1 comment

Adventure Science Fiction Suspense

“We have all the time in the world.”

Emma looked at the screen, Earth spinning helplessly, months fleeting by like seconds. Its beautiful blues and rolling greens were no match for the small, rocky planet on the screen beside it. The sunlight reflected meetly off the ashen surface. Its small hills traded colors from brown to black. It was a stark difference from inside the outpost, where the fluorescent lights were blinding and bounced harshly off the plastic white walls. The constant tug of the black hole nearby was deep in her chest. 

“But they don't,” Emma said stoutly enough, but Isaish's gaze lingered. “The longer we stay on this planet, the less time they have.”

Her crewmate Oliver stood beside her, surveying the long table filled with vibrant plants. Their white suits blended in with the surroundings minus the black communication systems around their arm and glinting pocket knives strapped to their belts. If anything went wrong, she could contact mission control. They wouldn't be here in time, but at least they would know what happened. 

“Letting your feelings get in the way of the mission again?” The blood rushed to her ears and drowned out the thrum of the equipment surrounding them. Oliver fidgeted awkwardly next to her. 

 “I would have done the same for you,” she said. Isaiah laughed. 

“At that time, maybe it was true. Now, I don't think so. You’ve got quite the target on your back. Rocket fuel isn't cheap.” 

Her expensive detour to save Dr. Youker ended in a large celebration. Still, behind closed doors, she was a liability and annoying to deal with. There was always a risk with her. That was why the government assigned Oliver as her crewmate. He was reliable and quiet. Deep down, she also knew it was why she got the mission near a black hole. The politicians wanted to be dead by the time she came back. 

Or they hoped she would die during it. 

Emma dropped her gaze. “Just show us what we came here for. You know we are on a schedule,” she winced at the irony. All the time that passed while saving Dr. Youker made her realize time wasn’t an infinite resource.

Isaiah held up a hand and motioned them to follow him outside. Through the back door, the fresh air was lush and familiar. The pebbled basalt crunched beneath their boots and the wind smelled of sulfur. A small fenced-off garden bloomed with crops, and the anemometer on top of the weather station listed slowly from left to right. The rain gauge had a few inches of water. She could hear their spaceship droning in the distance. 

The unfamiliar object was the dark metal machine about the size of an airliner engine, humming with power. Oliver passed behind her and began sifting through its metal compartments. The screen on the front flashed different meteorological conditions. 

Isaiah slapped a hand against its cone-shaped top. “It’s been a bitch to work with, but it’s coming along.”

“Coming along?” Oliver asked. “Look at all of these tests. Seventy-two degrees, a thirty percent chance of rain in the selected area. Success. Thirty-seven, sunny. Success. Bomb cyclone, 986 millibars. Success.” 

“That one was not fun.”

“So it works?” A cold feeling erupted through her body. “It works, and you didn't immediately tell us?”

“Time is an infinite resource.”

“Not to me! Not to them! We need to get this back to Earth before the drought kills all of them. ” Emma's voice broke as she pointed aimlessly at the sky. Her eyes began to sting with tears. “You’re a hero. You’ll get whatever you want for the rest of your life.” 

“Is that what happened to Recchia? He was on a pedestal for two months, then drowned out. Wormhole jumping isn't even impressive anymore. Clearly, you can even do it.”

Emma ignored the jab at her past. “They will force your hand,” she snapped. 

“Well, my hand can control Mother Nature now. I’d like to see them try.” His eyes were becoming wild and dangerous, almost egging her on. He began fiddling his fingers, pacing. 

“You’re holding Earth hostage. What do you want so badly?” 

“I want Natalie back.” Oliver looked up from his spot by the weather machine. His face was pale.  

“Reversing death,” Emma sputtered. “You’re crazy.”

Isaish kicked the dirt. “You’re telling me you have no one you want to bring back?” Images of her daughter crossed her mind. All the time she wanted had sunk into her daughter and took her before Emma was even forty. Memories she tried to let slip in the gaps of space-time. Isaiah grinned.

“I didn't say that. But I know it’s morally wrong. The nations agreed to end that project.”

Oliver coughed and Emma glanced over at him. Isaiah kept his eyes trained on her like a wolf to prey. She watched Oliver wiggle a small USB, then place it in his pocket. Mankind could build the machine a thousand times, but it wouldn't work without the code that processes the entire atmosphere and bends it at will. Above, the clear sky became spotted with clouds. A chill went down her spine. 

“I’m telling them it works.” Emma lifted her arm and began typing on her communication device. She began stepping backward toward the ship. Isaish leaped for her and with a twist of her arm threw her to the ground. She gasped and spat out the metal-tasting dirt. Her life monitor blarred as he yanked at her belt and unclipped her pocket knife. The blade glinted as he swung it down towards her. Oliver sprinted past toward the ship. She rolled over onto her back and put all of her force into kicking Isaish behind the knee. He dropped down just as she sat up to shriek into his ear. 

It was enough to keep him down for an extra second as she sprang to her feet and ran. The sky was filled with dark clouds now. Her lungs burned as she dared to look over her shoulder. Isaiah was only a few meters away. She turned back and watched Oliver step into the ship, then spin around to watch her. There was a woosh and a damp thud as she tumbled through the door, whorled around, and pulled it shut. 

“Oliver!” She looked down at him, her pocket knife planted deeply in his chest. Isaish slammed a fist against the window. A small crack darted across the glass. She looked down at Oliver again as another fist slammed against the side of the ship. “Oh, God.”

Emma jumped into the pilot seat and jammed the emergency take-off button. The clouds and the tears blurred her vision. There was always a risk with her.

January 27, 2024 02:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sabrina Green
14:49 Jan 30, 2024

Oh I love the Interstellar vibes that this gives! I'm a huge fan of your action sequence and how quick it the vibe shifted from relief to outright terror when Isaiah lashes out. Oliver and Emma working together just for that moment to try to save all of Earth even though at their principles they don't agree and it leading to Oliver's death...it adds such a good weight to "there's always a risk with her" that has me in awe!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.