Un-Named

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about activism.... view prompt

2 comments

General

June 6, 2020. Minneapolis, MN.

I’ve never been called a traitor before.

I’ve been called a lot of things. Boy, Negro, Son, Asshole, smooth, boot-licker, Baby, Bae, Babe, brother…you get the picture. As of four months ago, I’ve even been called a Father.

But traitor is new.

The man in front of me, I overheard someone call him Brad, is screaming that so close to my face that I can see his spit on my visor. I can see the building behind me burning in his eyes. I can almost smell the violent lust in his sweat.

When did I become a traitor?

August 10, 2014. Ferguson MO.

“Boy, you need to step back.”

“Fuck you! What, are you gonna shoot me like you shot Michael Brown? Come on then, I ain’t afraid to die.”

“I said, step back…now.”

“I’m stayin’ right here Bitch. If you wanna make me move, then carry me away in a body bag. These are our streets now. You fucked up. We’re not gonna make this peaceful anymore.”

August 11, 2014. Ferguson MO.

“Where’d you learn to do this Negro?”

“It’s called fucking YouTube. Now shut up, we’re almost there.”

“Alright take this. When I say, throw it high and far. You don’t want it to spin, or the rag might fall out.”

“You got a light?”

“You think I wouldn’t come with a lighter? Really Tyrone?”

“Alright, alright. Hurry up, the cops can’t be far.”

...

“Holy shit! We gotta get out of here.”

“Nah, I’m gonna stay for a bit Ty. Watch the fucker burn.”

August 12, 2014. Ferguson, MO.

“Son, Where you been all night? I was worried about you.”

“I’m good Momma. I was just out with Tyrone. We went down to the protests.”

“I told you to stay away from there. The police don’t need another reason to shoot another black man.”

“We were just lookin’ Momma. Besides, They ain’t gonna shoot me if I’m on TV.”

“Boy, the only thing you should be worrying about is getting ready for college.”

“I’m all set for that Momma. I swear. I just can’t stay away from this. I won’t.”

“I don’t want to see my baby killed.”

“It’s ok Momma. You don’t have to worry about me. I’m just standing there.”

August 25, 2014. Ferguson, MO.

“Just like that? Just like that, and you’re going to let it go?”

“Fuck off, Asshole! We ain’t letting nothin’ go. People just don’t care anymore. The news is gone, off to the next thing.”

“We can get their attention again.”

“What, you wanna burn more shit down. We gotta start lookin’ forward.”

“Fuck you guys then. I’m outta here.”

April 11, 2015. Baltimore, MD

“Hey, I see you comin’ in here all the time. Would you, uh, wanna hit a movie tomorrow night?”

“You know, that was pretty smooth. Sure. My name’s…”

“Monica. Yeah, like I said, I see you comin’ in all the time. I’m usually the one that writes your name on your cup.”

“That’s you? It’s never right though.”

“Yeah, well, I figured writing Angel might get your attention.”

“That’s what that’s supposed to say? I thought it said Angie or something.”

“Uh, well. The cups are hard to write on?”

“Nice try smooth guy. Here, give me your phone, I’ll put my number in…”

April 27, 2015. Baltimore, MD.

“Get that fucker!”

“Woah, woah, woah, woah, hey, hey, hey. Guys, I’m with you.”

“The fuck you are you corporate boot-licker.”

“Guys, I just work there.”

“Exactly!”

April 28, 2015. Baltimore, MD.

“Momma, I’m fine. The doc says I didn’t break anything, just some bruises and a concussion.”

“Baby, you need to be careful. Stay away from those protests.”

“It was nothin’ Momma. Just a misunderstanding. I’ll know better next time.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I gotta make it more clear whose side I’m on. That’s the only reason they attacked me. If I’d changed out of my work clothes, nothin’ would have happened.”

“Oh Baby…”

“Don’t worry Momma, I’m good. Anyway, I want to tell you about this girl I’ve been seein’…”

April 30, 2015. Baltimore, MD.

“Angel, I’m sorry. I can’t pick up what you wanted after work. Is there something else you want for dinner?”

“Really? Why not Bae? I’m craving Chinese tonight.”

“The place you like, yeah uh, it looks like it got burnt down last night.”

“Wait, what?”

“Yeah, sorry Angel. Can I get you anything else? I think there’s another Chinese place around here.”

“No. It’s ok. I’ll just make something. Could you still come over though? I don’t want to be alone tonight.”

July 4, 2016. Baltimore, MD.

“So, Angel, I’ve been thinking. Would you want to leave Baltimore some day? There isn’t a whole lot here for us after we’re done with school.”

“Did you have somewhere in mind?”

“Not really, I just don’t want to be here anymore.”

“Well, we could go back to my home. My parents would love to meet you finally, and the Twins have a lot to offer.”

“Hey, yeah that sounds pretty good. I mean, it’s the Midwest though. It might be boring, but maybe boring is what we need.”

June 15, 2019. Minneapolis, MN.

“Babe…Babe!”

“Angel! What’s wrong?”

“Does this mean what I think this means?”

“What are you…?”

“Babe?”

“Angel. Are we ready for this?”

“We better get ready because it’s happening.”

“What do we tell your parents?”

“Are you kidding Babe? They’ve been waiting for this. You know how my Mom is.”

June 19, 2019. Minneapolis, MN.

“Can I help you young man?

“Can you tell me how to become a cop?”

“I sure can. Have a seat…”

February 1, 2020. Minneapolis, MN.

“You’ve all done exceptionally well these last months. You’ve worked hard. You’ve broken down and rebuilt yourselves. You should be proud of what you have done to get here, to this day. To all of you who have helped them to reach this point, I would like to thank you as well. Without you, I would not be able to call these fine men and women my newest brothers and sisters.”

February 29, 2020. Minneapolis, MN.

“…”

“Say something Baby.”

“I don’t know what to say to her.”

“Maybe start with saying hi. You’re her Father now.”

“Hi Angel. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“I like it.”

“What?”

“Angel. That’s a good name for her.”

June 6, 2020. Minneapolis, MN.

“You’re a fucking race traitor! How does it feel to work for your masters? Have you murdered any of your kind for them yet, or does that start next year?”

“Brad! Hey man, we gotta go. Everyone else is heading out to get to Chicago in time.”

“Fine, Steven let’s go. This Uncle Tom isn’t going to listen to me anyway. He’s too brainwashed by the system to listen to reason.”

June 7, 2020. Minneapolis, MN.

“Are you ok Babe?”

“Did you sleep?”

“…A little.”

“Monica…I’m so sorry.”

“For what?”

“You shouldn’t need to worry about me. Whether or not I’m coming home. Whether or not I’ll be around for you and Angel. Whether or not I’m gonna have a job.”

“Babe, shut up. You keep doing what you need to do. We’re not helpless. I’m not helpless. You just make sure to come back. Every morning, come back to us.”

June 13, 2020 03:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kira Krieger
19:08 Jun 19, 2020

I like how you started the story with a list of names then began each part with a name: it made all the parts feel more like a whole. April 11, 2015, was a nice relief from the horrible reality of the earlier ones. It's a nice refreshment that makes me able to go on. I'm confused by June 15, 2019. Are they having a baby?

Reply

Caleb Baeten
15:44 Jun 21, 2020

Thank you for the feedback Kira. To answer your question, yes. On that date, they found out that Monica was pregnant. It was intended as a dynamic turning point in the story where our un-named Protagonist makes the choice to leave behind who he was and to make the choice to become a police officer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.