16 comments

Fantasy Horror Drama

WARNING: BLOOD, DEATH, KILLING INCLUDED. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT STUFF. OK, GO AHEAD. WAIT. PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK!!! OKAY, GO!


JACKSON'S POV:


By the time I step outside, the leaves are on fire. I curse. This was not supposed to happen. Then again, how can you trust some demon?

You're probably confused. Maybe I should explain.

~~~~~~~~~

When I got home from work, I could tell someone was in my house. I thought it was just my mom, or something. I was not expecting to see a boy my age with horns sitting on my couch.

He had curly brown hair, and light skin. I didn't know why, but he looked familiar.

"Ahh!" I screeched, backing into a wall.

He turned and looked at me. "Oh hello. Who are you?"

"What the hell are you doing in my house?" I demanded.

He blinked. "I'm not sure...I think I was running for my life..."

"Excuse me?"

Then he passed out on the floor. Of course he did. He had curly brown hair and pale skin. He also had a long scar on one cheek.

I was trying to live a simple life. It was utterly boring, but I liked it that way. My name is Jackson Ferlo. I have long black hair, and light skin. I lived by myself in that house. I tried to minimize my social interaction since I am not good with people.

I sighed, and picked him up. I couldn't just leave him there, could I? For some reason, the fact that he was a demon didn't scare or suprise me. I just wanted to know how and why he's in my house.

I waited until he woke up again. It was almost ten o'clock. I was eating a microwave dinner, and watching T.V.

"Can I have some?" He asked, scaring me.

I whipped my head to him. "Jeez, a little warning next time."

"Can I?" He struggled to sit up, reaching for my plate.

I shake my head, moving away. "I need some answers."

"To what? Trivia? Twenty Questions? Wheel of Fortune? A test?"

I closed my eyes. "Why are you here?"

"Good question. Ummm...I don't remember."

"How can you not remember?"

"Because."

"Okay. Okay." I muttered to myself. "It's fine. Do not get mad."

"My name is Arlo." He said.

I glared at him. "I didn't ask."

"Well, I thought you'd want to know."

"Why would I want to know your name?"

"Well, you have to help me save my brother!"

"I'm not helping you save your brother!"

"Thats what I'm here for!"

"I thought you didn't remember what happened!"

"I do now."

I put my face in my hands. "Fine, then. Why are you here?"


I was pacing around the room after he explained.

"How did you make a portal through my washing machine?"

"It was the dryer, but okay." He replied, picking at my plate.

Apparently, he was looking for his brother, but something made him come here. He's from some demon universe. There were these crazy angels searching for him, and if I didn't go with him, they'd kill me. His brother was the only one who could stop them. 

"Why would they kill me?" I demanded.

He dropped his feet on the couch. "Because you know too much."

"You just told me-never mind."

"So you'll come?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"I mean, yeah, but they'll probably start looking for you soon, and they'll start by burning down this house if you're still here."

I sighed. I don't really want to die. "After this is over, you are seriously going to owe me so much."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to where I started. The leaves from the tree in my front yard are on fire, along with the tree and the grass. And it's going towards my car.

"Arlo, get out here!" I demand.

He stumbles out, and stares at the flames. "Whoa. Cool."

"Are you serious?" I complain, dragging him to my car.

He sits in the passenger seat, and I start the car. "Where do we go?"

"Ummm..."

I look at him. "You're kidding."

"Not really."

I curse, and pull out of the driveway. "Start thinking."

"About what?"

I groan. "How did you forget something this important?"

"I didn't forget! I just...misplaced the information."

"Well find it!"

When we're out of the neighborhood, he remembers something. "I remember this place! This is just what our dimension looks like!"

"So? Where are we going?" I keep checking the mirror to make sure we're not being followed.

"Take a left." He says.

I do. "If we get lost I'm going to kill you."

"Please don't." He replies. "Take this turn."

How can he be so calm? We're literally being chased by demons. Oh, excuse me, "Crazy Angels."

After a while, he tells me to stop the car.

"Here?" I demand. We're at the bottom of a mountain. I didn't even know there was a mountain near this town. There shouldn't be. There isn't.

"Where are we?" I ask him. "I'm not climbing that. No way"

"This is Demon Hill. And I'm pretty sure it's the only way to live at this point."

"Fine." I grumble, getting out of the car. "And this is not a hill."

We started walking up the mountain, me complaining the whole time. It's getting dark, and hard to see.

"I'm going to die on this mountain." I say. We're not even halfway up yet.

"We've literally been walking for twenty minutes."

"Maybe I wasn't talking about walking, Arlo. Maybe I'm talking about the fact that there are 'crazy angels' after us. Or maybe because my house burned down. Or maybe because we're probably going to die."

Suddenly the ground opens up, and we fall through a hole and hit the ground hard. I groan, gripping my side.

