Visions

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

Being isolated with your demons is the worse thing that can happen. Especially when you're locked in a room with no light or sound. Only a single door with no way out. It's a scary thing and with each day that goes by I get lonelier and more consumed by my visions. I can't even tell what's real anymore. Sometimes I can't even breathe. I'm alone and afraid.

Every once in awhile a tall man with dead sunken eyes comes into my room with a little black bag. He takes a seat and puts his bag on the floor without breaking his gaze towards me. I never dare to look away. I'm always afraid that he'll hurt me and I even begin to cry. He just sits there not saying a word. The silence is the worst part.

My heart is pounding so fast, it feels like my chest is about to burst. I'm starting to hear voices and I can't get them to leave me alone. I see shadows across from me sitting next to that man and I can hear them whispering to each other. It slowly goes silent again. My breathing gets heavier and heavier until I can't take it anymore. I begin to scream and pull on my hair before running up to that man and attacking him.

I dig my nails into his eyes scratching them until he's bleeding. His screams are filling the air. As he falls to the floor on his knees I grab the chair he was sitting on and beat him with it repeatedly until theirs blood everywhere. He's trying to crawl towards the door but I won't let him escape. The voices tell me he deserves to die. So I comply.

I hear someone whisper over my shoulder and as I turn to look I see his little black bag and reach for it. When I open it the only thing I see inside is a dagger. I grasp it tightly in my hands as I begin to cry as the screams go silent. I kneel in front of him, grab him by the hair, and stab him in the throat repeatedly. Standing over him I roll him onto his back.

But to my surprise, he has a smile on his face. I kneel over him and stab him in the chest. He begins laughing. I slowly stand up and back away towards the wall. His continuous laughter filling the air. Tears are flooding my cheeks. I slide down the wall and continue to cry into my hands as his laughter goes silent. I take a look in between my fingers before moving my hands away. He's just laying there. Blood everywhere and an awful grin on his face. The voices only getting louder.

Suddenly they go quiet as someone starts to knock on the door. I get up off the floor and run to the other side of the room. I look down at the body and at the blood that's all over me. I hear the door slowly open and to my surprise I see him standing there. The same man with his dead sunken eyes I just killed is smiling at me from the doorway. No stab wounds. No blood. Nothing. I walk towards him and slowly put my hand on his cheek.

He just stares at me not making a sound. I take a step back and slowly look over my shoulder. My heart sinks into my stomach as I realize their nobody on the floor. My hands are trembling as I look down on them. Theirs no blood on them. Not even on my clothes. I'm looking around for the dagger that I used to stab him with but it's nowhere to be seen. I don't understand what's happening. My breathing gets heavier and the voices start to come back louder.

February 07, 2020 19:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.