly.”

   “Did they say what happened to the second wave of settlers, Sergeant?”

   “They don’t have a clue or won’t admit to knowing, sir.”

   “Do you suspect foul play or a contagion?”

   “We should consider a policy of isolation, sir.”

   “Agreed, Sergeant. However, we’ve our orders too.”

   “Of course, sir. We’ll head back down to base immediately.”

   “First things first, Sergeant. Make sure your men get a square meal.”

   “We discovered some funny-looking pork steaks which we---”

   “Needs must, Sergeant. We can’t tame the planet on fresh air alone.”

   “Consider it done, sir.”   

   “Oh, and, Sergeant.”

   “Sir?”

   “Dispose of the natives as required.”

   “Very good, sir.”


The End











April 27, 2024 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

Ken Cartisano
06:55 May 05, 2024

Wow, what a story. This is like free-basing the Martian Chronicles--on reverb, with five-foot Marshall amps. (Trust me, it's a good thing.) It really has it all, and the strategy of using a married couple was brilliant, presenting conflicting reactions. Not sure wat POV this is called, but it was perfect to confer the changes they experienced. The howling wind, paranoia and misshapen shelter were subtle foreshadowing of the greater changes to come. Excellent story, Howard. A real pleasure to read. Great job.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:10 May 06, 2024

Hey Ken, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. Your enthusiastic reaction was a bit of a surprise, but in a good way. I’m glad you enjoyed it so much, trust it provides much food for thought and hope you’ll return to read my future submissions…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Ken Cartisano
22:37 May 06, 2024

Are you kidding HH? HY. Hell Yeah.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:51 May 06, 2024

Cool…. You’re welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hope Linter
01:25 May 03, 2024

For me this was well written. I like how the characters slowly changed form. The ending twist was well done. Who would've known their ultimate enemy would be other humans.

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:04 May 03, 2024

Hey Hope, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you enjoyed it and pleased the ending came as a surprise. It’s an enormous relief when an idea comes to life and ‘works’. Anyhow, if it raises a few questions and acts as a talking point, that’s more than I could have hoped for….. So, hopefully it’ll linger a while. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cade Barnett
16:09 May 02, 2024

That was fantastic. I'm a little surprised there wasn't anybody else on Mars at all, like they were the only people that had migrated there. But OH MY GOD THAT ENDING! What a twist! I loved every minute.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:17 May 03, 2024

Hey Cade, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed and take the point about the lack of interaction with other pioneers on the Martian trail; they seem somewhat isolated and I think that aspect could be improved somewhat. Maybe in a longer version there’d be room to compare and contrast how other couples coped with their transformations and changes. Maybe another time….? Take care HH :)

Reply

Cade Barnett
15:54 May 03, 2024

I think it would make a great novel. Your world is so vivid and I'd love to explore it more.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:02 May 03, 2024

Hey Cade, You know what? Maybe I’ll think it over and give it go…. You never know what might occur until you try :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sherri Moorer
15:29 May 02, 2024

An excellent story. I love stories about Mars and this one didn't disappoint. Very descriptive and enthralling. Well done!

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:09 May 03, 2024

Hey Sherri, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m pleased you liked my Martian tale and relieved it didn’t disappoint…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:40 May 01, 2024

Hi Howard, A few notes for you: After surviving on Mars for five years, we were unrecognisable to the Agency’s search and rescue mission. - Wonderful opening line, sets the scene, raises immediate concern for the characters - almost a twist within one sentence - brilliant. She said the wind sounded like a gasping, nocturnal predator coming to drink our blood and drain our souls. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder, and smiling, kissed her cheek. - I love the dramatic concerns of the wife being met with such casual dismissiveness. They...

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:39 May 01, 2024

Hey Katharine, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your notes. I’m pleased it made such a strong impression and elicited such a variety of emotions, but that’s the joy of satire; the comedy belies the sad truth, while making serious comments that emerge in retrospect. I’m more than happy to read it will provide ‘food for thought’, that’s more than I could hope for. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:22 May 01, 2024

Totally chilling. There's no place like home. Our beautiful blue jewel in the Solar system. Human's want to destroy or kill everything they don't understand. Are they capable of destroying our planet. Yes. Great Sci Fi story here. Loved it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:40 May 01, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I totally agree with your assessment; as a species, we are blind to our privileged position in the universe and so undeserving of our home planet. I mean, what other creature treats its house like a garbage bin? And if we think we can walk away the Earth and exploit some other planet, I’m afraid, we’re sadly deluded. It’s such a shame that all the tech billionaires don’t get together and do something positive to repair all the damage inflicted on our world, instead of st...

Reply

09:00 May 01, 2024

We all owe it to our planet home, the animal kingdom, and each other to do what we can to help the situation. Ultimately, God will ruin those 'who are ruining the earth' (this is before the ruination, and not after) by means of his kingdom, the one we pray for in the Our Father prayer. It will bring about God's will for this earth. Mankind in general, are too greedy and shortsighted to do this. Then we will all have a chance to repair all the damage that has been inflicted - as you say.

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:50 May 01, 2024

Certainly, current events appear to be reaching a tipping point. One wonders how much more can happen before the situation implodes and a catastrophic chain reaction occurs….