"I think I broke my spleen." He whispers.

"You don't even know where or what your spleen is." I hiss.

The hole closes, leaving us in darkness. He whimpers, and reaches for my arm. Metal bars rise, trapping us in a huge cage.

"Are you seriously scared right now?"

"Yes!"

"Then we're dead."

My life depends on this guy? Seriously?

"Are you two done?" A bored voice asks. A single light goes on, illuminating a man's face. Arlo grips my arm.

"Where are we?" I demand. I know. Not the best idea. But I'm really mad right now.

The man is sitting in a chair in front of us. He’s wearing a black suit, and has straight black hair. He has two horns, just like Arlo. He also has a gun lying on his lap.

He sighs. “Didn’t you tell him anything, Arlo?”

“Who is he?” I ask Arlo who’s hiding behind me.

He swallows. “My dad.”

“Of course it is.” I mutter. 

The man starts walking around us, and other lights turn on.

We’re in the middle of a huge white room. The only other thing in there is the chair Arlo’s dad was sitting in, and a door.

“We’re going to die.” I annonce. 

The man shakes his head. “Not now. You’ve still got about a day.”

“Oh, thanks. That’s much better.” I snap.

He chuckles. “I wouldn’t be rude to me if I were you.”

“Good thing you’re not me.” I grumble.

Arlo looks at me. “Apologize to him, or we’re going to die.”

“Sorry,” I mutter. 

He nods, says, "Don't go anywhere." Then leaves the room cackling.

I look at Arlo. "I hate you."

“Why? I’m awesome!”

I ignore him, and hit the bars. “How do we get out of here?”

Suddenly, demons come in, and start reaching through the bars for us. We both scream, and I back into the middle of the cage. Arlo isn't as fast, and one of them grab his arm.

"Help!" He yells.

I kick the demon's arm, and drag Arlo to the middle, away from them.

"What do we do?" I ask him, pushing my hair out of my face.

“I can summon a spirit to help us.” He tells me, still gripping my arm.

“You can summon a spirit to help us?” I say. "And you're just now telling me this?"

He nods. “Yeah.” He stares at me like I'm crazy.

“Do it already!” 

His eyes widen. “Oh, yeah, sorry!”

While he’s doing whatever it is he has to, I pull out my phone and call my mom. Someone should know I'm going to die, even if its her.

“Mom?” I say when she answers.

“Jackson, honey. You haven’t called in a while.”

“Yeah, mom, I’m probably going to die, so…”

“Is that so? Well, have you made your will? I expect I’ll be getting quite a bit, correct?”

I hang up. This is why I don't call her. She only cares about my money. I throw my phone through the bars where it hits a demon in the face.

“Did it work?” I ask, turning to Arlo.

He nods. “He’s killing the guards in the hallway right now.”

“Okay.” Because what else do I say?

After a minute, the doorknob rattles. Then someone punches a hole in the door. 

“Whoa.” I say. “Is that your spirit?”

He nods. “That’s Chase. He's really cool.”

“Wait, you know the spirit?” I ask.

He nods again. “We’re...friends.”

The door breaks, and a boy our age stands there. He’s got messy red hair, and freckles. His clothes are splattered dark red with blood, and he grins at us, a huge stick in his hand.

He starts swinging at the demons, until they all lay on the floor.

“Arlo!” He shouts. He runs over, dropping the stick, and pulls two of the poles out of the ground. Arlo climbs out, and they hug each other.

“Great.” I mutter, squeezing through the bars. “I get to deal with two of these idiots.”

This was seriously not how I thought I’d be spending my weekend.

“C’mon, crazy angels will be here soon.” Chase tells us. He goes to a wall, pressing the bricks, looking for something. Suddenly a door opens, and they run through the opening.

“He’s scary,” I hear him tell Arlo.

Grumbling, I follow them. I'm not scary. Right? We run through the long hallway, which I realize is going up. Soon, we find another door that leads outside. Arlo opens it. And...we’re at the bottom of the mountain. 

“What idiot left their car here?” He exclaims, running towards it.

Arlo glances at me, and I frown. “I thought we had to be at the top of the mountain.”

“Nope.” Chase says. 

He opens the door, which I left unlocked. He sits in the front seat. “I don’t know how to start it.” 

Smirking, I hand him the keys, then climb into the back. He looks terrified. "This is your car?"

“Start it!” I yell. Again, not a people person.

He jumps, then starts the car as Arlo shuts the door of the passenger seat. 

 The fact that I’m terrifying to this guy isn’t helping. He just killed a bunch of guys, and I'm scaring him. He drives onto the road, going way too fast.

“You’re speeding!” I shout at him. 

He glances back at me. “I read the sign!”

“And?”

“I thought about listening!”

“Oh my god.” I say, slumping in my seat. If we get pulled over, we’re so dead.

Then I scream. A thing that I assume is a ‘crazy angel’ is outside the window. It's got huge white wings, and sharp claws.

Arlo looks back, and screams too. So does Chase.

“Shut up!” I scream at them. The angel breaks the glass, and reaches for me. I try to kick it, but it just tackles me. I hit the floor, and it scratches at my face. I twist away, but it grabs my hair and yanks me back towards it. I punch it several times, until it lies there with its hands over its head. I get up, backing away from it.

“Do something!” I yell. Chase had stopped the car, and they were both gawking at me.

