Simple Serenity

Submitted into Contest #233 in response to: Set your story in a bar that doesn’t serve alcohol.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Sad Speculative

“Simple Serenity”

The Allure of an Oasis in the Chaos

In the heart of a bustling city that never sleeps, there's this little gem named 'Serenity'. Tucked away in an alley less traveled, it's like a beacon of warmth in the cool night. Swing open its door, and you're wrapped in a cocoon of soft tunes and hushed, comforting chatter. It's like stepping into a bubble where the world outside just pauses for a bit.

Take Evelyn, for example. One evening, she just kind of stumbled into Serenity. Her mind was doing somersaults with all the deadlines and corporate drama. The contrast was, you know, like night and day. The chaos of her life versus the Zen of Serenity. It was her little pocket of air in a suffocating city.

Then there’s Liam. The guy had his dreams all bunched up in his backpack, like crumpled paper. Serenity was his escape, a place where his music and doodles didn't have to shout to be noticed. It was like Serenity just got him, you know?

And let’s not forget Doris. Her life used to be a symphony of kids' laughter. Now? More like a library during finals. But in Serenity, she found chatter and smiles, kind of a salve for her lonely heart.

Regulars of Serenity

Evelyn would park herself at the bar, all stiff and wound up. But give it a few hours, and she’d start to unwind, like a clock slowly losing its tension. Here, she wasn’t 'Evelyn the Exec'. She was just Evelyn.

Liam, he’d be in his corner, sketching under a dim light. Folks would peek over his shoulder, giving him nods that said, "Hey, nice work." Here, his art wasn’t about price tags; it was about soul.

Doris? She’d be at her table, book in hand, but always ready with a smile for anyone who caught her eye. It was those little moments that gave her a sense of, I dunno, belonging that she’d been missing.

Serenity wasn’t just a bar. It was like a healing balm for Evelyn, Liam, and Doris. A place where they could stitch themselves back together, at least for a little while.

The Unraveling Mystery of Serenity

The weeks flew by, and Serenity’s charm just grew. But so did this... sense of weirdness. Evelyn, Liam, and Doris started noticing things. Conversations around them were a little too on-the-nose with their personal stuff. The music? Always seemed to play their mood.

Evelyn overheard a chat that mirrored her recent office showdown. Coincidence? Maybe, but it left her wondering.

Liam showed his art to Jasmine, and her comments were uncannily spot-on. It was like she had a window into his soul.

And Doris. She found a kindred spirit in Thomas, another regular. Their talks always veered towards life and regrets – hitting too close to home.

The big reveal came when they found a ledger, like a misplaced puzzle piece. It had notes on them – names, personal stuff, observations. That's when the penny dropped. Serenity was more than a bar; it was a staged therapy gig, a social experiment cooked up by Marco, the therapist-turned-bartender.

The Veil Lifts

This revelation hit them hard. Betrayal, confusion, vulnerability – it was all there. Evelyn felt naked, her safe space turned into a theater. Liam’s trust crumbled; his art and thoughts were just lab rats in this experiment. Doris? She felt like her private conversations were just therapy sessions in disguise.

They confronted Marco. He tried to explain – this was meant to be healing without the therapy label. But good intentions don’t really wash away the sting of deceit.

That night, they left Serenity, their heads spinning. The sanctuary they loved now felt like a mirage.

The Aftermath of Serenity’s Closure

Weeks later, Serenity shut down. For its regulars, especially our trio, it was like losing a piece of themselves. They had become emotionally dependent on this place, and now it was gone.

Evelyn’s work suffered. The balance she thought she had found at Serenity? Gone. She also realized how much cash she’d been burning there.

Liam’s art, once his outlet, now felt contaminated. Trusting anyone with his work seemed like a bad joke. Financially, he was in a ditch, having played for drinks instead of cash.

And Doris, she just retreated back into her shell. The community she found in Serenity was no more, and her loneliness hit back with a vengeance.

Turning the Page – Life After Serenity

So, the curtain falls on our story with each character piecing back their lives in a Serenity-less world. It’s a bit of a gray-skies ending, really. Kinda makes you think about the pitfalls of leaning too much on something or someone else, and the value of building your own emotional toolkit.

Journeys of Self-Rediscovery

Fast forward two years. Serenity? Now it’s just a chapter in the memory book, one that’s taught our friends a thing or two.

Evelyn’s New Chapter

She rolled up her sleeves and tackled her money issues head-on, slowly filling up her piggy bank again. At work, she started drawing lines in the sand – no more blending of work and personal life. And guess what? She found her zen in yoga and spilled her thoughts in journals, steering her own ship.

Liam’s Artistic Renaissance

The whole Serenity fiasco? Sure, it stung like a bee. But it got Liam thinking differently about his art and who to trust. He dipped his toes into local art scenes, making real connections, getting nods for his work. His tunes and paintings, once just for him, started popping up in cozy cafes and galleries, hitting the right notes with more and more folks.

Doris’ Journey to Fulfillment

Doris turned the page on her loneliness, filling her days with stuff that mattered. She got back to teaching, volunteering at a school, and you could tell it reignited something in her. Plus, she joined a book club – real talk, real friendships. She finally found her crowd.

As they wandered down their own paths, Evelyn, Liam, and Doris didn’t just carry memories of Serenity. They took away life lessons. Sure, Serenity’s end was a bummer, but it kindled a fire in them – a drive for self-growth, for finding strength inside, and for forging real, down-to-earth connections out in the big wide world.

January 18, 2024 13:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.