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
06:47 May 01, 2024

Loved it Howard. Caught my attention from beginning to end. Well written and imaginative.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:11 May 01, 2024

Hey Stevie, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I know SciFi isn’t everyone’s cup-of-tea, so I’m pleased to get some positive feedback. Take care HH

Reply

Stevie Burges
08:52 May 01, 2024

I thought it was really good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:26 Apr 30, 2024

This reminds me of Ray Bradbury the' The Martian Chronicles' Stepping away from earth turns humans into better versions of themselves, closer to the nature of Mars, and so humans want to kill them ;( Thanks, and good luck in the contest!

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:43 Apr 30, 2024

Hey Marty, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your feedback; I’ll have to check Ray Bradbury’s Martian Chronicles…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Moore
19:50 Apr 29, 2024

I don't know what Stella's problem is, seemed ok to me, up until the end of course. 😄 Great story, I liked the concept, something very unsettling about it👍

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:24 Apr 29, 2024

Hey James, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m pleased that you enjoyed my unsettling yarn and hope you’ll return to check more of my tales….. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:04 Apr 28, 2024

To write a story like this seems a risky venture (entering another unknown planet) and yet it worked so well. You made the new world on Mars believable. I would be like the character of Stella in this situation. I liked the skilful way you took the reader on a journey of discovery and showed how the couple adapted in a typically human way. How horribly human and destructive the ending was too. Also, very likely outcome. I like this foray into sci fi. It was very believable.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:57 Apr 28, 2024

Hey Helen, Thank you for taking the time to read my latest offering and share your feedback. I’m relieved it seemed believable and you enjoyed it; Sci-Fi isn’t everyone’s cup-of-tea so I’m glad it worked. I suppose, the key is to create memorable characters and build a situation that the reader can understand in order to create empathy, after that’s achieved then the madness can commence…. Take care HH

Reply

Helen A Smith
06:45 Apr 29, 2024

I’m the kind of person who likes sci fi if it’s written well and relatable which this is. If it’s too obscure, then I’d be lost. You touched on enough to please people who are more into sci fi too. I would like to attempt it, but it requires so much work (for me) and there’s not enough hours in the day.

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:58 Apr 29, 2024

Hi Helen, I think it’s worth attempting unfamiliar genres, if only for the experience and, I know, when I’ve thrown myself into the task, it’s been rewarding in unexpected ways; maybe I tried a new structure or had to research areas I’d never normally consider. I guess it introduces an element of serendipity into my writing process and that’s healthy in the long run, if only because I might discover something new that I can allude to later in another project. Just a thought…. :)

Reply

Helen A Smith
07:01 Apr 29, 2024

Yes. It’s great to do. Only attempted it once here. Had to constantly ask my friend who is massively into sci fi for advice. Just took me even longer than usual to write it!!! That is a long time.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:40 Apr 29, 2024

That’ll be really tricky with such a tight deadline…. But maybe a useful challenge? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:35 Apr 28, 2024

And then we are angry at Alliens for doing the same thing? What a idiot that Captain. Nice story, Howard. I like it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:48 Apr 28, 2024

Hey Darvico, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts and reactions. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope you’ll return to read more of my submissions…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:03 Apr 27, 2024

What! Dispose of the natives!!! How stupid can they be???I mean the new arrivals.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:16 Apr 27, 2024

‘Dumb is as dumb does’, or some such :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:26 Apr 27, 2024

I must admit if I were Stella (ha !), I'd have left a long time when your MC kept bulldozing her concerns. Anyway, great job, Splendid use of descriptions. The flow was lovely too. Amazing job.

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:54 Apr 27, 2024

Hey Stella, Thank you for the positive feedback; it’s much appreciated. I was going to call my story, ‘Stella by Starlight’, however I’m not sure whether that has any particular resonance anymore. What do you reckon? And, ‘Yes’, if ever there was a good case of following one’s instincts, then Harlan and Stella should’ve departed on the return flight home, but then they’d have missed their romantic walks in the Martian hills and a few precious years of peace….. so maybe, who knows? Take care HH

Reply

Alexis Araneta
19:20 Apr 27, 2024

I love jazz music, so it most certainly rings a bell to me. Not sure about others, though. Hahahaha !

Reply

Howard Halsall
20:47 Apr 27, 2024

It’s got to be Ella Fitzgerald’s version, wouldn’t you agree?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
21:56 Apr 27, 2024

I'm a Sarah Vaughan fan girl forever. I'm sorry. Hahahaha !

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:15 Apr 27, 2024

Yes, of course, Sarah’s version from’62 is magical. Now that’s a voice and a half :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yuliya Borodina
07:04 Apr 27, 2024

I was intrigued and apprehensive the entire time. A very engaging read! Well done!!!

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:49 Apr 27, 2024

Hey Yuliya, Thanks for reading my story and sharing your positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope you’ll return to read more of my submissions :)

Reply

Yuliya Borodina
10:16 Apr 27, 2024

I certainly will. Good luck with the contest!

Reply

Howard Halsall
12:34 Apr 27, 2024

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
04:31 Apr 27, 2024

Howard, a masterpiece. Where does your mind go? How do you manage to transform humans to unrecognizable "natives" in five years? Well worth staying up for. :-)

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:53 Apr 27, 2024

Hey Trudy, Thanks for reading my latest tale. I'm pleased you enjoyed it and relieved it was worth staying up for where ever you are... take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.