Beneath the Shadow of Wind

Submitted into Contest #235 in response to: Write about a character who suddenly cannot run anymore.... view prompt

2 comments

Contemporary Inspirational Fiction

Raindrops lashed against the window, mirroring the storm brewing inside Elias. His once-gleaming running shoes lay abandoned by the door, a stark reminder of the cruel twist fate had dealt him. A few months ago, Elias was a blur of motion on the track, a symphony of wind and pounding feet. Now, his legs felt like leaden weights, his breath a ragged wheeze.

Elias, a man carved from the wind, his lungs accustomed to the rhythmic song of his own strides, woke up one morning to a chilling silence. Not the quiet of a snowfall nor the hush of a starlit meadow, but the deafening absence of his pounding feet against the earth. He tried to rise, legs phantom limbs refusing to obey the familiar command. Panic, a cold serpent, coiled around his heart. He felt panic as he tried so hard to get out of bed.

He'd always been the runner, chasing sunrises and outran storms. His legs, lean and corded with muscle, were instruments of freedom, carrying him across whispering fields and over sun-baked hills. Now, they were leaden anchors, chained to a body that felt alien.

It had started subtly, a persistent ache in his calves. Dismissing it as fatigue, he'd pushed harder, the pain searing. Then came the stumbles, the labored breaths, the crushing realization that his body was betraying him. Elias finally gave up, and his wife helped him to the doctor's office. 

All the tests, including the electromyography (EMG), nerve conduction studies, and blood, were taken to be tested. Urine and Muscle biopsy, then the wait seemed like it took years. But it was only just 3 weeks.

The diagnosis was a gut punch - a rare neuromuscular disease stealing his strength with each passing day.

The doctor's diagnosis came like a hammer blow: ALS, a thief in the night stealing his very essence. The doctor's words, sterile and clinical, couldn't drown out the keening in his soul. All Elias could think of was No more chasing horizons, feeling the wind whip through his hair, and tasting the sweet ache of exertion.

Elias, the man who measured his life in miles, his triumphs in finish lines, was adrift in a sea of uncertainty.

Days bled into weeks, the once vibrant world muted to a tapestry of grays. Elias, the man who'd danced with the wind, was now a captive in his own body. Despair, a venomous vine, threatened to choke him. 

 He was confined to the sidelines, watching life race past like a blurry film. He mourned the loss of his freedom, the exhilaration of pushing his limits, and the camaraderie of the running community that he loves so much. Now, all he had was the silence of his mornings, which was deafening, the absence of his rhythmic footsteps a gaping hole in his routine.

The initial shock had been a maelstrom, a churning sea of disbelief and anger. Why him? Why now? The questions echoed in the hollow chamber of his being, unanswered and agonizing. He retreated into himself, withdrawing from the world that had once embraced him. Once a source of strength, the camaraderie of the running community now felt like a painful reminder of what he'd lost. Social gatherings, once a source of joy, became exhausting ordeals, the forced smiles a mask for the hollowness within. Grappled with a grief he couldn't fully comprehend, a mourning for the life he'd known, the future he'd envisioned.

Sleep became a temporary refuge from the harsh reality that awaited him upon waking. His days were shrouded in a leaden fog, the once vibrant colors of his world now muted and gray. Getting out of bed felt like scaling a mountain, each step a monumental effort.

His reflection in the mirror became a stranger, a gaunt figure with haunted eyes. The man who had defied limitations and pushed his body and mind to their edge was now a prisoner in his own flesh. The gnawing self-doubt whispered in his ear, a serpent coiled around his spirit. Was he weak? Was this all he was now?

##

A few weeks passed, and Elias awoke to the gentle scent of coffee and pancakes wafting through the air. Sunlight kissed his eyelids, starkly contrasting the darkness that had shrouded his dreams. He found Sarah, his wife, perched on the edge of the bed, her eyes warm with concern.

"Morning, sleepyhead," she whispered, her voice laced with honey. "I made your favorites."

Elias managed a faint smile, the corners of his lips turning upwards like wilting flowers reaching for the sun. The aroma of breakfast, once a joyous invitation, now felt like a daunting mountain to climb.

I know it's hard," Sarah said, her hand finding him gently. "But you can't stay locked in here forever, darling. The world still needs your smile, your laugh, even if it's just a little spark at first."

His children, Leo and Lily, burst into the room, their chatter like a flock of sparrows breaking the silence. They clambered onto the bed, showering him with messy hugs and enthusiastic questions about his day. Their innocent joy, a mirror of his own past self, pierced through the fog of his depression.

"Dad, can we go to the park today?" Leo asked, his eyes sparkling with anticipation. "You promised to teach me how to fly a kite!"

Lily chimed in, her tiny hand tracing patterns on his arm. "And can we have ice cream after? My favorite kind, with the rainbow sprinkles?"

Elias felt a tremor in his chest, a flicker of the man he used to be. He couldn't bear to see the disappointment cloud their faces if he refused.

"Okay," he croaked, his voice rusty from disuse. "We'll go to the park. And maybe... just maybe, I'll even manage a little flying myself."

A cheer erupted, the sound washing over him like a cleansing wave. Sarah's eyes shone with unshed tears, her smile a beacon of hope. This wasn't about running anymore, he realized. It was about taking small steps, finding joy in everyday moments, and letting his family be the wind beneath his wings.

The park, once a stage for his athletic conquests, became a new kind of battlefield. The walk to the field felt like a marathon, his breath hitching, his legs heavy. But with each step, he leaned on Sarah's arm, drawing strength from her unwavering support.

Leo's clumsy attempts at kite-flying elicited a chuckle from Elias, the sound foreign to his own ears yet strangely comforting. Lily's sticky ice cream fingers intertwined with his, a tangible reminder of the love that anchored him to the world.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows on the grass, Elias felt a fragile sense of peace settle over him. He still carried the weight of his diagnosis, the uncertainty of his future a looming storm cloud. But in the light of his family's love, he had found a spark of hope, a reason to keep moving forward.

He knew the road ahead would be challenging. There would be days when the darkness threatened to engulf him again. But he also knew that with each sunrise, he would have his family by his side, their love a guiding light on his path to rediscovering himself, not in the competitive sprint of the past but in the steady rhythm of a new journey of resilience, love, and finding joy in the simple act of being.

The running track remained a silent sentinel, symbolizing what was lost and a reminder of his resilience. He visited it often, not as a defeated warrior but as a man rediscovering himself. He'd sit on the bleachers until he could not walk, then Sarah would wheel Elais in a wheelchair, the wind whispering through the trees; both would imagine him running again, not in the physical realm, but in the boundless landscape of his spirit.

Elias knew the disease would progress to where he would never run again, but he learned to fly in his mind. He discovered that strength comes in many forms and that there is always a flicker of hope, even when the path ahead is shrouded in darkness. He did it, one step at a time, his spirit as indomitable as the wind that once carried him on his wings.

January 26, 2024 19:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Gail Ormsby
14:47 Feb 12, 2024

As a retired hospice nurse, I had patients with ALS, and I witnessed firsthand their struggles. So I put myself in what their struggles were.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Song
04:25 Feb 11, 2024

Such vivid prose. What is your process like for writing such realistic imagery? It's captivating.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.