I look away as Chase kills the angel. I’m seriously going to have to burn this car when this is over. There is blood everywhere.

“Wait, I’m supposed to sit back here with a dead body?” I demand as Chase starts driving again.

Arlo turns around in his chair. “Yeah. What’s the problem?”

“I can think of at least five good reasons why I don’t want to be in a car with a dead body. No, ten. No, actually, fifty.

“Are you done?” Chase asks, glancing back at me.

I scowl. “No, I’m not done! I’m in a car being driven by some manic spirit, and his demon friend! We’re being chased by crazy angels that want to kill us! There is a dead body in my car, and my house is probably destroyed! So no! I’m not done!”

“Do you think he’s tired?” Arlo asks Chase.

He nods. “He’s been up all night, right?”

“Are you serious?” I demand. They ignore me. For some reason, that shuts me up. Usually people run off, or yell back. Ignoring me is actually pretty smart, though I’d never admit this to them. Maybe they aren't so bad.

I grumble something, then lay down on the seat, and go to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Should we tell him?” I hear Arlo say when I wake up. I don't move, listening. The car is parked, and their sitting in the front seats. One of them found a blanket, and put it over me.

“If we don't, he’ll figure out on his own, then he’ll probably kill us.”

“No he won’t.”

"Have you seen him? He's really scary."

"No he's not. He's just...mad. Really mad."

"Scary mad."

"He won't hurt you, calm down."

"If he kills me-”

“He won’t. Don't worry.” Am I really that scary? 

“So do we tell him?”

“Tell me what?” I ask.

They both jump, and turn, looking terrified. 

“N-nothing…” Chase says. “Don’t kill me.”

“I won't. What happened?” I ask, sitting up.

“Well, according to the radio, you’re dead.” Arlo tells me.

I blink. “Seriously?”

“Yeah…”

They thought I’d get mad about that? “Cool.”

“Cool?” They exclaim.

I nod. “My life was boring. Now I don’t have to do anything I don’t want to do.”

“So you’ll stay with us?” Arlo exclaims, leaning over his seat towards me.

I lean away. “I didn’t say that.”

“Please?” He begs.

Him and Chase both lean towards me, making puppy eyes.

Well...I don’t really have anything better to do. I mean, I'm "dead", right?

“Fine. But I’m driving.” I mutter, pushing the blanket away. "Let's go find your brother."

October 10, 2020 11:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Jennifer Osborne
18:31 Nov 02, 2020

I will def. be reading the part 2! I like how you blend gore with humor. Are you working this into a novel? I'm only asking because of the many parts.

Reply

Ari Berri
18:44 Nov 02, 2020

I'm really glad you liked it! It's not a novel, just a writing idea I wanted to try.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dalyane Deblois
23:19 Oct 22, 2020

I chose to leave feedback on this one since it is part 1. It was a very entertaining read and your characters were pretty funny, especially Arlo. The plot evolves pretty fast but I don't really mind it. I feel like you could be more descriptive if you wanted though. Really loved and enjoyed it! Great job!:)

Reply

Ari Berri
00:32 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm not great at discriptions, but I'll work on it.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
00:37 Oct 23, 2020

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! The story is still really great though:)

Reply

Ari Berri
01:03 Oct 23, 2020

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out some of yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Dialogue! I love it! sorry for so late! good story!

Reply

Ari Berri
04:05 Oct 15, 2020

It's fine, I'm glad for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:23 Oct 14, 2020

I love thriller and horror so this was such a fun read! I like that it was dialogue heavy rather than descriptive but that's just my personal taste! The way you slowly revealed more and more information about what was happening was very well done and it kept the reader hooked. Amazing job!

Reply

Ari Berri
16:56 Oct 14, 2020

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shae Greyfeather
00:03 Oct 11, 2020

Maybe less dialogue. For some reason, it felt like the story is going really fast but that might just be me.

Reply

Ari Berri
00:08 Oct 11, 2020

Yeah, I think I'm going to add more to it, I just didn't want it to have too many words. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
00:18 Oct 11, 2020

That happened to me, I literally had 90% dialogue in a book I tried writing and I didn't realize that until a family member read it and said "there's to much dialogue". Now I try to have almost none.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shae Greyfeather
00:18 Oct 11, 2020

That happened to me, I literally had 90% dialogue in a book I tried writing and I didn't realize that until a family member read it and said "there's to much dialogue". Now I try to have almost none.

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
00:19 Oct 11, 2020

Sorry for the double reply, my tablet was being slow and I accidentally clicked reply twice

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
00:19 Oct 11, 2020

I usually have a lot of dialouge too, probably because I can write that better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.