0 comments

Christian Friendship Teens & Young Adult

Jesus, keep me near the cross,

There is a precious fountain,

Free to all, a healing stream,

Flows from Calv’ry’s mountain.

In the cross, in the cross

Be my glory ever,

Till my raptured soul shall find

Rest beyond the river.

Listening to the song, Febi sent a Whatsapp message to her friend Linu, "Hey! Linu... Are there the correct notes for the alto part?? "

"Yes. " She replied. 

"This song was taught by you dear. The chorus part changes to some sharp and minor notes" 

and Febi recorded the song and sent it to her. 

"Ha! Ha! Yes... It's another note" Linu replied. 

  Looking at the messages, Febi's mind looked back to the memories of their friendship.

  That was a beautiful day. The sweet Jamun trees gave their fruits on their hands, the neem spread its medicinal breeze and the daffodils and jasmine's spill their flowers welcoming her to the chapel. The gorgeous woman with the long hair tied like Rapunzel stepped inside the chapel, the peace spread everywhere by her presence as she is the faithful child of God. She walked and stood back to Febi in the choir.

  The morning service started with the song... 

  O happy day that fixed my choice

On Thee, my Savior and my God!

Well, may this glowing heart rejoice,

And tell its raptures all abroad.

   Happy day, happy day,

When Jesus washed my sins away!

He taught me how to watch and pray,

And live rejoicing every day;

Happy day, happy day,

 When Jesus washed my sins away!

The mesmerizing alto voice of Linu made Febi notice her. Linu smiled looking at Febi. Febi was an alto singer but she had a fear of singing alone. As none of the college students was in the alto voice, febi too sang soprano in the college choir. Linu's presence made febi jump with joy and happiness.

  From the next day, Febi accompanied Linu to sing. They became closer day by day. As both were literature students. They met often every day outside their classroom. 

  The university culturals arrived. Arlin, the pianist, formed a group for a group singing competition. Febi, Linu, Merryl and Micah were there. As they were discussing the event. They need to sing only the patriotic song for it. As it's Western singing, Arlin chose an American patriotic song. 

This land is your land and this land is my land

From California to the New York island

From the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters

This land was made for you and me

As I went walking that ribbon of highway

I saw above me that endless skyway

Saw below me that golden valley

This land was made for you and me.

 They practised well with the arrangement of three parts soprano, alto and tenor. The day has come to perform rehearsal in front of the professors in charge. The incharge staff member Sumathy Dennis appreciated their efforts but they suggested singing an Indian patriotic song, as their country is "India". Febi got tense as the competition nears within two days. Line said, " Don't worry, let's try to change the same lyrics. We don't wanna change the song".Everyone in the group started to think for a while and expressed the richness of India. The rivers, deserts, seas, national leaders etc. Line started to change the lyrics of the song... 

This land is your land and this land is my land

From the Himalayas to Kanyakumari

From the Kashmir mountains to the Indian ocean

This land was made for you and me

We all are Indians and proud to be so

Proud of our heritage and varied culture

Land of the buddha and Mahatma

This land was made for you and me.

  The university cultural day has arrived. As the university is the next district, they have to travel for three hours from their station. Febi stayed in her classmate Arlin's house as her home is far away and Linu stayed in the college hostel being a hostel student. Arlin's mother prepared breakfast for Febi and Linu as they all departed early in the morning from the college. During their event, they rocked the stage with their performance and they were the winner of the day. As their names were announced, everyone shared their happiness by making loud noises but Linu sat simply. "We should not exaggerate for anything" She replied as Febi asked the reason for her silence. 

In the morning they had their breakfast from the university. In the evening, Linu took the wrapped parcel of breakfast that Arlin's mom prepared and skipped having tea." we should not waste the food and also I respect aunt for preparing me breakfast early in the morning "Linu replied calmly for Febi's question. The day was gone. But Febi is amazed by the activities of Linu the entire day. She got much closer with Linu thereafter because she hadn't met such a person in her life.

 Linu too got closer, she taught more songs to Febi as she is more interested in music. And also she taught Carnatic songs, and a few techniques of parallel, minor, and sharp notes in western music, being a good trainer and expert in classical notations. The good training of Linu made Febi a confident singer.

  Being a senior at Linu, Febi finished her undergraduate degree a year before and she joined another college for her Master's degree. 

   The new college looks weird to Febi. She doesn't like to attend the morning service by seeing the behaviour of the choir students. A month passed, and Febi just went to college on time and came back home. Loneliness filled her and she missed Linu and her old college very much.

 It's time for cultural day. Febi couldn't sit without participating in a group singing competition. As none of her classmates was singers, she asked her seniors whether she can accompany them to sing the alto voice. They rejected her, she came back home as a broken soul. She contacted Linu and spoke for a while. "Why don't you form a group?? "

"Why do you stick with others to sing?? "

"You can train. You have the ability" Linu motivated her to comfort.

 The next day, Febi went to her college and chose Sofia, Reethu Prince, Nirosha, Sneha and Prithika and started to train them. As they are not aware of singing. She trained the timing by waving her hands. It worked well within a week. The day has come. Feb and her team rocked the stage and Christ shone upon them through their song.

  Lord, the light of your love is shining

Amid the darkness, shining

Jesus, Light of the world, shine upon us

Set us free by the truth you now bring us

Shine on me, shine on me

Shine, Jesus, shine

Fill this land with the Father's glory

Blaze, Spirit, blaze

Set our hearts on fire

Flow, river, flow

Flood the nations with grace and mercy

Send forth your word

Lord and let there be light

  The entire audience applauded with a standing ovation for their performance. Febi's eyes filled with tears thanking God and the entire team rejoiced as it was their first stage performance through Febi. The seniors who rejected her feel ashamed and moved from the place.

   After finishing her philosophical degree, Febi joined a college as an Assistant Professor. Meanwhile, Linu got married and moved to Bangalore city with her family. When Febi is given in charge of the literary committee, She has to give ideas for paintings, ballad singing etc.

 Being the backbone Linu helped her at every point of her life. She arranged tunes for various poems for Febi's students to rock. The learnings from Linu made Feb look at everything beyond situations. ie, The eyes that see the best in people, A heart that forgives the worst and a mind that forgets the bad. 

  Closing her eyes, Febi's heart smiled thinking of the sculptor of her life. A bond that bloomed and moved, now more than a decade not just because of "Music" but the true bonding of Heartstrings! which is spreading the rhythm of true friendship and love in their lives!

June 09, 2022 10:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.