0 comments

Adventure

" To get a better inspection rating, we should conduct 24 customer relationship programmes during this year. Are we all ready to do that?

   Mr.Sadasivam, one of the Top executives of a prestigious Bank, in command of the southern Zone, has put it on the table.

   Mr Sadasivam, a tall and bulky man with broad and hefty shoulders, said the above with a serious note. He was a cheery person and always maintained cool postures even when he was experiencing personal difficulties and discomforts. But he would be more concerned with his official responsibility and conscious of the portrayal of his personality and position. 

   The participants, all senior officials, each in control of a region with 50 or 60 branches and also a few large branches under the direct control of DGM in the meeting knew that their branches have done very badly in getting a good rating which has affected the overall rating of the zone. They also knew that if this trend continued their zone's position and resultant respect for them in the bank would be seriously jeopardized. 

   " But sir....." One official representing a region rose to say something.

   " No ifs and buts. You all know the cause for concern and we can't afford to allow it to worsen. I expect all my 260 branches to do and get excellent ratings because it is my staff of life"

  Poetically but Emphatically the DGM conveyed his priority in clear terms.

  " However you can offer your suggestions on the ways to win the race, at a fast pace, with ease and peace"

  Again he has unloaded another tranche in poetic diction.

   Attending and participating in his monthly, quarterly, half-yearly, annual and other sporadic meetings for specific purposes would always be us enjoyable experience for the participants. They also would, sometimes, be fiery and ferocious when the goings got tough. 

  The officials were discussing among themselves their plight and predicament. Their worries were understandable, but the pressure applied by the top 'layer' in the organisational 'structure' would always be too much for the persons in the middle and lower strata. 

  " We are all up to our ears, sir." said another one of them. 

   " I know. But we have to bite the bullet. Just put your best foot forward" replied DGM

  Even Holding 2 or 3 programmes a year was found to be challenging and for larger branches, it would be all the more difficult. Maybe to call it a herculean task will be more appropriate. 

  "Sir, I have a suggestion, rather a doubt. In my region, we have a problem. There are two or more branches located in their close vicinity and their service area will be overlapping. Moreover, some branches are small with limited activities and scope. If we have to conduct this many programs it would be ineffective and also difficult " the official said. 

  " So.. " asked the DGM.

  " So, if we can club the nearby branches doing homogeneous business for the limited purpose of holding the customer relationship programs, this problem could be solved. "

  " Very Good suggestion! We can also save a lot of money in this process" the DGM acclaimed and appreciated the official.

  " Any other suggestions?" the DGM asked. 

  " I have one sir. Can I..? " asked another official seeking permission to offer his suggestion. The DGM nodded his head and permitted him to go ahead.

  " I think we can structure the meetings in such a way to focus on different products and services of the Bank and discuss in the meetings" the official said.

  " Yes. It will give meaning to the meeting" said DGM.

  " Sir"

  I heard another sound from the right corner of the meeting hall.

  " Yes. I think somebody wants to say something. He can proceed" said DGM.

  " It is me, sir. I have another suggestion. A small entertainment program may also be included towards the end of the meeting with professional entertainers" the official said.

  " Yes. This will add value to the meeting and amuse the customers. This will remove the monotony and fatigue. Nice idea! " Said DGM

  " Anything else, " the DGM asked.

  " Sir, one last but not least item, in fact, a costly item for many branches. The expenses for...." 

  Before the official could finish, the DGM intervened and said,

  " I know what you are going to say next. The respective branches only have to meet the cost. Okay?"

    " But the zonal office will take the credit if we struggle and achieve" a few officials were talking among themselves in a low tone. 

  " Sir, It may be okay for the profit-making branches, but for other branches, it will be more burdensome and they will find it difficult to make both ends meet"

  " In that case, I will take their burdens off. Our Zonal office will pay the cost of meetings conducted by loss-incurring branches. Okay? "

  The officials have agreed half-heartedly. Conducting customer relations programs was not given importance earlier because the officials had to do lot many things inside the bank during working hours and also many hours beyond that.

  Moreover, there were no people conversant with doing such work which required methodical preparation and implementation. It required a lot of time with suitable extra manpower having experience and expertise in executing such tasks.

  They were all sceptical about conducting 24 meetings in a year when only four or five meetings were the norm during that time.

  When everybody was doubtful about their efficiency and effectiveness in achieving the given target, one official among them took the call of DGM very seriously and started preparing the ground for achieving the target. He thought that the task may be difficult but it will not be impossible. However, he has to work very hard, he thought.   

   He was the senior Manager of one of the large branches which was 150 years old situated near the harbour of the town and also known for pearl harvesting. This branch was under the direct control of DGM with more than 100 staff, 

   On returning to the branch after the meeting, the senior Manager called and discussed with his 4 divisional managers about the target given and invited suggestions to complete the mammoth task. Everybody took an active part in the deliberation and offered their suggestions to do it easily and effectively.

  Finally, they have prepared a detailed plan and process chart for implementation. As per the plan, the four managers were asked to identify the different segments of the customers in their divisions and prepare the list of invitees to attend the customer relations programmes.

  They were also asked to avoid repeated participation by a few customers and devise suitable subjects for presentation avoiding repetition. Each Manager was asked to conduct one meeting at two months intervals ensuring no more than two meetings overall in a month.  

  An officer, who is well-versed and capable of holding such programs was identified and entrusted with the job of assisting the managers and providing other support services for conducting the meetings.  

   Thereafter a chart with 24 dates spread over one year with the full details of venue, date, time and refreshments was prepared and a copy of the chart was given to all concerned. A photographer was also enlisted for documentation of the proceedings, which is required for presentation to the rating officials.    

    The Senior Manager, with the help of his assistant, has ensured all infrastructure and amenities to the teams and monitored the progress.

    Everything went on as planned they were able to complete the task of conducting 24 meetings within the allotted period of 12 months.

    On the D day, the rating team has arrived. During auditing the details of customer relationship programs conducted, the album containing the photos taken during such meetings was given to them for perusal. 

  The officials from the rating team opened the album and became speechless. The Senior Manager smiled at the dumbfounded look on their face as their eyes widened and their mouths fell slack.    

The rating team has not only given full marks for the customer relations segment but also made a special mention in their report on the sparkle of enthusiasm shown by everybody in the accomplishment of the task. 

  The next day, the DGM arrived at the branch with the inspection report.

He asked the Senior Manager to arrange for a party and requested all staff to gather in the Banking Hall.

Everybody gathered and the DGM gave a brief customary speech and opened the cover containing the inspection report and branch rating sheet.

  " Excellent" he said and after a gap of 10 seconds, again said, " Excellent. Yes. This is the rating"

  The DGM complimented and showered encomiums on the senior manager and his team of officials, and said

   "Mr . Jagdish, 

   The task given to all the teams was about the excellence of customer relationships, but You proved not only excellence in customer relationships but also in staff relationships. Yours is the only team which conducted 24 meetings and fully achieved the target. 

   The Inspection team gave the rating, 'Excellent'.

   But I would say, you deserve and

       YOU HAVE GOT THIS

    -------------------------  

November 03, 2023 15:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.