Meeting God and Devil in one day

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

0 comments

Christian

It started out as a normal day, during a time of being heavily addicted to crack and other drugs. Life consist of stealing, lying and turning tricks to acquire money to get high.

After getting high all day the money had finally ran out and nightfall had come. Time to hit the streets for the next piece of change.

Walking around with my pockets rubbing together because they are so empty, I decided to walk along Broadway and 151st. street, this was a direction I do not usually go but knowing there was nothing going on on 145th, I figured I will try my luck....a car pulls up and a guy yells to me to stop, wow, my lucky night...I thought. We negotiate a price of $200, and I get in the car. He starts to drive over the bridge leaving NYC, I ask where are we going, and he states just across the bridge to pick up someone else so we can really have a great time.

At first I was ok, until we continue to go farther and farther down New Jersey turnpike, again I ask where we are going turning to look at him. As I looked in his face he appeared to transform into something so evil and scary looking that the hair on my arms stood up and I felt a chill of fear creep thru my whole body. I tried to ignore it but the fear was overwhelming and I knew I was in trouble as we rode down the darkness of the turnpike. I thought about jumping out but that was not an option as we continued to ride in silence. Again I asked where are we going and how much farther. Just a little more down the road he says. In my heart I knew he was lying. Suddenly, I start to pray and asking for forgiveness of my sins and overall protection of my soul. I did not know how this was going to end, but I did no expect it to end well.

Finally, we came to a rest stop and he pulls in and stated he was going to get gas. He gave me some money and told me to go inside and get something to eat, walking away I continue to pray for a way out and asking God to protect me.

I ordered some burgers and sodas, and went back outside, he was nowhere in site. I walked around the whole rest stop and he was definitely nowhere in sight. Immediately, I began to cry, and started cursing myself for being so dumb and careless. How was I going to get back to NYC, I had spent all the money he gave me on food.

I started walking on Jersey Turnpike, in the direction we came, it was dark and scary, my mind started playing tricks on me from the fear, as I cried and walked. I threw the food away and continued walking and crying, because no cars or trucks seem to be coming my way. Finally, I looked back and saw lights coming my way, I decided to put out my thumb for a ride, the truck continued to pass me by. After what seemed liked minutes, I looked ahead and the truck had stopped. Not sure what to do I started running to catch up to it. Leary and thinking about what had just happened, I approached with caution.

The driver sticks his head out and says, come on I am going as far as 181st, street across the bridge into NYC. He said I do not usually do this but God told me to pick you up. I gave a sigh of relief and jumped into the truck, immediately, the man started to tell me of the life of Jesus and how he loves me and want me to give me life to Christ, he spoke of the Lord all the way across the bridge into NYC, he left an impression I will never forget.

I had to get back downtown from there but that was the easiest part of my whole night.....one thing for sure I new that God had answered my prayers and saved me from certain danger. Once I got home, I cried from relief and reflected on what I had just experienced. I began to thank God for saving me and answering my prayer. I knew that it all seemed unreal, but I know what had just transpired and that it was a revelation on how I was being protected by Gods grace and mercy once again. I stayed inside for the rest of the night. The fear stuck with me but the gratefulness I felt was greater. I went to my roommate and shared the story with him, of course he did not believe me but I know that I was saved from only God knows what. I would also like to say that I changed my ways that day, but I did not. The very next day the addiction was at an all time high and I was at it again, stealing, lying and turning tricks to get money for drugs. Eventually, I allowed God to come into my life and deliver me from the streets and the addiction. The word says that Jesus is the truth and the light, and that the Devil is darkness and there is no truth in him. I know that their is power in prayer. I sometimes wonder what made that guy leave? I like to think that as I saw the transformation of evil in his face, he saw the Archangel Michael or Gabriel standing over me with a mighty sword ready to fight off the evil that was planned for me that night, so he had no choice but to leave me stranded, knowing he could not do any harm to me. One thing for sure, I know I had met God and the Devil in the same day. And that a truth continues coming to light.

May 02, 2021 21:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.